Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
OP
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading another thread about wiring a portable GPS unit I started shopping.

I just ordered the "TOM TOM GO700, you can find out more about it and others at www.tomtom.com

It has bluetooth technology and will also serve as a handsfree car kit for your cell phone while still navigating.

I'll install and let you know how it works.

·
RUBY SSR
320 Posts
ampmop said:
After reading another thread about wiring a portable GPS unit I started shopping.

I just ordered the "TOM TOM GO700, you can find out more about it and others at www.tomtom.com

It has bluetooth technology and will also serve as a handsfree car kit for your cell phone while still navigating.

I'll install and let you know how it works.
Hi OP:

How did the Tom Tom work out for you? I was thinking about a radio-level installation, what did you wind up doing? A windshield mount or something else?

It's driiving us crazy without a GPS, so if the Tom Tom works well, please let me know

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just a note for another make of gps.
I use the Garmin Street pilot 3
It's portable to move from car to car.
I love it. I have all maps of the U.S. unlocked. Bought it on ebay 3 years ago. Its alot cheaper now than what I paid for it. But its worth every PENNY!!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Garmin 2610 (not 2620) is the only one you should invest in. Do a search on the site.

·
Registered
63 Posts
gps

I have the 2610 garmin and it works great. You have to load the maps form your computer but they give you the program. The 2620 has been discontinued. Try GPScity.com. I have found they have the best price. The 2610 is about 600 dollars brand new. There is another new one called the 2720??? but it's about 800 dollars and I don't thin it's any better then the 2610. Any of them come with updates to the system no charge. check out garmin dot com for more details. Motordoctor

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
Donnysan said:
And I have considered getting one.

But, this voice command unit (no screen) is pretty impressive, though pricey.

http://www.advancednav.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_48&products_id=91&osCsid=3f1b079d989c85dcaf97fbf6dbfd3677

here are video demontrations of the unit

http://www.advancednav.com/video_gps.php?osCsid=3f1b079d989c85dcaf97fbf6dbfd3677

The video is interesting to watch but I wonder how annoying it would be after awhile. Not to mention, if you want to listen to the radio while driving, or even a book on tape. The voice is great, but I wonder if pictures are the way to go.

Wehn they can incorporate the XM Radio into their system, then i will look closer at it, until then, I like my Road Atlas (on the road) and Mapquest, before I hit the road.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Any GPS system is not annoying in that you can turn the sound down or off as you travel on those long stretches of interstate. I travel with a Magellan Roadmate and listen to books on cd just fine. I have the magellan 500 with maps on a 2 gig cf card of the entire US. I agree that the Garmin 2610 with a 2 gig flash card is a winner because of the lower price and the fact that you can design a trip with multiple stops and it will calculate the best route. The Garmin had a handy bean bag dash mount and either can be had with a windshield suction cup mount. Read up on them all at
www.gpspassion.com

·
Registered
6 Posts
So pleased with my new GPS, wanted to put my .02 in for anyone in the market. Know it won't work for everyone, but if you are looking for portability, ease of use and accuracy, the new Garmin Streetpilot I 5 might be the ticket. I don't have the auxiliary gauge package so I like having it just in front of the shifter. The suction mount attaches securely and the angle adjusts. It has not lost the satellite ever with the unit in this location. Operates on 12 volt or 2 AA batteries. Even though it is small I can read the screen, without my reading glasses, from the drivers seat.
(I'll try to post a picture)

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Garmin 2720

I recently bought the 2720 and have been very happy with the unit. No maps to load and upgradable. Gets good signal and the display was the brightest between the different makes during daylight hours. Really astonished as to the accuracy of the unit. It also automatically recalulates the route if you stray or detour from the pre-programmed route which is very good as no input is needed when you're driving and need both hands on the wheel and all the attention too. What sold me on this unit really was the brighter display.

Wally

·
Registered
374 Posts
Focks said:
The video is interesting to watch but I wonder how annoying it would be after awhile. Not to mention, if you want to listen to the radio while driving, or even a book on tape. The voice is great, but I wonder if pictures are the way to go.

Wehn they can incorporate the XM Radio into their system, then i will look closer at it, until then, I like my Road Atlas (on the road) and Mapquest, before I hit the road.
I like the screenless idea, both as a safety factor and not cluttering the interior with another add-on device. I get your point about the annoyance factor, though.

The major hitch to the Vcommand is the "twenty questions" format for entering a destination. That, and the system getting confused if you don't use words it recognises, or if there's a lot of ambient noise in the cabin. (It would suck to have to raise the top or stop to be able to enter a destination)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts