Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
Was driving my 06 Pac Blue 6 speed today on my way home to FL (1200 miles) and looked down at the pod and all three guages had pegged. I first saw the outside temp and thought it really did not seem that hot..even though in south Florida..then I saw the other two had done the same thing. Later I turned the engine off and restarted. The guages went through the normal peg and to the correct positions. The dash guages were normal. I've driven it several times later and did not happen again. Could not find any previous posts on this issue. Any thoughts why this happened?
Thanks,

·
SSR Pit Crew
13,060 Posts
Hi,
Was driving my 06 Pac Blue 6 speed today and looked down at the pod and all three guages had pegged. I first saw the outside temp and thought it really did not seem that hot..even though in south Florida..then I saw the other two had done the same thing. Later I turned the engine off and restarted. The guages went through the normal peg and to the correct positions. The dash guages were normal. I've driven it several times later and did not happen again. Could not find any previous posts on this issue. Any thoughts why this happened?
Thanks,
Time for ignition switch.

We will change ignition switch at Daytona Rally in April if you like, also check the pod connection.

Here is thread on Rally: http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f39/daytona-rally-april-8-11-2018-a-218561/

Dicktator

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,749 Posts
jfsteinbauer-----soooooo there you have it!!!!! you can't get a better offer than that.

Nick

·
SSR Pit Crew
2,147 Posts
Florida John, I had the same thing happen to me once maybe a year ago with the outside temp gauge pegging out. It only happened the one time but I'm sure it's only a question of time before it happens again.

Dave

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dicktator,
Thanks for the response and info on my issue. I bought my 2006 this week in Pa with 22,300 miles from the original owner and he said he did not have any of the usual problems..guess it's time.

Unfortunately, we've got obligations the week of Daytona we can't get out of long before I ever thought of buying an SSR. I checked out the R&R in the library and it does not seem to be too difficult. However, I do have a question about step 4 and the pod connection. Where is the guage pod connection to check?

"4. Remove two (2) # 25 torx bolts from the underside of the bottom shift console cover."
Is this referring to removing the cover on the bottom of the steering column? I do see two torx bolts underneath my steering column cover so I guess that's it.

I also checked Youtube and found this that appears to be about what the library shows..is it correct?

I also found a few of the correct Delco ignition switches for sale on Amazon/Ebay for under $30 so they are easily available.

Thanks again,

Attachments

·
SSR Pit Crew
13,060 Posts
Floor gauge pod is wired from factory, runs under carpet Driver side.

Connector needs to be cleaned, sprayed with electric spay and checked for broken/lose wires.

PC Board is sensitive to ground and is subject to failure.

Dicktator

Attachments

·
Tech Support/Research
1,736 Posts
Console Auxiliary Gauges Pegged and "Hot"

Earlier this week I saw that all three of my auxiliary gauges were pegged at their maximum positions. I had only been driving for about 20 minutes on a cool night. When I arrived home I touched the pod and it was uncomfortably warm- I have not noticed this previously on other SSRs. So I disconnected and removed the gauges. Not only was the housing very warm but the electronics were as well. After letting everything cool to room temperature I reconnected the gauges and they operated normally. I believe that the heat buildup caused them to stick in the pegged position. My initial diagnosis shows that all nine of the nuts that secure the gauges to the pod (and make electrical connections to the circuit board) were hardly tightened at all, so I snugged them to provide a better electrical connection. The next day I reconnected the gauges, drove the car for about an hour and then checked the temperature of the gauges and pod. They were warm but nowhere near the temperature observed earlier. Although I want to check a few more items, my initial conclusion is that the loose connections were the cause of the heat buildup that caused the gauges to malfunction (loose connection=>high resistance=>heat buildup).

There have been previous reports of “fried” auxiliary gauge circuit boards and individual gauges. I haven’t yet done a thorough search to determine if a cause was ever reported, but certainly tightening loose connections should be one of the first items to check to preclude an excessive heat buildup within the gauge package. If you are experiencing intermittent, erratic gauge operation or pegged gauges, it might be worth checking the tightness of all connections to the circuit board.

·
SSR Pit Crew
13,060 Posts
my main gauges on 2004 routinely will stop working. Any idea on fix?
YUP! Stepper motors are bad, C5-168 OEM they don't last long.

Replace with X27-168 these are the latest stepper motors and are working out very well.

Go to SSR How to Library: 87 HOW TO! FREE!

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853&cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5

Shows you how to remove cluster, several on Site do steeper motor repair, including me.

Check ground for Cluster, see How to Library.

Dicktator

Email: Dicktatorf[email protected]
Cell: 727-460-6038

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts