Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This truck is way over priced! Glad I was not the only one who made the same mistake :mad

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Munster said:
This truck is way over priced! Glad I was not the only one who made the same mistake :mad

You got that right! I made the same mistake too but I just couldn't resist! I mean I couldn't stop thinking about it. I had to own one!! Over priced but to me well worth the payment. It's the enjoyment I get out of it and the pride of owning my very frist sexy, sporty convertible.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,062 Posts
Gotta Fall in Love

Munster said:
I'm sure I paid more for my truck than I should have, but I don't second guess myself anymore. Life is way too short for me (personally speaking) to do that. I have a really hard time putting a price tag on the feeling I get driving this truck and, after only 2000 miles, I am very much in love with it.

Munster - After you get some quality time behind the wheel you will forget all about the price you paid. Let it go. You need to enjoy this.

Carpe Diem.

Best Regards,

Mike

·
Yes, I have an ATTITUDE !
1,678 Posts
No Way

I got a GREAT deal on mine ! :thumbs I enjoy it when I can. So far this month of Sept. I have 200 hours of overtime, and my personel life is sometimes non-exsistance :glol

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Devastator said:
I got a GREAT deal on mine ! :thumbs I enjoy it when I can. So far this month of Sept. I have 200 hours of overtime, and my personel life is sometimes non-exsistance :glol
Just did 36 hours in the ER because of the weather! Over 350 patients. Burned Out!

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
No Way Part 2

Devastator said:
I got a GREAT deal on mine ! :thumbs I enjoy it when I can.
Ditto :agree

RickSSR :cool

·
Premium Member
9,312 Posts
No regrets - bought early, and had a blast the summer of 2004 when SSRs were very rare. Two long road trips, including a 3 week west coast cruise last November - what a blast.

My wife likes it, and loves to cruise. Lots of dinners out, winery tours, looking at new houses for ideas for ours, mostly an excuse to take it out and smile.

I've taken it to several car shows, and very few vehicles can match it as a magnet. So far, haven't run into another SSR at any of the shows, so I feel a duty to be there - is anything more fun than having a throng of people looking at it, and a little boy comes up and says 'Please, mister, can I see the top go up?" The looks of awe, and the pointing as the top does its magic are worth the purchase price.

Nothing on the show property - NOTHING!!! can match the SSR's attraction. When an older German dude all dressed in his racing whites leaves his Mercedes 300 SL gullwing to chat with you about the SSR, you've definitely made an impact.

26000 miles so far, virtually no problems - partly because I don't let minor issues get to me. The driveshaft tink is a quirk - not a problem. I'm not prepared to lose driving time to deal with it. The early SSRs had a tonneau hinge issue - it was addressed, and now it works great. I wash and wax regularly, and until it was brought up in this thread, I never noticed the hood gap - I still don't think it's an issue.

Find me any other vehicle on the planet that can match the SSR for looks, styling, function (hey - it's a pickup with actual sealed storage space) and a hardtop that folds in a way that's never been done before, and still gives you the feeling that you're driving a hot rod, without the aggravation of building and maintaining it. I don't think it exists.

If GM builds a 427 6 speed, I'd buy it in a heartbeat, and still keep the 03, mostly because I'd use the excessive depreciation as an excuse not to sell it.

Is there really a way to put a value on enjoying life? If there is, the SSR has been priceless.

Gotta go now - I need to rinse it off so we can go for another Sunday afternoon winery cruise.

Ray

·
Registered
153 Posts
A Very Leftover '04

I waited until the price came down to what I was willing to pay. :angel Mo-Dean was built 4/04 and when the 6 liter ‘05 was announced he began his year long sit on the lot. I was the only person to even look at him in at least 6 months. The dealer even sold 3 ‘05’s wile Mo-Dean “the purple people eater” just sat there on the lot, unwanted and unloved. FYI, I took him home on Sept. 17, 2005. I’m just a sucker for a sob story and a great price. :ssr :cool :seeya

Oh ya......I have the drive shaft "tink" and after being around a friends Morgan +8 (English roadster) that little noise is nothing. At lest I have hooding (roof) that is easy to erect.

:party

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,062 Posts
Nice job Flassh

You have expressed it far better than I could.

Thanks.

There are a lot of us that share the passion for the vehicle and the excitement of having something so unique that it even draws little old ladies across the market parking lot to ask you about your ride.

Mike

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
OK. So I paid full MSRP for mine. I spent the last 20 years paying full list price for my retirement Mutual Funds, also....I wonder which purchase cost me more percentagewise. On the other hand, my retirement funds are only worth what the day's price is at, and my SSR is worth what I WISH to sell it for at any particular moment. Lately that price is beyond most peoples' reach. You can choose to beat yourselves up or enjoy your life and your ride in the time you have left.
Wish you the best of whatever you choose to do.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
mikem-2005 said:
You have expressed it far better than I could.

Thanks.

There are a lot of us that share the passion for the vehicle and the excitement of having something so unique that it even draws little old ladies across the market parking lot to ask you about your ride.

Mike

:agree :seeya

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Munster said:

I could have cared less as to what the truck cost. I wanted it, I got it.
If you thought it was overpriced, Why buy it?
Drive it a while and the price issue should not be an issue anymore... :thumbs

·
Registered
66 Posts
KySSR said:
I could have cared less as to what the truck cost. I wanted it, I got it.
If you thought it was overpriced, Why buy it?
Drive it a while and the price issue should not be an issue anymore... :thumbs
My feeling's EXACTLY. :jester Enjoy the ride
Semper Fi

·
180 Posts
Bargain for a production street rod!

Flassh said:
No regrets....
I've taken it to several car shows, and very few vehicles can match it as a magnet. So far, haven't run into another SSR at any of the shows, so I feel a duty to be there - is anything more fun than having a throng of people looking at it, and a little boy comes up and says 'Please, mister, can I see the top go up?" The looks of awe, and the pointing as the top does its magic are worth the purchase price......

Nothing on the show property - NOTHING!!! can match the SSR's attraction. When an older German dude all dressed in his racing whites leaves his Mercedes 300 SL gullwing to chat with you about the SSR, you've definitely made an impact......

Find me any other vehicle on the planet that can match the SSR for looks, styling, function (hey - it's a pickup with actual sealed storage space) and a hardtop that folds in a way that's never been done before, and still gives you the feeling that you're driving a hot rod, without the aggravation of building and maintaining it. I don't think it exists......

If GM builds a 427 6 speed, I'd buy it in a heartbeat, and still keep the 03, mostly because I'd use the excessive depreciation as an excuse not to sell it.

Is there really a way to put a value on enjoying life? If there is, the SSR has been priceless.

Ray
Couldn't agree more. Jim G. also sums it up really well in The SSR Experience. To paraphrase--
Try to find a small volume production street rod with equivalent styling, performance, uniqueness, personality, ride, with a warranty for 35-45K! The SSR is not merely worth every penny----It is a freakin' BARGAIN! (please note, not his exact words :lol )

Just bought a '52 Advance Design Chevy pickup that I intend to street rod. By the time I am finished and bring it up to near SSR level, it will easily eclipse what I paid for the SSR (and I paid sticker). Worth every penny and more! As Jim G. also mentioned, the value is only going to increase with time.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Munster is one of those whining guys that made an impulse buy and now regrets it. (opinion and speculation of course)

Some people like imports some people like American muscle and rarely do the 2 agree in my experience. But a true fan of automobiles doesn't treat them like commodities. They treat them like mechanical works of art for fun and driving.

Coz :reddevil

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Coz said:
Munster is one of those whining guys that made an impulse buy and now regrets it. (opinion and speculation of course)

Some people like imports some people like American muscle and rarely do the 2 agree in my experience. But a true fan of automobiles doesn't treat them like commodities. They treat them like mechanical works of art for fun and driving.

Coz :reddevil

:agree What he said :agree

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Only the uninformed and the unrealistic dreamers think an SSR is overpriced.

Any attempt to treat this very unusual vehicles as a "normal production vehicle" is just as silly as the car mags evaluating it like they would a normal vehicle.

It is NOT normal.

GM is losing REAL money on every one they build, despite any fancy accounting to the contrary. I've been through that Lansing factory in person, and I see it through experienced eyes because I used to be a VP of Operations in a former career, in charge of design, manufacturing engineering, procurement, and manufacturing. I know what it costs to design, engineer, test, produce, and warranty a SIMPLE vehicle, let alone an exotic like this. There is NO way that 17,000 vehicles (produced, not even all sold yet!) over 3 years comes anywhere CLOSE to covering the costs.

IN the future, analysts will marvel that GM even tried to make this a production vehicle.

If you own one, you will have had an experience that few in life get to have.

Jim G

1 - 20 of 62 Posts