Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why I have some white stuff on the foam on the underside of the hood? Why is foam there anyways?

·
Registered
468 Posts
I'm not sure what they use on the roads in Illinois, but in Colorado, that stuff is Magnesium Chloride road treatment that's been blown up into the engine compartment. You should be able to hose it off without too much difficulty.

I avoid driving the SSR when the roads are wet with that stuff - they spray it prior to a snowstorm here to try to keep the roads from icing up. It does work, but it's pure hell to get it off of your car.

The hood insulator is just that - it helps keep engine bay heat reflected back into the engine bay, and it also helps with noise suppression.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My SSR had the "white stuff" on the black underhood pad when I picked it up at the dealership. The car had 3 miles on it, it was the end of Nov., and no snow or salt had been on the roads yet. I managed to rub most of the white stuff off with a cotton towel but I still don't know what the stuff was. Sort of powdery, not granular. Maybe some type of polishing compound?

·
Registered
413 Posts
white stuff

mine came off carrier covered in salt from train ride south white residue was on hood insulator at that time I assume it blew up from bottom as is was on other underhood parts dealer cleaned it up but stain keeps coming back after 3 cleanings The dealer has me a replacement ordered

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
don, what is the dealer replacing for you?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
can it be from the detergent used to clean the car?

·
Registered
413 Posts
white stuff

replacing hood insulator not from detergent on mine as I was standing there when mine was unloaded off carrier and it was on it then

C

·
0 Posts
If your engine gets moisture on it, and sits for a few days it will develop a white powder on the aluminum surfaces. Could this stuff be thrown onto the hood pad when the engine is started? Just a guess.

W

·
0 Posts
No powder when new but after about 1,000 I had the powder also. Cleaned it off and it hasn't come back.
Think I'll pull the pad and check under it to be sure I don't have any corrosion starting.
After all, I want it to still look good in the year "2053" for our 50th get together. Wait a minute, lets make that year "2028" for the 25th cause by the 50th I'd most likely look like cruzned's license plate holder.
If I find any powder under the pad I'll let everyone know.

Regards - John

C

·
0 Posts
If you take the hood pad off, I would like to know if it is completely painted under there. Check it out for us:D

W

·
0 Posts
Okay - I will let you know on the paint - I noticed some very thin areas of paint under the hood outside of the pad so I suspect it will most likely be just a mist under the pad - might surprise us though!
Regards - John

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
RedTn.SSR said:
My SSR had the "white stuff" on the black underhood pad when I picked it up at the dealership. The car had 3 miles on it, it was the end of Nov., and no snow or salt had been on the roads yet. I managed to rub most of the white stuff off with a cotton towel but I still don't know what the stuff was. Sort of powdery, not granular. Maybe some type of polishing compound?
When I picked up my '06 SSR in April. I saw white stuff on the hood pad. Dealer said he would order me a new one and ship it to me. (Dealer in OH I'm in VT). I received it with 2 corners bent. :banghead So I just received the replacement with 3 corners bent. :banghead :smash Once they get bent they break. Has anyone had a problem with bent corners on there hood pads? I think maybe when they wrap it in bubble wrap to ship they bend and break them. Any thoughts?

·
2005 SSR LOW MILES
2,203 Posts
ChevySSR said:
If your engine gets moisture on it, and sits for a few days it will develop a white powder on the aluminum surfaces. Could this stuff be thrown onto the hood pad when the engine is started? Just a guess.
:agree :agree :agree :agree :agree
THATS WHAT HAPPENED TO MINE HAD DEALER REPLACE IT

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
SSR6SPD said:
:agree :agree :agree :agree :agree
THATS WHAT HAPPENED TO MINE HAD DEALER REPLACE IT
Get "Pig Spit" its made for motorcycle engines. It will get rid of this white stuff on your engine and keep it from re forming. :smash

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Yes I got some of the white stuff on the hood insulation of my SSR. Some of it may have come from the roads on the way to Lansing Michigan when I took the tour. It's probably from the salt on the roads. When the insulation gets damp the salt probably adheres to the dampness of the insulation. I being the fanatic I am just wiped it off with a damp rag a few times and wa la. Plus I try to never drive my baby in rain or snow. When I took it to Lansing there was nothing but sun when I left Chicago but when I hit MI all hell broke loose. Hasn't seen snow since and only got caught once in the rain because I didn't check the weather first.

My .02.​

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
We thought it was road salt, but it is apparently part of the binder that holds the insulation together. It forms these white marks when it gets wet. I am not sure how to remove it.

·
Premium Member
9,216 Posts
My 06 had some white marks on it when it was delivered. Simplest is to take the blanket of and spray it lightly with flat black spray paint.

I kept the 03 hood blanket because of the metal letters. Resprayed it - looks like new again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts