Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,272 Posts
They are hard to move and I have ran into 2 that no matter what I did thry would not unlatch.

If you need to get back there you can still do it by putting your hands through the small openings that are in the corner of the top, behind the seats. The area where many people cover up the hole to reduce cabin noise is also where you can access and possibly unlock both sides of the cover manually. Stick your hand in there and find the side lock mechanism. Pull the locking pin towards the front of the truck on both sides to release the cover.

And if that fails, you could always unbolt the mounts that the pins slide into on either side, that will get you in there for sure.

Inside of the storage area, pin you are trying to move is the one that is located here, the one with the angled opening, from the 12 oclock position to the 2. Might need to put a screwdriver or something to pry the pin forward. This picture is of the driver side, front of truck is to right of picture.

The mounts that you need to remove are on either end of the panel, the driver side is shown at the most right hand side in this picture, the black C shaped mount. Two bolts hold it to the panel.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,665 Posts
Those roof release cables are not easy to use, as Mike said, they are short PULL and can come out of Plastic support, been there done that.

I don't use cables to release roof, get ratchet or wrench with 10mm socket, reach into roof compartment from behind seat, have to feel, can't see to well, remove the two bolts that hold "Latching Bracket" to roof cover.

Now you can manually lift roof cover.

Done this many times, have to put on How to Library.

Dicktator

Attachments

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,071 Posts
We're unified on this one.....

Those roof release cables are not easy to use, as Mike said, they are short PULL and can come out of Plastic support, been there done that.

I don't use cables to release roof, get ratchet or wrench with 10mm socket, reach into roof compartment from behind seat, have to feel, can't see to well, remove the two bolts that hold "Latching Bracket" to roof cover.

Now you can manually lift roof cover.

Done this many times, have to put on How to Library.

Dicktator
Hey Dick...... If you remember, we talked bout this about 5 or 6 years ago... I have done this several times. It is IMPERATIVE that we remember to immediately re-install the brackets to the lid, using the witness marks to get the bracket re-aligned onto the same spot it came from. There is enough adjustability in those brackets to get us all in trouble. Once reset into position, I have taken a super-fine sharpie and marked the bracket outline on the lid.

As an option to removing the brackets, I began reaching in and pulling the roller forward, like Mike (Dragon2U) referred to in his post. As long as you have strong enough index fingers to wrap around the post and pull, it is a LOT easier than pulling on those dang cables behind the seats. This is still working well for me.

I have also seen one of the cables that pulled THROUGH the side wall of the cable housing in the roof compartment. This is when I started pulling the brackets off about 6 years ago. I hate those cables.

My two cents,

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
As option

Try having a helper push down on the cover over the latch you are trying to move.

Jack

1 - 6 of 6 Posts