Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,395 Posts
Can't seem to get them to drop onto the rail. Tricks. Suggestions. Thanks Chico.
Do you have the slide pieces that go in the rail? They slide in and then the screws thread into them. There might be an end cap on your track that must be removed first.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I have all the parts. It just dosent want to go under the deck lid hinge and go far enough to drop on the rail. I'm sure it is just me. I will try it again. Thanks

·
Tech Support/Research
1,683 Posts
Side Saddle Storage Installation

Yes I have all the parts. It just dosent want to go under the deck lid hinge and go far enough to drop on the rail. I'm sure it is just me. I will try it again. Thanks

Just a thought- the rails with the studs that slide into the tracks are directional, that is they have to be installed in the right direction to line up with the holes in the boxes. Could you have installed the rails backwards? Try removing them and sliding them in from the opposite end.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I had that same problem.
Here's what I did.
First, I made sure that they were seated properly on the rails
by tightening them down a bit.
Then, I pushed down hard on the Saddlebag on both sides of the bracket.
This shifted the Saddlebag inward a bit so the D-Ring lined up.
It took a few tries.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
9,316 Posts
New style cargo cover hinges? Chicho does have an '06, so it is a possibility.
I have an 06 FPR. No problem fitting the hard saddle bags.

I have had them in and out multiple times, and have not removed the rear sill plate. I use a towel to keep the bottoms of the studs from scratching the sill plate.

Snomuncher is correct. The studded rails are directional. After getting them wrong a couple of times, I marked them for front and rear. No problem since.

I would go out and measure for you, but can't raise the rear lid until I get my truck back together. Maybe someone else can measure how far from the front wall of the rear storage the hard boxes are installed.

·
Premium Member
9,316 Posts
I can't raise the lid, but my tailgate is open. Obviously, I didn't install the bags perfectly last time I put them in.

On the left side, looking forward, the studded rail is even with the back edge of the floor mounted metal portion, with only the plastic rear clip showing. That puts the back edge of the saddlebag about 9 1/4" from the rear valance of the truck, measuring at the center of the rail slot.

The right one is in about 2" further forward, with the entire narrow plastic clip visible.

Seeing as I can open both saddlebag covers with no problem, there is some flexibility in mounting the saddlebags.

I would definitely investigate whether the rails have been installed the wrong way. Try installing one the opposite way to see what happens.

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,275 Posts
FPR's didn't necessarily get new style cargo hinges. They were not very common. Only way to tell is to look at lower strut mount on hinge. The newer hinges will definitely interfere with the hard saddle bags and will require modification of the hard bag.

Besides, FPR's were built with whatever parts were left on the shelf or what GM could source after cancelling contracts with ASC. >:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts