Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a check engine light and the code was PO442 and after checking the forum I'll get a new gas cap tomorrow.. The other thing that's talked about is a canister purge valve and a evaporative purge solenoid.. One is on the engine the other is on the canister.. Can someone tell there these 2 parts are located and pictures would be very helpful... And any other tips or information would be great..........

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur, top secret can't say anything about another one
7,298 Posts
One is on the top front of the intake manifold. The other is on top of the gas tank. The one on the engine is easy to change out. The one on the tank not so much so. Also what year is your truck? You might first want to try cleaning the neck and the seal on the gas cap first. Some times it is just dirty.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry it's an 04..
Okay I found the one in front of the engines, thanks.. I cleaned the tank neck and the old gas cap but I'll replace it and clear the code and see what happens..
So what you're saying is the canister purge solenoid is on the gas tank.......

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur, top secret can't say anything about another one
7,298 Posts
Being an 04 I would say you have a good chance of it being a bad gas tank neck. They are known to crack and throw codes. Best thing to do is put the truck up on ramps or a rack and clean around the gas tank neck where it goes into the tank check for any wetness around the neck. Then fill the tank and recheck. I went through eliminating all the other stuff and found the neck was slightly cracked you couldn't see it till the tank was dropped. Dorman makes a repair kit for it. Check out retro car guys videos he has a video of the tank repair.
And while you have the tank out may as well put anew pump in then. That fuel pump is getting close to 20 years old. Easy to change the fuel filter then as well. One last thing replace the clips on the fuel lines also.

·
SSR Enthusiast
2004 Chevrolet SSR #10111 Ricochet Silver
384 Posts
Font Line Art Engineering Auto part

Camera accessory Auto part Font Plastic Optical instrument

The one on top of the gas tank looks like this. I was able to change mine out on my 2004 by lifting the rear of the truck and then reaching up and unplugging the unit. Took some effort but was easier than dropping the gas tank. Cleared an ongoing P0446 code that wasn’t solved by replacing the other 2 sensors.

·
SSR Enthusiast
2004 Chevrolet SSR #10111 Ricochet Silver
384 Posts
@Bee75 , that is fuel tank pressure sensor not the canister purge valve.
You are correct. I actually replaced all 3 of the sensors chasing down the P0446 code. Replaced fuel cap, sensor under the hood, sensor on the side of the fuel tank and then, finally, the one on top of the fuel tank (as shown above)-the code then went away for good.

·
Premium Member
One Owner
150 Posts
@Bee75 , that is fuel tank pressure sensor not the canister purge valve.
Is this fuel tank pressure sensor also applicable to LS2 engines? The PO446 code appeared on my ‘05 over 10 years ago, and has been a constant companion ever since. I have also replaced my cap and the 2 common selonoids. Can Bee75 or Autoproof provide the appropriate GM part number for the pressure sensor?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the information, but I still don't know where the canister purge valve is located.. If I have to go through this mess I want to do the easiest replacements first.........

·
Premium Member
3,560 Posts
Here is a picture of one, that should help you find it on top or near the gas tank.

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,723 Posts
Here is a picture of one, that should help you find it on top or near the gas tank.

That is not located on the top of the gas tank. For the 2003/2004 SSR, It's located at the front of the intake manifold just behind the throttle body.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design Hood

The 2003/2004 SSR fuel tank pressure sensor and the canister vent valve are located at the upper/rear section of the fuel tank. They can be somewhat easily reached since they are not on the very top of the fuel tank.
Hand Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive fuel system
Vehicle Fixture Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exhaust

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I replaced the gas cap today and there was quite a difference in the tightness of the new one.. I will take it by a auto shop and get the code cleared and see what happens..
Thank you for all the help and pictures and Robert's videos..
After I get the code cleared it will take a couple days to see if that did it, I'll let you know.......
Thanks again..............

·
Premium Member
2005 Aqua Blur 6 speed
33 Posts
I had this code pop up one day. Bought a new gas cap as a knee jerk reaction before I looked closely at the old one. There was a bunch of gunk on the delrin sealing ring. Cleaned it and the sealing surface with a rag and now I have a spare new gas cap.

Btw, many inexpensive scan tools can reset that code for you, and it may reset itself. I have a Foxwell NT510 Elite with the GM software package that understands the r very well. It can troubleshoot the top, turn things on and off, change settings, and more. I think I paid $160 for it and it's worth every penny.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I insulted a new gas cap an cleared code PO442 and I'm pretty sure it worked.. But after about 100 miles I got the Check Engine light again.. This time the code was PO 171 and PO 174, system lean on bank 1 and 2.. but no PO442.. Since both banks read the same and the information said fuel mixture lean, I took off the Mass Air Flow Censer and cleaned it, cleared the code and I see what happens....... The saga continues........

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
11,272 Posts
I insulted a new gas cap an cleared code PO442 and I'm pretty sure it worked.. But after about 100 miles I got the Check Engine light again.. This time the code was PO 171 and PO 174, system lean on bank 1 and 2.. but no PO442.. Since both banks read the same and the information said fuel mixture lean, I took off the Mass Air Flow Censer and cleaned it, cleared the code and I see what happens....... The saga continues........
Have you checked your fuel pressure?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts