Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cool The header system came today now just to get them installed. Can't hardly wait :thumbs

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,782 Posts
BobA said:
:cool The header system came today now just to get them installed. Can't hardly wait :thumbs
Bob, Is this the one from Byrne Motorsports??

P/P

Peace :flag

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
group purchase

yes it is. can't wait myself. but i will be gone for a week. so it will be a couple of weeks.

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,782 Posts
BobA said:
yes it is. can't wait myself. but i will be gone for a week. so it will be a couple of weeks.
Bob, got an email from Tom about the next batch being done about the end of the month. I'm in line the same as you are. Looking forward to how it goes and sounds. A custom shop in town said they could do it in one day as long as there is no cutting and welding.

P/P

·
Registered
501 Posts
Dynatech?

Are you guys talkin about the Dynatech headers?If so, I just got the Y- pipe and hardware kit yesterday. I'll get the headers early next week. They are coming in separateley because they went over to Jethot first to get coated.Man...Iv'e been waiting a year for someone to come out with a quality set and I hope it was worth the wait. So far from what iv'e seem in the box, It' top notch stuff.

Craig

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,782 Posts
Yep 53, that's the ones.....

53wanab said:
Are you guys talkin about the Dynatech headers?If so, I just got the Y- pipe and hardware kit yesterday. I'll get the headers early next week. They are coming in separateley because they went over to Jethot first to get coated.Man...Iv'e been waiting a year for someone to come out with a quality set and I hope it was worth the wait. So far from what iv'e seem in the box, It' top notch stuff.

Craig
Were you one of the original 8 or so that ordered before the end of January for the discount?? Keep us informed of the happenings of your install.

P/P

·
Registered
501 Posts
Direct from manufacturer

I ordered my dynatech ceramic coated stainless headers and power cat assembly back in early November and was told that these were the first run of units.
Already iv'e found that there are several boiler plate steps in the installation guide that probably are not necessary like pulling the front wheels and inner fender wells.As I go through the actual install, I'll share any input on this forum.
Dynatech also asked me to give them a blow by blow.

Craig

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,782 Posts
Craig,

I thought these headers were "bolt on" with no other bending, welding or other removal nonsense. Tom Byrne made this statement in January. They had a SSR for a month while they did the design work and fab'd out a system which would be reproduced.
Isn't that the way you undstood the install would be??

P/P

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,999 Posts
Headers

A couple of questions..
Are the tubes truely equal length?
How long are the tubes?
Tube diameter?
Diameter of the collector?
Length of the collector?

Thanks!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Headers

Yes Penelope,

This is what I understood.However, I ordered these direct from Dynatech before the posting on this forum.
This install really looks like a no brainer though.The instruction guide makes it sound a little more troublesome than I think it really is.Even removing the transmission mout and cross member could be avoided if you weren't trying to save the old Y-pipe.You could just whack it with a sawsall or torch.Iv'e had the manifolds off before and you don't really need to remove the front wheels or fender wells, unless you use a lift, then you wouldn't be able to access the top as easily as you could just using jack stands.
The really good news is that you don't have to jack up the motor like some other model vehicles.
I'll keep you posted.Are you going to get a set of these?Iv'e already installed a magnaflow cat back.I had them welded on by a local shop and had him keep the original tailpipe tips by cutting and expanding then welding them onto the new pipe just after the axle.Works great, sounds bad!

Craig

·
Registered
501 Posts
Headers

Hi HDFLSTF,

I don't actually have the headers inhand yet,but I will next week.The info that I have so far is ,tube sise is 1 3/4". 3" collector and is roughly 6" long.They are longtube headers,I think over 30" long and very close to equal legth.
You can get all that info if you wan't to call Dynatech. ask for John [email protected] I think 9-5 central time.

Craig

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
GoooD News

:cool Good News is the Headers should be installed by the time I get back from my trip thursday along with the stereo upgrade. red in the seat centers red leather on steering wheel and the sofpart of the door panels with ssr logo in the headrest. This trip won't be over soon enough. They are going to dyno ssr before and after header installation. we will know what we gained in hp. then on mine. will post pics. and results. :cool

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Headers

I received two sets Supermaxx Headers this Tuesday, I have my GM Goodwrench man look it over this weekend. I'll post his comments.

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,782 Posts
2 Sets??

Both for SSR's??

P/P

·
Registered
52 Posts
Our SSR was the one which Dynatech had did the intial fit up for the headers. They just had the truck in the shop for a once over and verification the production headers would bolt in with no problems. There were no leaks and everything checked out perfect with the headers.

I agree with Craig on being a now brainer for an install. They do go into a lot of detail about dropping the transmission mount and going through the fender wells etc. I agree you should be able to whack the old exhaust if you don't want to keep it and put the exhaust back up around the trans mount.

I'm glad you like the system so far Craig. I think you will be very pleased with the headers and the sound after it is all installed.

Dynatech does have a toll free number 1-800-848-5850

Leo

P.S. If you look under my SSR photos there are some shots of the headers and in another thread on the forum there is a link to a sound clip as well.
:seeya

·
Registered
52 Posts
And that is the system on our SSR and our SSR on the cover. :thumbs

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,782 Posts
Thanxx BobA, and 04Z16 for the assist.

Ordered mine last night from Tom Byrne. How much different is the sound from the stock system? I listened to the sound clip but it is hard to tell. Be interested in the HP and torque numbers on the dyno, Bob.

P/P

1 - 20 of 42 Posts