Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a horror story for you. After waiting 10 months for delivery, got the SSR 1 month ago. While in the garage at a cold temp ( which I believe caused th 1st failure due to increased hydraulic viscosity) I tried to raise the top and got a "hard tonn fault switch" fail message. So, I go thru the manual top raising procedure on my brand new SSR (which is a bitch by the way) and call the dealer. With help from the tech line, they discover one of the hydraulic actuator arms has popped off its ball mounting point. They put it back and it works perfectly. Now the horror. Chevy calls my dealer and tells them they believe it is a design flaw, and asks the dealer to call me back in, and replace the arm with a new and improved one. Needless to say I was very hesitant , and against my better judgement, I gave them back my new beauty and they've now had it for almost 2 weeks. chevy keeps sending the wrong parts, now they are supposedly sending an entire new top to scavenge. Dont know when i'll ever see it again. Anyone else been exposed to this "recall"?

·
Registered
601 Posts
sorry for your problem

Thanks for the info. Please let us know the what happends from this point. I am sorry that you had this problem. But not speaking for everyone else. I will pray that you get it fixed right. I hope that I don't ever have to go through what you just went through. :confused Lets all give him a group hug. :grouphug

W

·
0 Posts
SSRedRod

There was a post couple months ago or so about someone on this list having to get new arms (and/or linkage) and if I remember correctly they were talking about a recall on those parts - not sure if its the same ones your having problems with and I did not hear anymore about a recall.
Seems like 50% of us are having some problems with the roof in some way- lots of different problems - hope its fixed soon for you!

Regards - John

·
Registered
181 Posts
SSRedRod, What serial # is your SSR? Maybe there is a certain production "range" where some defective parts were installed. Your post has certainly substantiated my paranoia fears each and every time I open or lower my top which is quite often. The convertible top hydraulics, lift arms, wiring, solenoids, moving panels, etc. look to be a potential mechanical nightmare if/when problems do arise. My local small town Chevy Service Dept. watched mine open and close and their only remark was "if you have problems with the top pls. don't bring it here to us, take it somewhere else"! I've NOT had any top problems thusfar but I cross my fingers when I do open or lower the top. Let us know how GM corrects the problem for you as it appears you're the first to experience top problems of this magnitude. Hope your SSR is fixed and problem free as soon as possible so you enjoy the top down Spring time!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My vin is 3720. My point to anyone reading, is don't let them fix something that's not broken. I believe the service manager at my chevy dealer would agree completely at this point.

·
Registered
413 Posts
ssr

Is yours an 03 or 04 mine is vin 3770 and is an 04 noticed our vins are very close

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
:grouphug Hang in there, as I may be joining you soon but I sure hope not. I am still having trouble raising and lowering the roof, yet have not had trouble putting it up, just putting it down. I tricked the sensor by releasing the top down button prior to the roof cycle time out message but your story is a tad scarry. I take it back to the dealer next Tuesday to have them problem solve this issue but I don't think they will be able to do too much.

·
Registered
407 Posts
i gotta say that after reading posts like these for the past month or so i literally hold my breath each and every time i lower or raise my top!

other than that i do not have anything to complain about (except one bitch of a blind spot on the driver's side)

rick ..:(

·
Registered
136 Posts
blind spot

Rick

try putting your mirror out a little more than usual, catching the rear fender in the corner. breaks off most of the blind spot for me, hope it works for you

t

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Irish: I noticed that the drivers mirror has a limit to how far out you can move it. I wanted to push it out a bit further to help with my blind spot but it won't go any further.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Irish,

I finally settled for a round mirror. I don't particularly like the way it interferes with my overall view but it sure takes care of the blind spot.

Rick

R

·
0 Posts
dude the shop is driving your ssr

check your miles... it is just too fun of a car to turn back into the dealer..

·
Registered
34 Posts
I haven't even taken delivery of my new SSR yet but it already has a hydraulic failure that they have not been able to fix due to the plant sending the wrong parts over and over. They finally yanked a new top off the assembly line to scavenge the right parts off of it but they didn't let it get far enough down the line as the needed part hadn't been installed yet. Supposed to be ready next Tuesday, we'll see.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hydraulics

my sympathies, Stan. The killer is, I love this car. Haven't had a car I even wanted to wash by hand in years. Now I have one, but Chevy is killing the experience. I traded in a 2000 SL500 on my SSR. You know, from a quality perspective I was overwhelmed by this chevy, but clearly the ownership experience is from a different planet. Mercedes would never allow a customer to sit 2 weeks awaiting wrong parts.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
First (ever)

This is my first ever brand new vehicle. I have had it less than a week and have already hand washed it once and hurried home from a drive before the rain hit. LOL I won't let anyone touch it and my handy cleaning rag is in the glove box. My husband never knew I would be so anal!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts