Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Chevy SSr Smokin Asphalt
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking into putting some headers onto my 2003 Ssr and a lot of what i have seen through the forum is people talking about the kooks headers. But a lot of those people also have the 05 06 models and have the c6 oil pan. I am specifically looking at long tubes so what long tubes do you guys recommend that will fit without further mods other than running new exhaust piping.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you are installing headers on a 5.3, be sure to get 1 3/4” primaries. The 1 7/8” primaries will result in less torque on the low end than you have now.

choose wisely…….
Is there the kooks headers with the 1 3/4 primaries all i see currently is the 1 7/8 I plan on running custom dumps so if not could you point me in the right directions of other brands that sell long tubes with the 1 3/4 for my ssr?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also I don't have to worry about emissions where i live so if i can find them im looking for catless headers because like i said above i would like to run some custom dumps for it. Either way it would be much appreciated if anyone who has experience with kooks or obx or any other recommendations that have been listed in the forum sent some catless header idea or links my way!

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,855 Posts
Is there the kooks headers with the 1 3/4 primaries all i see currently is the 1 7/8 I plan on running custom dumps so if not could you point me in the right directions of other brands that sell long tubes with the 1 3/4 for my ssr?
Kooks stopped making their 1 3/4 headers for our application. Last I heard, Stainless Works was still making 1 3/4 primaries….

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
4,393 Posts
Also I don't have to worry about emissions where i live so if i can find them im looking for catless headers because like i said above i would like to run some custom dumps for it. Either way it would be much appreciated if anyone who has experience with kooks or obx or any other recommendations that have been listed in the forum sent some catless header idea or links my way!
I thought most headers were catless - its just a question if you include them into the remaining part of the system.
I might be mistaken, because personally I have not installed an aftermarket set of headers on any vehicle that had cats. I never thought the gain was worth the effort, wait I take that back - I installed a short header (direct replacement for OE exhaust manifold) because it was 1/2 the price of the manifold for a daily beater (97 Hyundai Elantra) I used to own.

Why eliminate the Cats? Expense?
Are you willing to deal with a check engine light?
What about when you sell it? I Know in our state --- auto dealers (even independent used car dealers) are LEGALLY not allowed to sell a car that the emissions system has been tampered with.
Tuning would not be noticeable - but no cats would be!

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I know that headers can impact the sound of the truck, but unless there's significant engine modifications, they don't seem to impact performance very much (factory exhaust ain't all that bad). So it begs the question, have you done, or are you going to do some serious engine modifications?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought most headers were catless - its just a question if you include them into the remaining part of the system.
I might be mistaken, because personally I have not installed an aftermarket set of headers on any vehicle that had cats. I never thought the gain was worth the effort, wait I take that back - I installed a short header (direct replacement for OE exhaust manifold) because it was 1/2 the price of the manifold for a daily beater (97 Hyundai Elantra) I used to own.

Why eliminate the Cats? Expense?
Are you willing to deal with a check engine light?
What about when you sell it? I Know in our state --- auto dealers (even independent used car dealers) are LEGALLY not allowed to sell a car that the emissions system has been tampered with.
Tuning would not be noticeable - but no cats would be!
I had just seen some catted short tube headers online so i thought i would specify as to not cause any confusion.
the cats thing for me doesn't have anything to do with expense
I'm not worried about the check engine because i would just invest in a 02 eliminator so that it would throw a code at all.
Don't plan on resale and with dealerships in my area if i did want to sell i would definitely sale it myself
I know what the sound will be like because i know a couple of other people with long tubes on their chevys with the same motor and full straight pipe.
I just need the links or to know where to find my best options

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kooks stopped making their 1 3/4 headers for our application. Last I heard, Stainless Works was still making 1 3/4 primaries….
When im on the stainless works website i dont see any option for the ssr exhausts or any way to navigate there. Is there a part or production number i could look up?
I believe i have found them! Feel free to let me know if these are the ones everyone has talked about.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know that headers can impact the sound of the truck, but unless there's significant engine modifications, they don't seem to impact performance very much (factory exhaust ain't all that bad). So it begs the question, have you done, or are you going to do some serious engine modifications?
Let me just say that i am not fully decided on how far i would like to fall down the rabbit hole but right now i believe headers, intake, cam, and a tune, along with changing our the rear end gearing.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur, top secret can't say anything about another one
6,787 Posts
The truck intake is a pretty good piece and you will probably not find a better intake for the SSR with the 5.3 in it. Most intakes improve performance in the upper RPM range. Keep in mind our truck are on the heavy side and like the extra grunt to get them going. Going to an after market intake may kill some of the low end.

·
Premium Member
2,162 Posts
I see the " Jeg's "...call them before you order any thing...Jegs recently was sold to Investment Group...my brother has ordered parts from Jegs since the 1960's...had trouble recently getting some parts he ordered ...
vp

·
Premium Member
05 Phantom Black Metallic
470 Posts
The Jegs add says " pending manufacturer availability ". You said that these were not on their list anymore, if I were you I would call the manufacturer and speak to one of his Reps, they may have a set laying around or know a dealer that may have a set sitting on a shelve in their store. Couldn't hurt to ask. Good hunting. I love my Kook's

·
Registered
2004 Chevrolet SSR Ultra Violet vin 08302
56 Posts
I have been looking into putting some headers onto my 2003 Ssr and a lot of what i have seen through the forum is people talking about the kooks headers. But a lot of those people also have the 05 06 models and have the c6 oil pan. I am specifically looking at long tubes so what long tubes do you guys recommend that will fit without further mods other than running new exhaust piping.
I just put Kooks long tubes on my 04 UV with Y pipe with cat delete and they fit great and sound awesome ! No mods needed ! I hope this helps

1 - 20 of 21 Posts