Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All done with the Dynatech Supermaxx

I purchased the headers from HHP. It took me 2 days(with numerous breaks) in my garage to pull off all the old parts. I wanted to keep the stock Y so I had to take off the tranny crossmember. Used a little PB BLaster on the manifold to pipe nuts and they came right off with an air wrench. The hardest part was removal of the spark plugs. Couldn't get the damn wires off easily. Also unhooking the wires for the O2 sensors was a pain. I wanted to leave them in and take them out with the pipe out of the car. Working till next week now so will have to wait till then to put the new stuff on.

On a side note HHP was great to do business with. I placed my order online, then found out a few days later it was backordered. Joshua went out of his way to hunt one down and have it shipped to me. Its this type of service that makes me go back to businesses.

Will update next week when its all back together.

Well its completed and it wasn't too bad.

Did this as a project while the cars stored for the winter. That way I have time and don't feel rushed . I had the front of the car up on 2 jackstands with the front tires raised abut 6" off the ground. I did not remove the tires or fender liners. It made getting at a couple spark plugs and manifold bolts a little more difficult but in retrospect it wouldn't have been worth the time to take them off. Make sure you take out the bolt for the antifreeze overflow resevoir and flip it forward out of the way.

Putting things back on was a little easier. I used a little PB Blaster on the O2 sensors and let them sit a couple days. They came right out without a problem. The LEFT (drivers) side header easily went in from the bottom, lined up easily and bolted right in. The RIGHT (passenger) header I was able to put in from the top with a little corkscrew turn as other people have mentioned. I did not even have to move the starter or lift the engine. One thing I would do is when the old exhaust is off I would loosen and rotate the + lead on the starter away from where the header will be. With every thing off its easy to get to and move. Bolted the RIGHT one up without a problem.

I put in NGK Iridium plugs, used antiseize on the plugs and dielectric grease on the boots for the wires. The rest of the system bolted together pretty easy and the O2 sensors went back in without a problem. Used a little antiseize on the O2 sensors being careful not to get ant near the tips. Again some of the sensor wires were a little difficult to get connected back up.

One problen that was my fault was the removal of the transmission link to reposition it to be able to wrap the fuel lines. I didn't know how to get the end off and was afraid to force it. The service manual didn't give specifics, just says to remove pull off. I played with the little clips on it, that was a mistake. When everything was put back together the tranny indicator was in R. It only took a couple minutes to readjust the cable but it scared me for awhile.

Started right up, sounds great. Just have to wait for better weather to take it out now.

Also as part of the project I put on the hood struts. Only took about 30" and wasn't that difficult. Great addition.

Hope this helps anyone else who may be thinking of doing this. If you have any questions about it feel free to PM me.

drbob

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
drbob,
I just ordered some headers from these guys myself. Since I'll probablly being doing the install myself any tips are appreciated. I think I read on an old post that someone put the passenger side in from the top side. They had to remove the radiator over flow tank. I'll be doing a header install search just prior to my ordeal just to pick up any tips. Good luck with the rest of the install

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
Stormcat Fwiw....

Dynatech includes instructions for installing the headers. The guys who put mine on said they were detailed, accurate, and a big help.

P/P

Peace:flag

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hhp

Glad to hear Joshua at HHP it treating ya'll well. I recommended him on this Forum and he became a supporting member. I'm glad to hear you have had the same great service from him and HHP that I have.

Rick
'04

1 - 6 of 6 Posts