Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the guage package installed and I am having a small problem. Whenever I open the drop down ashtray it hits the guage package and stops it from dropping all the way. Has anyone else had this problem or are my guages installed wrong? I plan on putting my air ride switches in the ashtray compartment so if anyone has found a fix please let me know.
Thanks

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
Wolf said:
I have the guage package installed and I am having a small problem. Whenever I open the drop down ashtray it hits the guage package and stops it from dropping all the way. Has anyone else had this problem or are my guages installed wrong? I plan on putting my air ride switches in the ashtray compartment so if anyone has found a fix please let me know.
Thanks
If the ashtray is hitting the guages, there was not enough padding removed from below the carpet for the guage install. If you installed it yourself or had someone do it, the fix is easy. Just remove the guage pod and mounting bracket. peel back the carpet where it was cut to find the wire connector, and using a utilty knife, cut and remove all of the paddingfrom the area under the guages. The ashtray should open all the way.

·
2005 SSR LOW MILES
2,234 Posts
Gauge Package

MINE DOES THE SAME THING IT JUST BARELY TOUCHES THE DEALER SAID THE WOULD FIX IT BUT THEY NEED TO DISASSEMBLE THE INTERIOR TO GET THE PADDING OUT:banghead I TOLD THEM TO LEAVE IT ALONE I DON'T USE THE ASH TRAY ANY WAY..:cool

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
Pretty Sad

The LCC had to take over installing the guage package and running boards on '06 models because of quality issues with dealer installs. To me that speaks volumes about the quality of service provided at the average GM dealer. If they can't install these things correctly how are they going to be able to deal with real service issues?:banghead

·
Registered
66 Posts
Gauges

I installed my own and I removed all the padding including 1/2" past the outside of the gauge housing and my ashtray still hits. After about 3 times on and off, I gave up and left it that way. I don't smoke and it opens far enough to plug in cell charger.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
I installed mine on the '04. Take all the carpet pad out under the Gauge area. Ashtray works perfect (it's never used I would kill the user.) I'm no mechanic just a VT wood chuck!!!!!!!!!:jester I did read the instructions. :eek

·
2005 SSR LOW MILES
2,234 Posts
Gauge Package

YOU MIGHT WANT TO ASK YOUR FATHER MAYBE HE KNOWS OR ONE OF THE PEOPLE AT ASC MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP...:seeya

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks
I will have one of my friends who works at ASC help me, my dad would probably just laugh at me for not being able to fix it myself.:glol

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
After I installed my gauge package I superglued the ashtray close :jester dam thing was always falling open anyway:smash

·
Registered
513 Posts
Gauge Install!!!!

Installed gauges today. Very easy install that took all of 20 min. BEWEAR!!!! You need to have a first aid kit for the scrapes and carpet cleaner for the blood. If you are a large person, do not attempt this without supervision. Quarters are very very tight and all edges of ever thing under the dash are sharp. NO PAIN NO GAIN applies to all life. Ashtray opens and shuts. Tapeing the tray shut is a must. Remember that you are giving blood to a good cause********** SSR

oc:cool

·
Registered
513 Posts
Instructions!!

All the posts, threads, as that I have read never said any thing about the reinstall of the temp indicator. Just get ready for this one!!! Good luck on relocating it. Just read the instructions and you will see. The INSTRUCTIONS made sense to to me. AFTER I CAME BACK FROM A RIDE!!!!! Sit down, mixed a drink and enjoyed the PAIN AND JOY OF THE SSR.

OC:party

P.S.

YOU WILL STILL NEED THE FIRST AID KIT!!!!!!!

·
Banned
329 Posts
Thanks
Yup installed wrong. More carpet padding needs to be removed and maybe an adjustment of the bracket.

·
Banned
329 Posts
Installed gauges today. Very easy install that took all of 20 min. BEWEAR!!!! You need to have a first aid kit for the scrapes and carpet cleaner for the blood. If you are a large person, do not attempt this without supervision. Quarters are very very tight and all edges of ever thing under the dash are sharp. NO PAIN NO GAIN applies to all life. Ashtray opens and shuts. Tapeing the tray shut is a must. Remember that you are giving blood to a good cause********** SSR

oc:cool
Funny you should say this I still can see the blood stain on my carpet.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Pod

No one has ever said anything about the gauge pod positioning on the console. Mine fits the console best when the gauge pod is slanted slightly toward the driver seat. Does the gauge pod lay straight with the console or is it to be aimed slightly at the driver??

oc:jester

·
Registered
165 Posts
Gauges

I'm curious about these gauges. When you install them and connect them does the gauges on the dash cluster still work along with the gauge cluster on the floor? or do the gauges on the dash stop working.

·
2005 SSR LOW MILES
2,234 Posts
I'm curious about these gauges. When you install them and connect them does the gauges on the dash cluster still work along with the gauge cluster on the floor? or do the gauges on the dash stop working.
THE DASH GAUGES STILL WORK....

·
Registered
416 Posts
The LCC had to take over installing the guage package and running boards on '06 models because of quality issues with dealer installs. To me that speaks volumes about the quality of service provided at the average GM dealer. If they can't install these things correctly how are they going to be able to deal with real service issues?:banghead
This seems consistent with our experience: we have an '05 and an '06, both with the gauge package. On the '05, the ashtray only opens about 1/2 way. When we got the '06, I was surprised how far the ashtray opened. We don't use the ashtrays except for small litter, so no biggie. I'm not about to pull out the '05 gauge package to cut away any excess padding below the carpet, just to gain a wider opening ashtray.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I installed my own and I removed all the padding including 1/2" past the outside of the gauge housing and my ashtray still hits. After about 3 times on and off, I gave up and left it that way. I don't smoke and it opens far enough to plug in cell charger.
You do realize that there are two power outlets on the dash, on either side of the ashtray, right? Each is covered with cap that is hinged on the top (flips open from the bottom). If all you need is access for a charger (cell phone, laptop, whatever), you never need to open your ashtray again!

From the 2005 owner's manual, p. 3-18:

Accessory Power Outlets

With accessory power outlets you can plug in auxiliary electrical equipment such as a cellular telephone or
CB radio.

There is an accessory power outlet located on either side of the ashtray on the instrument panel, and there
is an outlet in the rear cargo area. A small cap must be removed to access an accessory power outlet.
When not using an outlet be sure to cover it with the protective cap.

·
Registered
665 Posts
You do realize that there are two power outlets on the dash, on either side of the ashtray, right? Each is covered with cap that is hinged on the top (flips open from the bottom). If all you need is access for a charger (cell phone, laptop, whatever), you never need to open your ashtray again!

From the 2005 owner's manual, p. 3-18:

Accessory Power Outlets

With accessory power outlets you can plug in auxiliary electrical equipment such as a cellular telephone or
CB radio.

There is an accessory power outlet located on either side of the ashtray on the instrument panel, and there
is an outlet in the rear cargo area. A small cap must be removed to access an accessory power outlet.
When not using an outlet be sure to cover it with the protective cap.
I've had my truck for six months and never knew about the aux plugs under the dash until two weeks ago when I read it on another thread. I know they are mentioned in the owner's manual but, who reads.:lol :lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts