Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a GPS unit that I can attach to the end of a gooseneck flex cable with a 12v plug on the end so I can plug into one of the 12v accessory outlets on the SSR. Sort of like the gooseneck light that someone else mentioned they got from Sears. Anyone know of a unit that would hook up like this? Did this post even make sense??? :D :D

·
OP
8,225 Posts
yes it made sense

I would recommend the Tom-Tom Go series. I have the 700. You can order from www.bestbuy.com

It comes with a suction cup mount and AC and DC power cables for home or auto.

I mounted mine on the far left side of the windshield so as not to create a blind spot for the driver. I ran the cord down the left side of the dash behind all the plastic and weatherstripping.
I actually installed another power adapter under the dash on the left side in front of the dummy pedal and actually spliced it into the OEM 12 volt power supply.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OP said:
I would recommend the Tom-Tom Go series. I have the 700. You can order from www.bestbuy.com

It comes with a suction cup mount and AC and DC power cables for home or auto.

I mounted mine on the far left side of the windshield so as not to create a blind spot for the driver. I ran the cord down the left side of the dash behind all the plastic and weatherstripping.
I actually installed another power adapter under the dash on the left side in front of the dummy pedal and actually spliced it into the OEM 12 volt power supply.

Good luck
Sounds like a nice install, but not what I had in mind. I don't want to mount to windshield. I'd like to have the unit on the end of the flexibile gooseneck (maybe 18-24 inches long) so I could position it where I can see it best.

·
OP
8,225 Posts
I totally understand.

The mount that comes with it is also the charger and speaker for the bluetooth speakerphone/handsfree feature.

The reason I like the mount is that I really never have to take my eyes off the road, it acts almost as a heads up display as it also displays current speed of the vehicle and it is all touch-screen controls.
They "may" offer non-glass mount, but I am not sure. Try their website, do a google search for tomtomgo.
I think it is www.tomtomgo.com

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
ssr blur said:
I'm looking for a GPS unit that I can attach to the end of a gooseneck flex cable with a 12v plug on the end so I can plug into one of the 12v accessory outlets on the SSR. Sort of like the gooseneck light that someone else mentioned they got from Sears. Anyone know of a unit that would hook up like this? Did this post even make sense??? :D :D

I have the Garmin IQue 3600 (which is a PDA) I had someone create a base that just strattles the drink holder (when the drink holder is out). I don't have a picture here at work to post. If I remember when I get home, I will post.

·
OP
8,225 Posts
pherrley said:
How about a picture or two of the Unit ? I like the Tom Tom as well but I wonder what it would look like installed..... :thumbs
I can do that. Try and get it done this weekend.

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GPS Install Pictures

pherrley said:
That looks cool as well. How did you mount it??? Pictures??

Anyone that has pictures of their GPS install would be appreciated. I love to see how other people have done things and pick up ideas. Thanks!! :thumbs

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
Here's my mount. I built an aluminum bracket and attached it to the console I built to hold my xm radio. The bracket is attached with 2 thumbscrews so it can be removed very easily. My unit is the Magellan Roadmate 360. I'm very happy with it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
lloger said:
Here's my mount. I built an aluminum bracket and attached it to the console I built to hold my xm radio. The bracket is attached with 2 thumbscrews so it can be removed very easily. My unit is the Magellan Roadmate 360. I'm very happy with it.
Love your home made housing that attaches to your dash and shifter box. :thumbs

·
Registered
27 Posts
WOW_FCTR said:
I have the Garmin IQue 3600 (which is a PDA) I had someone create a base that just strattles the drink holder (when the drink holder is out). I don't have a picture here at work to post. If I remember when I get home, I will post.
I use the IQue 3200 with the sandbag base accesory from them for my SSR and a ram mount for the bike. I really like the PDA/GPS combination when traveling.

For unit comparisons try Nextag
Loads of info here.

·
OP
8,225 Posts
Pics

This is the TomTom Go 700 in my SSR. I just downloaded John Cleese's voice for navigation. Quite entertaining.
I like the mounting because it is not permanent (if I choose) and it rides like a heads up display as well as gives me MPH in digital format. Also is nice that it is a hands-free speakerphone via bluetooth.

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OP said:
This is the TomTom Go 700 in my SSR. I just downloaded John Cleese's voice for navigation. Quite entertaining.
I like the mounting because it is not permanent (if I choose) and it rides like a heads up display as well as gives me MPH in digital format. Also is nice that it is a hands-free speakerphone via bluetooth.
Thanks OP and others for posting pics of your installs. Helps a lot to actually see what you guys have done.

·
OP
8,225 Posts
ssr blur said:
Thanks OP and others for posting pics of your installs. Helps a lot to actually see what you guys have done.
Next time I'm up in the Ticonderoga area but I will stay clear of Avoca, NY, southwest of you as I just settled up with the town Judge for the speed infraction that occured...

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OP said:
Next time I'm up in the Ticonderoga area but I will stay clear of Avoca, NY, southwest of you as I just settled up with the town Judge for the speed infraction that occured...
Whoops...there are a several towns notorius for speed traps. Whitehall, NY (25 miles south of Ticonderoga) has a 30 mph limit thru town and I don't think you want to be doing over 35. :nono Hope you get back up this way again. Lots of history in this neck of the woods.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts