Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
'05 Smokin Asphalt, 21k miles
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for information on how to remove headlight to headlight cross bar with bow tie on it from my '05 .

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,762 Posts
Raise the hood, there are 2 screws on the top of the cross bar. Remove them. The bar is now held with 3 clips and Velcro out on the ends. One clip is in the center. The other 2 are about 3 inches in from the screws. I work from one side to the other. Reach up from the under side and from top with other hand, and pull straight out toward you. Then move to the center and then finally the other side. If you want I can post pictures of the back side I have mine laying close by.

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt
49,542 Posts
Here is a old thread that will help you out. Post #5 will help. Grill bar removal To release the clips you have to pull hard careful you don't fall on you butt, don't ask how I know that.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Raise the hood, there are 2 screws on the top of the cross bar. Remove them. The bar is now held with 3 clips and Velcro out on the ends. One clip is in the center. The other 2 are about 3 inches in from the screws. I work from one side to the other. Reach up from the under side and from top with other hand, and pull straight out toward you. Then move to the center and then finally the other side. If you want I can post pictures of the back side I have mine laying close by.
Think I understand, but pictures are always helpful.
Appreciate the help and info

·
Premium Member
9,418 Posts
I start from one of the headlights to release the velcro, then deal with the clips. If you have a plastic prybar, great. If not, and you need to use a metal one, put some masking tape on the paint next to the headlight first, then gently pry the grill spear outward to release the velcro.

When reinstalling, give the spear a good smack towards the headlight to re-engage the velcro. It's plastic, so it takes a bit more than just setting it in place for it to grab properly.

Reactions: richsadams

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,896 Posts
When I put it back I squeezed the clips a little to make them LESS tight, then a little grease on them to help future removal

Nick

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the tips. Bought a composite pry bar set which helped release velcro on one side and the rest popped off with no damage.
Off to the paint shop now, reinstall next week.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts