Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen the OBX headers and they are quite a bit cheaper than the others and wondering if anyone has them on their truck and how they compare to the other brands. Which brand is easiest to change plugs in and which is the easiest to install? I don't mind paying extra if there is a benefit but hate to pay for a brand that doesn't fit well or takes longer to change plugs. Any suggestions?

·
DFW TX Crew
1,437 Posts
I believe OBX is made overseas. Kooks are probably your better bet. Not saying OBX are bad or anything just that Kooks are made in USA and are very reputable brand. I bought some Kooks and they are very well done.

Josh

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Kook's here and happy with them - well made and fitment was good on my 6 speed version. Plug changing is not an issue, though bear in mind I raced a '67 Mustang with an FE in it, back in the day. I just giggle when they say plug swapping is difficult on an SSR!

Reactions: Firetruck and KRAUT

·
Registered
81 Posts
debating this same thing as my Cats let loose and are noisy. could replace the y pipe with Magnaflow cats and pipe for $536 or the OBX headers/resonators for 687....is there a downside to long tube headers I'm not thinking of? what about the heat next to the ABS unit?

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heat no matter what exhaust, should have the heat shield to help protect it. The only draw backs would be if A) your truck has to be inspected for factory equipment. B) resale may be tougher if someone else has to worry about inspections. C ) may increase exhaust noise a little.

Now for the positive A) better fuel economy. B) better performance. C) more horsepower.D) bragging rights. E) increase cool factor.

So Headers out weigh the stock manifolds. While this was half done jokingly. I will be upgrading my 05 this summer. One other reason is that the LS engines have been known to have exhaust bolts break and a little noise from the leaking manifolds so I will make sure mine are all good when I do the headers.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,041 Posts
If your state has Emission control standards that is the first place to check on headers. Some states don't allow them or just certain ones. Might not pass test and might not be able to sell it later. Just a few things to think about.

Reactions: Stlhotrod

·
Registered
446 Posts
Installed OBX 1 3/4 on my 2006/ 6 speed. Happy with the results, they feed directly into a true dual exhaust with individual Magnaflow resonators.

Did have to "create a bot of clearance" to the brake lines on the RH side.

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Do you know if they will clear the LC32 crossmember? I am running a C6 pan and want to make sure they will clear that setup.
I can't answer your direct question as I'm running Kook's headers on mine, with no interference from the LC32 crossmember. However, I did run into an interference issue with the C6 pan and the Kook's headers. So, that's another area to pay particular attention to! The photo shows the problem area and how far from bolting up, the pan was.
dcp_2661.jpg

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,062 Posts
I can't answer your direct question as I'm running Kook's headers on mine, with no interference from the LC32 crossmember. However, I did run into an interference issue with the C6 pan and the Kook's headers. So, that's another area to pay particular attention to! The photo shows the problem area and how far from bolting up, the pan was.
View attachment 582826
I really like the Stainless Works because they are a little easier to install. They have 1 3/4" primary tubes, where the Kooks is only 1 7/8" primaries nowadays. The right header is a stinker to install and the 1 7/8" primaries make it worse.

If you are installing the Kooks headers, you will need to machine the passageway between the two ports on the side of the pan. That will allow you to pull that cap off the side of the pan and replace it with a countersunk flat plate and some flat-headed allen screws. The result will be just the right clearance to the header.....

Regards,

Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts