Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
John and Suzie
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to my Volunteer job at Addison Flight Museum on Tuesday I saw steam coming from under the hood just as I pulled into my parking space. Glad it was not the side of the road.

Opened the hood, let the steam clear and found that the upper heater hose plastic push on connector had snapped off at the heater connection.

Tried auto parts stores, the dealer, etc. DISCONTINUED PART.

Snipped off the crimped hose clamp, took the broken plastic piece out of the hose, bought a screw type hose clamp, shoved the hose over the heater core inlet (or outlet, unclear on which), screwed the clamp down, poured in 3 1/2 gal of 50/50 peak antifreeze and all is well once more.

What a way to start the day. :wink2:

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
John :frown2: :frown2: :frown2: 's turned to :smile2: :smile2: :smile2: 's ... I agree it was good to be pulling into your designated parking space and not on the side of the road.

tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,785 Posts
I'm a little hesitant to bring this up since the hose clamp repair seems to work but I think I read a post from Mike Mora awhile back that stated the ends of the R's heater hoses were a different design than your standard heater hose and that you couldn't or shouldn't use these hose clamps to attach the heater hoses. Mike will hopefully chime in on this.

Dave

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,062 Posts
I'm a little hesitant to bring this up since the hose clamp repair seems to work but I think I read a post from Mike Moro awhile back that stated the ends of the R's heater hoses were a different design than your standard heater hose and that you couldn't or shouldn't use these hose clamps to attach the heater hoses. Mike will hopefully chime in on this.

Dave
You're right, Dave...... The heater core aluminum tubes that come through the firewall are actually the inner sealing surface for the O-rings in the quick disconnects. If the surface of those tubes gets damaged, you may experience a leak when the cooling system is at normal pressure.

If one of your tubes is damaged, there is not a repair process. You will need to replace the heater core. This is not a fun thing to do. It requires removal of the entire dash assembly and opening of the HVAC suitcase. GM quotes about 16 labor hours to do the job.... gag.

My two cents....

Mike

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,062 Posts
you do what you gotta do to get'r home
I agree, John....... I had a set of heater hoses start leaking on me during a 3500 mile road trip. I did a field repair as well...... Hope you weren't offended by my direct response....

ya gotta do what ya gotta do..... especially when you are not on home turf.

I just wanted to discourage anyone who thought that clamping hoses to those soft aluminum lines was a permanent shortcut to installing the right part....

Mike

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
It happened to me too

you do what you gotta do to get'r home
I had the same thing happen. I was a mile from home when a motorist pointed at my truck and told me to pull over. Sure enough the heater hose connector broke and steam was everywhere. I had it towed home and assessed the situation. The local auto supply had a replacement push on connector that worked perfectly. I checked with Mike in AZ who delivered a complete hose set to Denison last year. I installed it and now I have a spare for someone to get them on the road again.

·
Georgia SSRers
1,008 Posts
clamps

I agree, John....... I had a set of heater hoses start leaking on me during a 3500 mile road trip. I did a field repair as well...... Hope you weren't offended by my direct response....

ya gotta do what ya gotta do..... especially when you are not on home turf.

I just wanted to discourage anyone who thought that clamping hoses to those soft aluminum lines was a permanent shortcut to installing the right part....

Mike
MIKE , do you have the correct clamps available ? Do you recommend replacing the old ones before any problem occurs ?

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,062 Posts
MIKE , do you have the correct clamps available ? Do you recommend replacing the old ones before any problem occurs ?
I do not have the clamps for the water pump connection of the heater hoses. You just have to re-use the old ones. The hose attachments on the firewall are not clamped. They are quick-disconnect fittings. Those are an integral part of the heater hoses.

Regards,

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts