Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody used a St Louis business to restore their aged headlights? Mine are getting to the point that I need to take care of them. Don't want to ruin them since they are so costly.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Has anybody used a St Louis business to restore their aged headlights? Mine are getting to the point that I need to take care of them. Don't want to ruin them since they are so costly.
I have done many plastic headlight restores. Buy a tube of FLITZ, get a sheet of 2000 or 3000 grit wet or dry sandpaper.
Wet sand the lens with the sandpaper and buff the lens with the FLITZ. I use a soft 3 inch power buffer but you can do it by hand, just takes a little longer.
Flitz is a great polish for metals, plastics, gelcoat.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I have used the kit from Harbor Freight. The only thing about that one is that it doesn't have any sealer with it. Have done my 04 SSR, my wife's HHR and a Tracker all need to be done again because of the no sealer. I now have some sealer to keep the UV from discoloring them again.

·
BLU SSR
2,151 Posts
I think Sams Clubs will do them for around $50 and warranty for 5 years. I had them do my HHR and was satisfied but would be more hesitant to leave my SSR for them to work on without standing next to it to watch over it! If you have someone do your SSR I would recommend you remove the spear and cover the velcro with duct tape unless you plan to replace it.

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,661 Posts
Although I removed my spear to install Josh's led upgrade kit, I would be hesitant to remove the spear again to clean the headlights. Anytime you remove a plastic part you risk cracking or breaking the piece. I personally would first attempt to tape off the spear where it meets the lens and clean the lens. If that didn't work to my satisfaction, I then might try spear removal. This is just my take on it.

Dave

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
I did mine with a kit from Meguiar's, came with a scotchbrite pad and the UV sealer spray. I opted to purchase 2000 grit sandpaper for the final polish followed by a scrubbing of PLAST-X (a plastic polish that removes fine scratches), and, finally, the UV sealer/protectant spray. The lenses still look bright and clear after nearly 6 months, and my SSR stays outside 24/7 in the Florida sun and weather.

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,933 Posts
I tried several products that worked but didn't last as long as I think they should.

Went to Sam's Club, $50.00 bucks, 5yr guaranty. Three years now, look great.

Dicktator

1. Remove Spear for Sam's
2. At Sam's, takes about 1 hour.
3. Home, spear back on, looks like new.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
I tried several products that worked but didn't last as long as I think they should.

Went to Sam's Club, $50.00 bucks, 5yr guaranty. Three years now, look great.

Dicktator

1. Remove Spear for Sam's
2. At Sam's, takes about 1 hour.
3. Home, spear back on, looks like new.
I had mine done at pepboys. They were running a special for members for 24.99 They did a great job. also warranted

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had mine done at pepboys. They were running a special for members for 24.99 They did a great job. also warranted
I was in Walmart tire center yesterday. They had a sign 25.00 for headlight restoration. I asked if they clearcoated and he said three coats. Check it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had one guy auto Zone tell me he's always used W-D40. put some on a soft cloth and repeat as needed 6 months down the line. I also remember my ole grandpa used tooth paste and a tooth brush, I did both first the paste to my amazement removed a lot of the yellow film from being in the Texas sun. then the W-D40 made me see able to see at night ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts