Votes: 8 61.5%
  • No, I Would Not Purchase It

Votes: 5 38.5%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into a head and cam package for the SSR's with superchargers. I am trying to put a complete package together that will work as well on the 03-04 as the 05-06. I am trying for a cam that will have close to stock idle quality for the automatics as well as the 6 speed members. Below is a list of what I am looking into for a whole package.

LS2/6 Heads Stage III CNC Ported (Complete)
Blower Cam
Push Rods if needed
Head Studs
Head Gaskets
Intake Gaskets
Exhaust Gaskets

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
2005SSR6speed: I know that the pushrods on the LM4 engine are shorter than on the Z06 engine, due to the smaller cam base circle required on the Z06 cam to get the higher lift. Is there also a difference in the pushrod lengths between the LM4 and the LS2 engines? (I would assume there is, due to the much higher lift of the LS2 cam). If so, replacement pushrods would be one difference between the 03 / 04 and 05 / 06 kits.

What engine rpm range would the "blower cam" operate in? If above 6000, the stock LM4 valve springs need to be replaced for reliability long term. (I limited my LM4 to 6200 rpm until I got the Z06 valvetrain). The stock springs in the 05 /06 are of course fine to 6500.

But, if I were doing a CNC head package, I think I would consider the possibility that the buyer might NOT go with a supercharger, at least initially. In that case, the CNC heads and the cam, coupled with good exhaust changes, could make a real high rpm screamer, in which case lightweight but strong valve springs, pushrods, and retainers good to say 7000 rpm might be a great thing to include in the kit, OR add as an option. Then, depending on inertai loads in the crank, rods, and pistons, 6800 or 6900 rpm might be reliably attainable. The Gen III engine is VERY mechanically strong even in bone stock form.

Could be fun . . .:)

Jim G

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The heads will be complete with the below modifications.

5 axis CNC machined.
Hand detailed and assembled.
21-4N Stainless Valves
Bronze Guides
.650" Dual Springs
Titanium Retainers
5 Angle Valve Job
No core required

I am trying for a cam that like you said will be good normally aspirated too, but designed for the supercharger.

I am looking at replacement push rods to better then stock LS2 so they will be part of the kit for both 5.3 and 6.0 alike.

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This whole setup will be very similar to the changes that JimG has seen with his SSR if installed on a normally aspirated SSR. I am still working on the Cam profile, but I am real fond of the Lingenfelter GT2-3 and GT7 cams.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Any chance of beehive versus dual springs? The beehive ones are inherently lighter weight due to the tops being smaller diameter, and NO chance of resonance (due to the differing coil diameters in a beehive spring), so no dual dampening springs required.

The inherent lighter weight is a big advantage in that it recuces the forces required to control the valvetrain, and thus reduces the forces on the pushrods AND hydraulic lifters. Reducing the forces on both is very helpful, but especially on the lifters, where high forces tend to cause the hydraulically based system to lose control (This is why very aggressive cams and strong valvesprings require solid lifters).

Jim G

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will have to check to see if the beehive springs can be used due to the cam profiles I am looking at. I can also check on the price difference. I dont think we will have any worries with valvetrain float with the cam profiles I am looking at.

I will check on the different springs they offer. I am trying to stay with a set that will handle more lift and a more ratical cam should the owner change later.

·
Registered
41 Posts
having done heads & cam (as well as the supercharger), there are a few things to keep in mind.

1. install is fairly involved (due to the front radiator support placement, you need to drop the motor to install the cam).

2. fuel system may need to be updated (new injectors) on normally aspirated motors.

3. ecu will definitely need reprogramming.

4. new pushrods will be required since the base circle will be modified for greater lift.

5. new head bolts are required (i don't recommend studs since the heads can't be installed/removed in vehicle).

there are other small issues but you get the idea.

as a side note (from someone who does this type of thing for a living), i would suggest that unless you have installed and tested the combo yourself (complete with all of the tuning) on both an automatic & six speed in both '03/'04 & '05/'06, not to just assume that a "package" will work. even if you use something that has been done on a different platform (i.e. - corvette), there will be issues.

hope this helps.

regards,

ken zeller

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ken - Thanks for the input and for the great conversation on the phone yesterday. I have been looking at a more conservative cam so that the programming wont be so hard to knock down. I am going to wait till the release of the LS2 programming before starting any tests. I plan to use my SSR as a mule for testing and will be needing an automatic close to me (RHShute maybe). I am building my SSR in stages the same way other members have expressed an interest in doing. I want to use a maunufacturer that is well known and has a great reputation for customer service. The idea is to get a package put together that works well.

The biggest down side to doing the cam swap in the SSR is that the engine has to be almost lifted out. I spoke with JimG and he said that they were able to do his with unbloting the engine mounts and lifting the front of the engine. The radiator and everything else in front of the engine will still need to be removed.

I think the gains from a head cam setup will be real nice with the supercharger. The exhaust will have to be addressed. I am trying to get a spot over at Magnaflow for an exhaust that will bolt up to the stock exhaust manifolds for the California members and that can be adapted to headers for the other states. I have not addressed the exhaust in my SSR yet, but I have a complete build plan for that coming in the near future.

I started this poll to see what kind of interest there is in a head cam package. Thanks for all the input!

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will be getting a price sheet from Lingenfelter next week to sell a few recommended parts here to members. Below is a list of the parts I am going to ask for pricing on to start. Once I submit my paperwork, I should receive a price sheet for everything they carry. I plan to test a few of these packages at first with an installer that is trusted and accessable to the first 3 SSR's. Maybe I can talk WildDesertWolf and CowboyVette into joining me at ProDyno for the installs and tuning. I will have to take a trip down to Arizona where they are located, it will give a good sample of what the results will be. This way we can try out a few different packages at the same time with before and after dyno sheets at the same location for 3 different SSR's.

I am going to try and do a few different packages for the LS2 first then the LM4:

Heads & Cam
Heads & 1.8 or 1.85 Rockers
Heads Alone
Cam Alone
1.8 or 1.85 Rockers Alone

1 - 9 of 9 Posts