Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to order the AXION BARS to cover the drill holes (put in by the dealer) but I see on this form they are having trouble filling orders. I don't want to wait 6-months. So am thinking of having holes filled and painting same color as the top bar. Any one done this? Do you think painter could match same color as top bar? Also the body shop guy said the hole filler may shrink over time, anyone had trouble filling these holes? Thanks for any help, Mason :confused

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
I also don't want to have anything to do with that company. They take the money and forget about sending their product. A GOOD BODY MAN can repair the holes, at my body shop we repair that type of damage every day without any comebacks :seeya Kay :ssr

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have the Axiom grille bars and they make the front end. Yes Axiom is in a slow-down right now as Lesa's dad is in the hospital and this seems to be consuming their time. I would call her and see what she says about a delivery date. But as far as repairing the license plate holes goes it's not a big deal just stop by a reputable shop that knows what they are doing and you should be fine. Also there are special fillers and products designed for flexable parts to avoid these problems.

GOOD LUCK :thumbs

·
Registered
88 Posts
replacing with stock bars from a silver SSR

Do you think it would look OK with my satin chrome trim to replace my grill bars with stock grill bars from a 2006 silver SSR?

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Holes

The body shop guy said he would have to take the front grill section off the truck to do the job . Quoted me $250 to $300 does this sound about right? Thanks, Mason :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
9,382 Posts
Fillers do have a tendency to shrink, so a bit of time between filler coats, and more time before final painting will help. Fuzzy may be able to fill us in better on how to best complete the project.

As far as a painter matching the finish of the top bar, the best he can do is a paint that comes close, or paint the top bar at the same time. I doubt you'd be happy with the match unless all the parts were redone, which means the Chevrolet emblem on the hood should be done as well.

The process to do the satin chrome on the bars is tedious, difficult, time consuming, and full of potential pitfals requiring starting over - which is why Axiom is slow delivering.

I saw their prototype grille bars at SEMA. They had painted them, and painted the top bar to match. My comment at that time was that the whole front would look better if the parts were done in satin chrome - I suspect Axiom wished they had never undertaken that project.

Ray

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Mason57 said:
The body shop guy said he would have to take the front grill section off the truck to do the job . Quoted me $250 to $300 does this sound about right? Thanks, Mason :rolleyes:

That is what I paid to have the holes filled and the new coat of paint put on. They have to do the whole grille area and fade it back so it looks like the rest of the truck.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
I too wish that Axiom had never undertaken the project of painting the grill bars. When they arrived they were sctatched (some quality control that they always brag about). Second, 2 of the bars were short so you can see the yellow very easily and third, after 6 months they look awful. The paint did not hold up very well.

Winter project will be to remove, have the holes filled and entire grill repainted at the same time my rear new rear deck is painted also because of the poor quality of another Axiom product.

So far, no comment from Lesa regarding their product failure. Hopefully I will get my refund on the chin spoiler I ordered in May and never received-------

Not a company I would recomend doing buisness with unless you have lots of time and money to loose.

bcbear
:nono :cuss :nono :mad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts