Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,157 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I checked mine and they are the blue 3 ton #61627. Not on the list but thanks for the heads up. Just in case I never use the stands or the jack independently. Always use both just in case one or the other fails. I jack it up, place the stands under the vehicle and put a little weight on the stands but leave the jack in place just in case. Had a car fall off the old bumper jack back in the 60's on me and scared the you know what out of me. Never did that again.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I checked mine and they are the blue 3 ton #61627. Not on the list but thanks for the heads up. Just in case I never use the stands or the jack independently. Always use both just in case one or the other fails. I jack it up, place the stands under the vehicle and put a little weight on the stands but leave the jack in place just in case. Had a car fall off the old bumper jack back in the 60's on me and scared the you know what out of me. Never did that again.
Had a neighbor working on an older MG in his driveway. Had the car up on jack stands. No one was near the car when it fell. The driveway was a sloped a little. It may have been the wind that knocked it over. Thankfully no one was hurt.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pac Blue 6-Speed
209 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up, @PokerGuy . I checked, and have four of the recalled jack stands. I have been using them a lot during the pandemic, and am thankful nothing went wrong. Harbor Freight says about 5% are defective, but I am not about to roll the dice when it comes to safety. Back they go as soon as HF opens up again.

5396C937-6735-4F26-87C6-23D12C382DEF.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
(y)

Me too. I leave the jack in place as an extra support. Now I also have those super duper heavy duty ramps, but I even put some stands down when using those also.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I had a neighbor get killed by a car falling on him. He was under it with a bumper jack holding it up. So we learned to use something under the cars from his mistake. The most common jack stands back then were not the best and made out what looked like a piece of tubing split so it had 3 legs on it. The top part would slide up and down and you put a pin in to hold it up. I had those and had them fail. I relied on a big block of wood after the jack stands failed the first time. I also would have the jack under the car as well.

I wonder if there are other brands out there made by the same company and sold by other stores like Northern tools? A lot of the tools look identical but with different paint and stickers on them.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I had a neighbor get killed by a car falling on him. He was under it with a bumper jack holding it up. So we learned to use something under the cars from his mistake. The most common jack stands back then were not the best and made out what looked like a piece of tubing split so it had 3 legs on it. The top part would slide up and down and you put a pin in to hold it up. I had those and had them fail. I relied on a big block of wood after the jack stands failed the first time. I also would have the jack under the car as well.

I wonder if there are other brands out there made by the same company and sold by other stores like Northern tools? A lot of the tools look identical but with different paint and stickers on them.

View attachment 579518
I had some of those as well. I used them with small, light weight British cars that I used to play with. But I sure as hell wouldn't use them with 5000 lb. SSR!!!!

·
Slingshot Rules!
67,725 Posts

Definitely SCARY STUFF . . .

I received this alert first thing this morning and could barely believe what I was reading.

For what it's worth . . . I do NOT own a Jack Stand so I'm safe on this one.

! :cool: ! :mad: ! :cool: ! :mad: ! :cool: !

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,870 Posts
yeah... dug out of that old coffee can of "left-over" hardware collected over the Years and never found where they were supposed to go... re-engineering at its Best !!!

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,779 Posts
I have six of these that I have had for 20+ years also two of the pressed metal ones with pins. I always double up when using any jack stand. I'm not going to trust one with my life! that's why I have 8. HF used to sell rubber pads that slip over the top that I have on all mine. I have not seen those there in a long time.

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
Yep, saw it on FB, check min and numbers don't match.
I'll double up with the jack when using them in the future.
OP great post.

·
Premium Member
30,746 Posts
Don't have any of those.... I know my big red ones I got off Amazon. But I always use the safety pin to secure the post into the base. And because my driveway is slightly inclined, wheel chocks ARE A MUST! Doesn't matter what I'm doing. If a jack is going under, a chock goes under a wheel first, especially if jacking up the rear --- because then you have NOTHING restraining the vehicle!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts