Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Brother in law just got here with his SSR and headlights having issues.
switch in auto or on - no headlights high beams ok, parking ok
checked bulb (bulb looks good) and fuse in console fuse box. replaced fuse still not working.
any suggestions besides run during the day only? :grin2:

or just run high beams and enjoy everyone saying hi >:)

·
DFW TX Crew
1,437 Posts
Replace the bulbs and see if they work. I know it sounds crazy for both to go out at the same time but I've seen it happen before.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,918 Posts
There is a relay for the low beam and a fuse for each R and L low beams.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
OK, I assume the relay replaced was the Headlight Driver Module relay. What does that module do, other than the obvious (no low beams) and where is this module located?

On an OMG note, I have never experienced a vehicle with so many fuses and relays. Can only assume that GM got a great deal on fuses and relays and felt they had to use them all when they built the SSR. Fusing driver side and passenger side functions separately? ... like for instance the stop lamps and turn signals .... Just sayin' ...

Ken, Vancouver Island

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,918 Posts
OK, I assume the relay replaced was the Headlight Driver Module. What does that do, other than the obvious (no low beams) and where is this module located?

On an OMG note, I have never experienced a vehicle with so many fuses and relays. Can only assume that GM got a great deal on fuses and relays and felt they had to use them all when they built the SSR. Fusing driver side and passenger side functions separately? ... like for instance the stop lamps and turn signals .... Just sayin' ...

Ken, Vancouver Island
It even confuses the techs at the Chevy dealer.
I bought my SSR from AutoNations Ford in Houston. It had been serviced at their Chevy dealer nearby and at the Ford dealer. When I looked at it the low beams and radio were inop. I pulled the fuse box cover checked for the fuses for the lights and saw the headlight relay/module was not there but there was one in a blank space in front of it. I put the cover back on then went into the other fuse box behind the seat. The amp fuse was also misplaced. So I made a big deal about the headlights and radio and got $1000 off the final negotiated price because I said I will buy it as is and get those fixed myself after they had a "technician" look at it and say he had to pull it in the shop to do some "testing". Clueless!
:smile2:

·
DFW TX Crew
1,437 Posts
Seems like we the consumers always seem to know more about the cars we are wanting to buy then the actual dealerships we buy them from way too much these days....

Greg, that's an instant $1000 worth of mods you can now apply. ;)

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Headlight Driver Module is a specially designed relay that limits the voltage to the low beams in Daytime Running Lamp mode. GM has issued a bulletin for Trailblazer owners that says the unit is warrantied for ten years after vehicle purchase. I've changed two so far on our 2008 TrailblaSSR SS. The bulletin did not mention the SSR,{which is out of time limits anyway} but, like many other GM vehicles that use this exact same relay, it does fail frequently, leaving no low beams at all.
NAPA # is AR6100. Rock auto seems to have the best prices on either the AC DELCO or Standard brand (same manufacturer for NAPA).

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,644 Posts
And don't forget there is a Diode for the Day Time Running lights.

Diode is to reduce amperage to the bulbs to make them last longer during daytime running.

Also the sensor on dash, center close to windshield that can go bad.

Dicktator

Diode in roof compartment.
Headlight sensor

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts