Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read that a hammer can be used to get the cooling system fan up and running again, I have also read that you can hit the side of a starter to get it working, there have been several other post on using a hammer to get other parts up and running. Is there a special hammer for these repairs? :wink2: Is there a hammer with the SSR logo I can purchase? >:) Just asking, seems like a hammer should be in EVERY owners cargo storage area.:grin2:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hammer question

I have read that a hammer can be used to get the cooling system fan up and running again, I have also read that you can hit the side of a starter to get it working, there have been several other post on using a hammer to get other parts up and running. Is there a special hammer for these repairs? :wink2: Is there a hammer with the SSR logo I can purchase? >:) Just asking, seems like a hammer should be in EVERY owners cargo storage area.:grin2:
Tried to get my front wheels off recently, needed a 10 pound sledge and a piece of 2x4. Actually have used a hammer on a starter once.:evil::evil::evil:

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,933 Posts
:nerd: The Answer is "Yes, however".... the hammer of choice is a wooden handle... or... the handle from the biggest screwdriver you have. It is used to "Tap" the side of the motor in an effort to "Jar" the armature into starting it's rotation. Side effect is to knock some of the powdered brush residue from the brush holder, and allow the brush to do its job without being stuck in the up position. Other items can be used if a Hammer is not readily available, the main object is to Not BTS out of the motor :smash , just some Firm tapping will do.

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Thanks for the replies, I will check with "Simple Engineering" sure they can make on up for us.:wink2: Love you guys and gals.

"Long may you / we ALL run":grin2:

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
:|

When it comes to starter problems, sometimes it's a over heated scenario and instead of a hammer, a nice cold bath from a dixie cup full of ice water will do.

A few years back, running down I-95 in my streetrod at around 80-85 MPH on a very hot day.........needed gas. Stopped at a station and fueled up and then zip/zero from the starter.

Recalling some stories of overheated starters, I elected to fill a cup with ice water and throw it on the starter motor......did that twice and got in.....Bingo, off we went. Wife thought I was a raving genius.:wink2::wink2:

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Gr8XLr8r

Gr8XLr8r: Keep this tip in mind the next time you run into rims sticking to the hub: Loosen the lug nuts about two (2) turns on the wheel(s)
that are stuck, then take the vehicle out to the road and run it up about 5 - 10 MPH and step on the brakes. This will crack the wheel loose.
Anytime you remove a wheel some anti-sieze should be applied to the hub and to the wheel for the missed areas. Just an idea to keep
problems at bay. LAZY ONE

1 - 13 of 13 Posts