Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I met a guy at the breakfast counter Sunday. He mentioned knowing some one who had to pay an extrordanary premium to insure their SSR. Something about how it was a prototype vehicle. Digging a little deeper I learned it was "a couple of years ago". It all connected when I asked if it was possible the SSR was a signature series.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ripoff insurance rates.

I can tell u from my experience that getting insurance at anything less than the national debt is virtually impossible. :cuss

I've chkd with most "custom/historic/specialty" insurers and most standard Co's as well. Either they hav the most absurd requirements like each driver in the household MUST hav a vehicle NEWER than the insured, that MUST be registered in their own name and then u need an appraisal 4 agreed value. Or, if u go with a standard policy, u can ONLY get insured 4 the regular limits. :banghead

So the "Catch 22" program is in effect 4 us that hav the Signature Series. Either u drive it naked(calm down...no insurance) or u pay extortionist rates or u hope nobody else is driving that day whilst u tool around in ur high priced machine.

If any1 has any leads on gettin a policy at a reasonable cost....drop me a line.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Regular Policy

beer100 said:
Regular? Is that as in the "replacement value" of a production SSR?
/I don't think it's "Replacement Value"....depreciated value unless u hav a "Agreed Value" Policy.

The rip-off's...opps..I mean the ins co's, usually only give u "NADA" Blue book value less anything else they can throw in, 2 minimize their payout.
The way I understand it is: Say u paid $45K 4 ur SSR. U have it 4 6 months n it is stolen...gone 4ever...never heard of again. They will then pay u, after many months of bustin ur chops, the then current value of ur baby when stolen. NOT what u paid 4 it. So here's the math the way I c it.

Cost: $45,000.00
U drive it off the lot u lose about 15% or $6,750.00
6 mons depreciation additional @ 1.5%/month=$4,050.00
Ur finally rebursment=$34,200.00 :cuss

Now NOT ALL ins co's r the same but most r. There in lies the problem...finding 1 that will give u what it's worth.

Remember, if u financed ur baby, u may b on the short end of the stick because the money goes DIRECTLY to the "Loss Payee". Ur finance co. And guess what...ur responsible 4 the balance!!!! :mad :mad :mad

Hav a nice day!!!!!/

:cool

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
If you financed your vehicle you want to purchase gap insurance to cover the difference the insurance company will not pay.

·
Registered
222 Posts
fourhounds said:
If you financed your vehicle you want to purchase gap insurance to cover the difference the insurance company will not pay.
Correctamundo 4hounds.....but not 2 many buyers think of that nor will ur ins co. remind u of it either.

Thanx

·
Registered
87 Posts
Insurance

What's the problem? Are you teenagers or do you just have typical 'teenager' driving records?

State Farm (NJ) is under $800 for coverage at the top limits across the board with $500 deductable. Hey, remember that these things are just cars (trucks) and they depreciate like crazy so get 'em out of the garage and on the road before they turn into $5000 'drivers'.

Note that their current lack of popularity has caused GM to put 'em on the employee and supplier discount program. That's dealer cost and then some. Once the 6 liter stick shift '05's hit the street you'll see these things drop like vaults.

Don't try to kill the messenger.... this is just real world economics. Look at the new C5's going at $12-14,000 off sticker in the major markets with the C6 coming in a month or so. (By the way, our C5 is about $40 more a year than the SSR to insure.)

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
American Collectors Ins. Co.

Diggs said:
...in my Camaro Club magazine is American Collectors Insurance Company. They are at www.americancollectors.com and seem to be OK. It could be worth a look-see. They do stated value insurance and have inflation adjustment built in.

Diggs
Let me show you a pic of an auto that American Collectors refused at a value of $6000. Be your own judge! This is an honest 24,000 mile truck with one repaint; it was never wrecked and that is the original seat cover! Bone stock with the exception of the wheels and that only because there seem to be no '61 GMC wheel covers in existance. The original wooden bed is still intact. Note that the rubber on the chains is still pliable! So why did they refuse it? Value too high? Non stock wheels? Who knows? :mad

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts