Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a Garmin that has served us well. I am looking at getting another GPS but the one flaw in the Garmin that is an issue in whether i buy another Garmin is that if I am going on a long trip and want to secure accommodation say a couple of hundred miles away the Garmin does not tell me what accommodations or amenities at there unless I am less than 50 miles away from the destination. Does any of the other brands allow you to do this at the beginning of your trip?

Appreciate any help - Kiwi

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,145 Posts
Can you search the destination city on yours? I can on my Nuvi. Don't remember offhand how I did it but I did a search a couple times.

·
OP
8,220 Posts
TomTom is what I use/like...it has the feature you are looking for.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
garmin units allow you to sear any city- when you go to search, I think it says "Near" at the bottom. Click on that, then it will allow you to enter the town you are interested.

·
Premium Member
15,490 Posts
I have both Garmin and Tom Tom, they work equally well for me.

Tom Tom has a sense of humor.....I purchased a new one for Thumper for Christmas '09 - she took me to the Big Island of Hawaii for my birthday in January of 2010, on the Hilo side of the island the Tom Tom would say, repeatedly, the highway number and then say "HHH Wipeout Road" :glol

·
it's 5 o'clock somewhere!
16,288 Posts
Garmin will find your hotel. We were at Costco the other day and the salesman came over to chat when he saw us looking at the GPS'. He pointed at the 1490 I think, and said he owned one and liked it. He enter Kelowna and then searched for the Costco there and voila there it was.

·
Registered
263 Posts
We have the Tom Tom and they are good navigation devices but I also use the google app on my droid cell phone. This enables us to find any search feature and get us there, either hotel, store name, whatever.....very flexible. Also the app provides phone numbers of your search so you can call ahead.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
I have both Garmin and Tom Tom, they work equally well for me.

Tom Tom has a sense of humor.....I purchased a new one for Thumper for Christmas '09 - she took me to the Big Island of Hawaii for my birthday in January of 2010, on the Hilo side of the island the Tom Tom would say, repeatedly, the highway number and then say "HHH Wipeout Road" :glol
Sounds like the Saddle Road....the road that crosses the middle of the island rather than go around from Hilo to Kona.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all your input and info - maybe I think I need to upgrade to a new and better garmin or Tom Tom - my old one is getting pretty out of date now - so come on black friday specials - thanks everyone - Kiwi

·
Registered
28,760 Posts
thanks for all your input and info - maybe I think I need to upgrade to a new and better garmin or Tom Tom - my old one is getting pretty out of date now - so come on black friday specials - thanks everyone - Kiwi
Don't know if this will help but it my understanding that they have upgraded maps or programs that you can upload directly to your current Garmin. You might want to Google search that option first.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The current Garmins let you do this. My ten year old IQue does this! Sounds like time for a new GPS! Get the 1450 LMT - lifetime map updates, free, and traffic info live! Love mine.
thanks - looking at this one as there are some great black friday deals out there on this one.

thanks for your input - Kiwi

1 - 13 of 13 Posts