Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been digging around trying to figure out the best method for keeping our headlights clear and 'new looking'. There are several opinions ranging from tooth paste to ultra fine sandpaper. I would be interested in hearing what things have actually been tried and proven. During my visit to the Dallas tech event this past weekend, I heard of someone actually putting the clear film over the headlights once they have been refurbished. Has any done that? I appreciate your feedback.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,919 Posts
Expel makes a precut kit to protect the headlights. I put it on mine after I replaced them with new units. Should also work after restoring.
Headlight Protection Kits - XPEL
Greg

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,656 Posts
sam's $29.95 and a 5 year warranty.
This is the best way to go! I tried for years, found Sam's, now they look NEW!

Have to, or should remove spear for best results.

I only had 110K on my R when I did this.

Dicktator

1. Before
2. Before
3. At Sam's Shop, take I hour.
4. New Velcro to hold Spear.
5. Much better!!

Attachments

·
Slingshot Rules!
72,528 Posts
This is the best way to go! I tried for years, found Sam's, now they look NEW!

Dicktator
Great advice, Dicktator . . .

Over the last year or so, I have personally witnessed the results of about a half dozen Sam's Club jobs and they were all impressive . . . especially when you consider the price.

Definitely beats any of the DIY solutions.

! :surprise: ! :glol ! :surprise: ! :glol ! :surprise: !

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,395 Posts
Great advice, Dicktator . . .

Over the last year or so, I have personally witnessed the results of about a half dozen Sam's Club jobs and they were all impressive . . . especially when you consider the price.

Definitely beats any of the DIY solutions.

! :surprise: ! :glol ! :surprise: ! :glol ! :surprise: !
So How do you care for the headlights on the Doophus?

Oh, I forgot, it has only seen the sun for 30-40 days so it does not need any treatment yet! >:)

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,275 Posts
The XPEL protectors that Greg linked above are about 1/16 inch thick. They provide UV protection to prevent Sun degradation/discoloring as well as stone chip protection. Have them on all my vehicles and are unnoticeable unless you point them out. My Old F150 is 18 years old and has over 200k miles, had them on since new and headlights still look new. Recommend them on properly restored headlights as well. Get clear, not smoked tint as the smoke are not for public roadway use. MUST be installed on warm day.

·
Slingshot Rules!
72,528 Posts
So How do you care for the headlights on the Doophus?

Oh, I forgot, it has only seen the sun for 30-40 days so it does not need any treatment yet! >:)
That's an easy one, Dwight . . .

Whenever The Doophus goes outside, he is never parked in direct Sunshine. I'm very much aware of the inevitable damage from the Sun so I will walk a block or two in order to eliminate Sunburn.

Also, on Bath Days the headlights receive a quick JaxWax Polish.

! :surprise: ! :cheers ! :surprise: ! :cheers ! :surprise: !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts