Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about removing the hard saddle bags in my SSR to make additional room for luggage and golf clubs when we travel. Are there fasteners in the bottom of these compartments that hold them in, or is it more complicated than that? Also, the owners manual doesn’t provide very good instructions on how to remove the cargo net bars. Is there detailed info in the forum that talks about that as well? Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide. ?

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,284 Posts
Three plastic wing nuts on bottom inside of saddlebag and one d-ring on upper side slide of bed. Then lift inward and upward to remove. Slide out the lower mounts out of lower bed slide rails to the rear to avoid having the studs sticking up and catching on things. Keep your eyes out and u may find some OEM GM SSR wood grain bed strips that are made to slide in those bottom rails. A 9 piece set of bed strips will include those outer ones to fit the slides, but even without them it won't look bad.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Really upsets me when I look at used SSr's that have the fuzzy bed & the fake wood strips & bags but lack the [other] two fake wood strips that go into the tracks & should have been with the truck? Some where [hiding] in some attic or garage. Mine likewise are in a box put away. if I am not dead when the truck has to go I will see that [they] go with the truck. One purple, for sale I've been looking at has the [D-rings] at the end of the track/ witch shows it had a cargo bar set up when new] but lacks that & the net. Dealer won't talk as he is way above our owner statist. Also has no idea about the [top tool] that is so often missing.

bird

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,566 Posts
Really upsets me when I look at used SSr's that have the fuzzy bed & the fake wood strips & bags but lack the [other] two fake wood strips that go into the tracks & should have been with the truck? Some where [hiding] in some attic or garage. Mine likewise are in a box put away. if I am not dead when the truck has to go I will see that [they] go with the truck. One purple, for sale I've been looking at has the [D-rings] at the end of the track/ witch shows it had a cargo bar set up when new] but lacks that & the net. Dealer won't talk as he is way above our owner statist. Also has no idea about the [top tool] that is so often missing.

bird
IF I sell one of my trucks, I will decide what to do wit the extra strips at that time. If it goes to a dealer it will go with the extra strips installed and no saddle bags or cross bar because they did not come with it. If it goes to an individual then it is their choice of set up and then we can talk about the other parts.

Reactions: bruce60

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
To remove the cargo net bar, You loosen the two retainer screws on either end on top of the Bar, then remove the two D rings holding it in the side Tracks on either side of the cargo area. After removing, loosening those four spots, the bar can be Rotated and will be able too be slid out of the tracks. Reverse to put it back in. Actually a simple install/removal. Just be gentle, helps too have someone on either end of the bar but not required, just take your time.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Change up.

I put my bags in during the "off season". It gives a good place to store items for the SSR I don't use except in the summer when I'm driving it more. That and a couple of five gallon buckets with screw on lids (they just fit in the front) and I am good.

I have a bed rug for the bed which I usually run. I put the slats in only when I'm not going to carry anything or when I show it.

I have the bed rails, so I also use the hard bags when I remove the cover and run the bed rails with an open back. I really like the look of the slats then, either the wood grain or the black ones.

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts