Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Route 66

I've driven alot of it over the years. It is a lot of fun and you see some verrrrry interesting sites that you miss on the interstates. Take your time and allow for extra stops. :seeya

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've been across what is left for the state of Missouri and about 100 miles into Illinois. One of the old places in MO that I have some pictures from is Johns Modern Cabins.

I remember going past them as a kid going to my grandparents house. So I stopped one day and took these pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
256 Posts
HD-Fatboy said:
I've been across what is left for the state of Missouri and about 100 miles into Illinois. One of the old places in MO that I have some pictures from is Johns Modern Cabins.

I remember going past them as a kid going to my grandparents house. So I stopped one day and took these pics.
Nice. :cool :thumbs :flag

·
Registered
416 Posts
In 2003 (pre-SSR), my wife and I took a road trip from Dallas to the Grand Canyon, and we split the driving between I-40 and US-66. While we were overnighting in Gallup, New Mexico, we came across US-666, so named because it was the 6th spur off US-66. We had a good laugh over that one -- Mark of the Beast and all, for those of you who know your Revelations -- and went on our way.

Sometime last year, I read where they'd renamed US-666 to US-491, and I've regretted ever since that I didn't take some photos of those highway signs...

http://www.geocities.com/usend6069/End666/end666.htm

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
HD-Fatboy said:

Those pictures make me very sad for some reason. Driving this Hwy would be a fun thing to do. :cool

another link http://www.national66.com/index.html

·
Registered
321 Posts
We bought our SlingShot from a dealer in Terre Haute, Indiana... Off ebay believe it or not! My wife and flew back, picked up the car (Street Rod) (Super Sexy Roadster) and drove south picking up hwy 66.. We picked up 40 (66) in Nashville and followed across in to California taking 395 north to Reno then home to Sacramento. We took 8 daze to make the trip and had a wonderful time! Can't say I much cared for a couple of the "dry" counties we mistakenly stopped at for the night. Man with SSR must have liquor!!!! It is sad to see the old highway as so much has been closed down and or replaced with freeway. Great, Great trip and I would do it again tomorrow!!!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Rainwater said:
It is sad to see the old highway as so much has been closed down and or replaced with freeway. Great, Great trip and I would do it again tomorrow!!!
Most of the Old Route 66 is sort of like "Frontage" Road in a really Bad/Sad state of repairs in Illinois. Sort of driving over Speed Bumps all day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.