Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
USN Retired
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying to get my vette oil pan put on and I am wondering if I should just put the headers on? If so, what type?? looking for stainless and probably should wrap them, whats the benefits of putting on headers? Is it worth it for horsepower, or just the great exhaust sound?

Michael

·
Daily Driver
8,935 Posts
Get the heat out of the already too hot engine compartment.

·
SSR Enthusiast
1,491 Posts
trying to get my vette oil pan put on and I am wondering if I should just put the headers on? If so, what type?? looking for stainless and probably should wrap them, whats the benefits of putting on headers? Is it worth it for horsepower, or just the great exhaust sound?

Michael
I have installed Stainless Works headers as well as Kooks on Rs. Both sound great; I would give the ease of installation to Stainless Works and sound edge to Kooks.

I personally never consider wrapping them; if you are that concerned about heat, have them coated.

Horse Power: You could expect to see about 15rwhp with headers and 20/25rwhp if splitting the y-pipe into dual pipes.
Is it worth it for the minor improved performance and sound; I would do it again and again.

Here's the catch; when increasing exhaust throughput you should also consider a new tune. More air typically results in a (slightly) leaner air/fuel ratio; nothing overly dangerous but no one wants to run lean.
The good news is that if you haven't had a performance tune before, the headers/exhaust and tune could get you 30+rwhp (but at a price).

·
USN Retired
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wrapping is not considered because of the lack of space due to the snug fit or? I have never coated anything but a VW stinger pipe, so not sure if it is that good for heat. However, being a older guy, I had wrapped my Hooker headers/hedmans in thermal wrap to keep down the heat and make them last......whats your experience? I had done the diablo tune, not done a custom one yet.....

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I asked because I have seen some guys with race cars wrap the headers to keep the heat down inside the car but have regretted it as the headers had a shorter life span from the wrap. I always go with just coating them myself.

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,882 Posts
Some advice. Before you do headers etc. make sure it will pass your states emission testing. Most headers will not pass in California. Sometimes that will kill a sale for you in the future. Our state anything goes and I plan to not sell ours so I don't worry about all that. I checked around and the stoick manifolds flow pretty well but after there the pipes neck down into one pipe. I had a custom shop split the Y pipe into two pipes and installed a Magna Flow muffler with two pipes in and two pipes out. The X pipe is in the middle of the muffler. This set up made a huge difference in low end torque and power. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Some advice. Before you do headers etc. make sure it will pass your states emission testing. Most headers will not pass in California. Sometimes that will kill a sale for you in the future. Our state anything goes and I plan to not sell ours so I don't worry about all that. I checked around and the stoick manifolds flow pretty well but after there the pipes neck down into one pipe. I had a custom shop split the Y pipe into two pipes and installed a Magna Flow muffler with two pipes in and two pipes out. The X pipe is in the middle of the muffler. This set up made a huge difference in low end torque and power. Good luck.
:smile2:
Auggie, just this morning I took my R to the custom muffler shop along with my new Maganaflow and had that same modification done to mine. Really didn't notice any significant change in the "sound" from the stock muffler. Both provide some "rumble".

By the way, being as where you are located and commenting about different states and their testing, etc. of cars/trucks. Likely you would/should know, but I seem to recall several years back where one of the Dakotas (or maybe it was Minn.), had this stupid rule (law) that required pickup trucks to display Gross Weight or something similar on the side of the truck. Does that ring any bells???:wink2:

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,882 Posts
:smile2:
Auggie, just this morning I took my R to the custom muffler shop along with my new Maganaflow and had that same modification done to mine. Really didn't notice any significant change in the "sound" from the stock muffler. Both provide some "rumble".

By the way, being as where you are located and commenting about different states and their testing, etc. of cars/trucks. Likely you would/should know, but I seem to recall several years back where one of the Dakotas (or maybe it was Minn.), had this stupid rule (law) that required pickup trucks to display Gross Weight or something similar on the side of the truck. Does that ring any bells???:wink2:

On the SSR exhaust I had the throttle body ported and polished, K&N cold air package and dyno super tune also. On take off when you floor it, it will flat pin you back in the seat. Very big improvement but like you say, not any louder.
Don't see that weight on any trucks around here. Maybe it is required if you use it commercially but I don't think so. I don't have it on any of my trucks. Only lived here 24 years so might have been before that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts