Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we are so new at this SSR thing,
We'd like to know why You fanatics that have hard saddlebags like them.
What's the uses and conveniences of having them in the bed.
Those of you that don't, why would you like to have them ?
We are thinking of the pro's and con's of them
Thanks

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,381 Posts
Thanks
I have two soft bags. I like them because they clip in and out while still loaded making it easier to make room for a quick trip requiring more space, and then reloading.

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,594 Posts
I decided not to order the hard covered saddle bags when I had ordered my SSR. I honestly felt that they took up a little bit too much space and they also appeared to me to be very difficult and cumbersome to use. When GM came out with the Soft Side Saddle bags I decided to get two of them. I really liked that they were more flexible and very easy to take in out of the SSR if you needed too.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I use one single soft bag in each of my Rs because they are easy to pull out if you need to. I looked at the hard ones and just thought they would be more in the way than useful to me. I could see if I were still working in construction I would prefer the hard ones then to keep tools in. Now I take a small tool set that is in a plastic case and a small jack in a cloth bag and that is about all the rough stuff I carry.

·
Premium Member
2,860 Posts
I store two or three collapsible chairs in one. The other one is full of car cleaning supplies. Yes, the take up space but we haven't had a problem yet for trips of up to 5 days.

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
I really like my hard style storage. The soft seem droopy and hard to keep shiny.:yellow:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I have a set of hard bags but only use one. It's good for small items and keeps stuff from rolling around in the bed.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Calook, There is also a third alternative- an SSR Open Cargo Bin. Useful for Grocery bags, etc. Don't have a picture of one, but someone else may. My didn't come with any of them, but I also found Snap-on makes a nice closed top tool carrier in red/black, and also an Open Top cargo bin. One thing I like about the Snap-on models is that they have velcro on the bottom, so they stick to the carpet in the bed ( no need for the D-rings), and the price was right- about $30 ea.

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts
I do use the cargo net at times. It is right there at the tailgate easy to reach.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Marc NY,
You're completely correct in your reply. But the reason I asked the Q is due to inexperience with SSR and I found a guy selling a pair of hard bags, the bed rug with logo from LLoyd and a dash cover. I made him an offer and he accepted my cash deal. Trouble was we woke at 4:45am, Drove out of the garage at 6am and just got back at 11pm from the trip. It was 840 miles round trip. I WISH we could have driven the SSR but we can't yet. Had to take the old Saturn Vue! SO now I'm adding accessories on a vehicle that I can't drive. It was a fun trip traveling 3 states on a rainy day.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
calook1967 You are in for a lot of fun. It is fun to search for the parts or accessories you want and you will meet some great people in the search. I have built quite a few hotrods and race cars and dealing with them are nothing like the people I have met with my SSRs. Making your truck your own is part of the enjoyment, almost as much fun as driving them. I ended up buying a second SSR and while they are both black they are different with different accessories. Enjoy your SSR.

·
Premium Member
2,794 Posts
I use mine in the winter and when I take the deck lid off and use me channel covers in the summer. They are good for storing items in when I am not using the R much.

I usually don't use both on trips, but do use one at time to put the jack and other metal items in.

Dave

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Thanks
If any one is interested I have a set of hard bags for sale for $200.00 firm.
Syracuse, N.Y.
Contact at: [email protected]
315-715-4217
Mike Bell

·
Daily Driver
8,940 Posts
Mike Bell, Supporting Member and Lifetime Supporting Member? Did you forget to cancel the automatic renewal on Supporting, when you bought the Lifetime?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts