Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently applied to Grundy to insure my 2005 SSR, based on input I have read in this forum. I was declined in part because Grundy said the SSR "has no collector status"! I thought that was interesting since I have read several posts on this forum that indicate SSR owners had obtained Grundy collector insurance polices. The other reason given was that every driver in the house did not have a daily driver registered to each of them. In my case, I made it very clear on the application that my wife and I are both retired and don't drive anywhere daily. I also noted only I would be operating the SSR. So, Grundy will not insure any SSR owner that does not have have their "own" daily driver. A shared daily driver is unacceptable even for retired husbands and wives in the same household. Grundy also does not permit any use of the car to run "errands" and that is not clearly defined. I know many owners probably don't think they run "errands" but the insurance company can decline any claim they want based off their interpretation of the circumstances and I don't want to worry about where or when I operate mine.

I am sticking with Safeco since they allow declared valuation of the car and and the use in any manner I choose other than racing it. They have a cap of 10,000 miles a year but that is more than I expect to drive normally.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
I recently applied to Grundy to insure my 2005 SSR, based on input I have read in this forum. I was declined in part because Grundy said the SSR "has no collector status"! I thought that was interesting since I have read several posts on this forum that indicate SSR owners had obtained Grundy collector insurance polices. The other reason given was that every driver in the house did not have a daily driver registered to each of them. In my case, I made it very clear on the application that my wife and I are both retired and don't drive anywhere daily. I also noted only I would be operating the SSR. So, Grundy will not insure any SSR owner that does not have have their "own" daily driver. A shared daily driver is unacceptable even for retired husbands and wives in the same household. Grundy also does not permit any use of the car to run "errands" and that is not clearly defined. I know many owners probably don't think they run "errands" but the insurance company can decline any claim they want based off their interpretation of the circumstances and I don't want to worry about where or when I operate mine.

I am sticking with Safeco since they allow declared valuation of the car and and the use in any manner I choose other than racing it. They have a cap of 10,000 miles a year but that is more than I expect to drive normally.
Many of us have gone with Hagerty. You might want to inquire with them as to their requirements and policies.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many of us have gone with Hagerty. You might want to inquire with them as to their requirements and policies.
I have received a quote for Hagerty and in fact used them when I owned my previous hot rod 1950 Chevy truck. Their quote was exactly the same price as Safeco but they still have driving restrictions and Safeco does not. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
You did right. Call and get your OWN facts and still READ THE POLICY when you get it !! I have my two 66 Chevelle's insured as Classics, but NOT the 2 SSR's. Not worth taking a chance to me.

Nick

·
Lost In The 50's
1,108 Posts

Does anyone have a link for Safeco. I tried locating it and all it does it take me round and round and round never getting to Safeco. Thanks...…..Ron 😎

·
Slingshot Rules!
63,344 Posts
A "Heads Up" when it comes to Standard Insurance Companies offering a "Declared Value" . . . Read The Fine Print.

A few years ago I was alerted by a retired Insurance Agent that my "Declared Value" on The Bummer's (1986 Jeep CJ-7) AAA Policy was not the same as it would be on a Collectors Car Policy. Similar but not the same. After some Heavy Duty Research, I determined he was absolutely correct so I switched over to a Collector's Car Policy to be on the safe side.

Better coverage and NO Deductibles with a significantly lower premium. The only restriction is 6k miles a year which is about three times my average plus common sense security.

Definitely a Win / Win for The Bummer.

! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: !

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
:unsure:

"The only restriction is 6k miles a year which is about three times my average plus common sense security. "

Doophus.......you are absolutely safe regarding the annual milage as your annual postings do not allow enough time to be out on the road.:p

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,758 Posts
I shopped around all the Collector Car Insurance and to many restrictions or need a third Car which they wouldn't buy for me.

I have Auto Owners for our cars and they put me in touch with "Classic Car" Insurance Company called "Southern Owners" which insured my R for an agreed price of $32,000.

No restrictions.

Also saved $.

Dicktator

·
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
1,468 Posts
Rbromm
I believe Grundy must have changed their policy since I signed up with them. I have an agreed value as a collector car without a restriction on mileage. There is one on driving around town but nothing else. I'm very happy with them and sorry they did not work out for you. I hit something on the road on the way back from Branson, a claims adjuster came out and took pictures of the damaged rim and rest of the 'R', I received a check for almost a grand yesterday for a new rim and front end alignment.

·
Tech Support/Research
1,483 Posts
From the original post:

"I am sticking with Safeco since they allow declared valuation of the car and and the use in any manner I choose other than racing it."

Most are aware that there is a significant difference between declared value and agreed value policies. Declared value is generally based on current "market" value that will change (lower) with age and depreciation, whereas agreed value is a maximum fixed value agreed upon between the insurer and insured that the company will pay in the event of a total loss. The trade-offs for such agreed value and lower premiums in collector policies are the provisions/restrictions on use and/or mileage. Declared value is certainly an acceptable option for many who drive their specialty cars daily without restriction with the knowledge that a total loss may not cover its replacement.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I shopped around all the Collector Car Insurance and to many restrictions or need a third Car which they wouldn't buy for me.

I have Auto Owners for our cars and they put me in touch with "Classic Car" Insurance Company called "Southern Owners" which insured my R for an agreed price of $32,000.

No restrictions.

Also saved $.

Dicktator
You must be in Florida? I could not find any reference to this company other than that state.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I recently switched my classics to American Collectors Ins 1-800-630-6302. They allow 1 daily driver if you are retired, and have flexible driving plans for more mileage.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
In all honesty, I just can't abide by the restrictions. Yes, my wife and I have other vehicles to drive, and yes, my SSR lives in a garage. However, I do drive it whenever I damn well please. I may jump in it to make a delivery for my sign business or to make sales calls ( a real no-no for collector car insurance). Or drive it to run errands. And I am not going to watch the odometer and throttle back on mileage to keep it within a certain range. I just keep it with my regular car and home owner policy, which has pretty good coverage, and go on down the road. In the unlikely event I get in an accident, I'll just deal with it at that time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does anyone have a link for Safeco. I tried locating it and all it does it take me round and round and round never getting to Safeco. Thanks...…..Ron 😎
I live in GA and use a broker for my insurance needs and he is independent. He was able to compare all rates and plans for my needs and he set me up with Safeco. I usually switch companies whenever rates or plans change and don't stick with one company unless they are meeting my needs and keeping their rates competitive

1 - 14 of 14 Posts