Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,639 Posts
Thinking of installing headers---suggestions
Your information isn't filled out or completed so I don't know where you live. Because many states they are illegal and won't pass smog and it limits where you can offer the vehicle for sale somewhere down the road. Just some things to think about.

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
Your information isn't filled out or completed so I don't know where you live. Because many states they are illegal and won't pass smog and it limits where you can offer the vehicle for sale somewhere down the road. Just some things to think about.
:|

Auggie.......I agree that the whole deal is (something to think about) and one could run into some glitches during an inspection. But at the same time, installing a nice set of header, assuming one would complete the deal with a set of Cats.......should not set off any smog and/or emissions problems I would think. Same deal with installing a set of (cut outs) which I'm considering doing. Is it legal..........not usually, but given you have the cut outs "closed", in my state at least, I've seen no example where the inspector guy looks and/or crawls under the vehicle to check that out.:wink2::wink2::wink2:

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I bought Stainless Works headers and converters that has to be installed with their True Dual Exhaust System and Simple Engineering 5" Outlets for my present '03 SSR. Hope to install this Winter when I get home. I have previously installed SW Headers/converters on my '04 and '05 SSRs with no installation problems. Just my $.02.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,092 Posts
Thinking of installing headers---suggestions
Go to TOOLS, Advanced and enter Headers in the Keyword search box.
There are multiple threads on this subject with lots of info.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,755 Posts
It is on my project list for the winter. I will save all the original parts so if I did sell it, the next owner could put it back stock if they wanted to. That would be my suggestion to save the old parts.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,804 Posts
:|

Auggie.......I agree that the whole deal is (something to think about) and one could run into some glitches during an inspection. But at the same time, installing a nice set of header, assuming one would complete the deal with a set of Cats.......should not set off any smog and/or emissions problems I would think. Same deal with installing a set of (cut outs) which I'm considering doing. Is it legal..........not usually, but given you have the cut outs "closed", in my state at least, I've seen no example where the inspector guy looks and/or crawls under the vehicle to check that out.:wink2::wink2::wink2:

If you bring a vehicle into California and license it, you have to have it inspected by CHP and they will not accept cutouts and may not accept headers. There are those on this forum who may wish to weigh in on this with first hand experience, or maybe not.

Reactions: Auggie Doggie

·
Daily Driver
8,976 Posts
Since he hasn't filled in his information we don't even know what year he's talking about. It does make a difference you know. :shades:

·
Premium Member
20,092 Posts
For California your headers would have to a tag welded on them from manufacturer . It has a number on it to prove it’s legal with cal smog laws . Just easier in cal not to do it

·
Premium Member
2005 Smokin Asphalt, Auto with many, many useful mods.
202 Posts
Hey Blue Streak --- I bought and brought in to California my R from Massachusetts. I didn't have to go the CHP. Went to DMV, got it weighed, then inspected by DMV technician. No issues.

·
Spirited driver!
1,742 Posts
Same here. I bought a WA truck and when I got it titled in CA I only had to pop the hood at the DMV so they could see the smog stickers. They let the smog inspectors worry about the mechanical details.

·
Premium Member
2005 Smokin Asphalt, Auto with many, many useful mods.
202 Posts
Where are you in CA?

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,804 Posts
I bought mine in Rhode Island and left it in Maine for 6 month without registration and then got my temp sticker and took it to Maine and drove the truck home by way of Savannah so the time frame and delays may have had something to do with it. When I picked up the sticker and ordered my plates they said it had to go to CHP before they could give me the plates. That is what I did. No problems and the beat goes on!

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
4,147 Posts
My truck has Stainless Works long tube stainless steel headers, ceramic coated inside & out. Custom exhaust with X-pipe, high flow cats & Flowmaster Super 44 dual in-dual out muffler and topped off with
MikeinAZ’s 5" exhaust tips!
The folks that heard my truck at Branson seemed to really like the tone. I call him "Thunder"! 😉

Reactions: Firetruck
1 - 14 of 14 Posts