Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opinions of the hard saddlebags. I am mulling over of installing some but would appreciate opinions of the functionality and quality

·
Slingshot Rules!
69,671 Posts
Interesting question . . .

The Hard Saddle Bags sure look good and help maintain an organized bed compartment, however, they don't work well with the Crossbar and Net option.

Good Luck.

! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: !

·
Registered
421 Posts
Pros:
Look nice.
Lockable
Store things like jack, extra parts, oil, brake fluid, antifreeze or emergency parts easily.
Use one instead of two for more storage/loading space.
Use a Cargo Net like the Mustang one mentioned in earlier posts for pick-up items.
Cons:
Two take up a lot of room.

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
I have the hard bags and like them. I can store a bunch of stuff in them and it’s out of site. The cross bar does not work with them. Doophus is spot on.
Plan on keeping mine. ????

Life is Good.

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,539 Posts
I hope you get a good answer. My R only came with the securing bar. No net, no bags hard or soft so I don't have personal info. I do carry a spare tire in the back so it takes up some room.

What I have noticed over the past 5 years are there are many and I mean many folks selling the nets, soft bags, and hard bags. Biggest complaint I hear and see listed is the items take up to much room and or the folks don't use them. I have on occasion bought groceries and put them in the back and they do scoot around especially if I forget and start doing warp 6 corners on the way home.

Hope you get your answer.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
I like the hard bags when I run without the bed cover on and the rail trim on. It gives a little "secure" storage. And they look cool with the inner bed rails in.

Cons are that they take up room and the interior size is strange. You can take them out when you don't want them.

I have mine out most of the time.

Dave

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,047 Posts
We have both. I took the hard ones out of Kathy's '04. Kept the soft ones in my '06. The hard ones are larger than the soft ones but odd shaped and don't hold as much as the soft ones.

Nick

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,693 Posts
I had the hard bags for a couple of years but didn't like that they took up so much space, but they are unique. I was able to swap my hard bags for soft bags and so far am happy. Imo the soft bags have a more attractive shape and they're monogrammed so they complement the bed area.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Many of you know that Ilsa is my daily driver year-round in Iowa. Besides minor racing in the summer, she also hauls stuff when she needs to. She does have the hard saddlebags, and they hold her trailer hitch, jumper cables, tie-down straps, front license plate and holder)12-volt tire inflator (I don't want to kill the one behind the seat - just use it when I have nothing else), and a small duffel bag of tools. Whenever I need more room to haul stuff, the saddlebags come out mostly easily (also when I'm getting rid of extra weight for racing). More than once, I've taken the saddlebags out and removed the top (two bolts) to haul stuff. Yes, stuff DOES slide around back there. I haul my trumpets to gigs and rehearsals back there (among lots of other things), and to keep them from sliding around, I did two things: 1, I bought a 3 x 5 floor mat and trimmed it a little to go between the saddlebags, and 2, I built a small adjustable frame out of 2 x 4 and 1 x 8 wood to keep stuff from sliding. Let me know if you'd like to see a pic of it.

Opinions of the hard saddlebags. I am mulling over of installing some but would appreciate opinions of the functionality and quality

Attachments

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,693 Posts
After looking at the hard bags installed in a "tupperware" bed, I have to say that type of bed does complement the look of the hard bags.

Dave

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,539 Posts
(Just kidding about the snowplow blade)
I was wondering about that. When i first bought mine I got caught in a snow storm in Nebraska trying to get home. Needless to say with the wide tires and too much power I could hardly stay on the road or move forward at all much less push any snow. Looks good with the plow though!!!

Reactions: Achias

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Many of you know that Ilsa is my daily driver year-round in Iowa. Besides minor racing in the summer, she also hauls stuff when she needs to. She does have the hard saddlebags, and they hold her trailer hitch, jumper cables, tie-down straps, front license plate and holder)12-volt tire inflator (I don't want to kill the one behind the seat - just use it when I have nothing else), and a small duffel bag of tools. Whenever I need more room to haul stuff, the saddlebags come out mostly easily (also when I'm getting rid of extra weight for racing). More than once, I've taken the saddlebags out and removed the top (two bolts) to haul stuff. Yes, stuff DOES slide around back there. I haul my trumpets to gigs and rehearsals back there (among lots of other things), and to keep them from sliding around, I did two things: 1, I bought a 3 x 5 floor mat and trimmed it a little to go between the saddlebags, and 2, I built a small adjustable frame out of 2 x 4 and 1 x 8 wood to keep stuff from sliding. Let me know if you'd like to see a pic of it.
LOVE the pic with the snow plow blade! Where's the lights, you'll be plowing in the dark!!!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I only drive this for pleasure, purely a secondary vehicle. We will be moving to Sarasota soon so just some beach items in back and periodic trips down to the Keys with the necessary amenities. I also have the finished bed compartment which is in pristine condition. That being said it may best to keep things as is however, I like the unique feature of them. I will also never roll with the hard cover off.
Might be worth while to have them just because. Is drilling required for installation or do they clip in somehow? Really appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Superheat... I responded to you post in my thread and sent you a conversation. Care to respond?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
As one of your pictures shows the cross bar and net can be used with the hard bags..........AS I remember the cross bar has to be installed first. It has been 6 years ago I did the install. Cross bar package was still in it's box.
Birdmans

1 - 20 of 20 Posts