Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
BAD BOW TIE
8,419 Posts
Car starts fine when cold, when its hot wont start til it cools off. It takes about 1/2 hr before it starts fine again.
If it is an 05 it probably is a broken wire in the fuse block. Happens a lot with the 05. When cold the wire makes contact at the break and it starts right up. When hot the wire does not touch at the break and you have to wait for the cool down period. There are several folks on here that make a jumper wire or will repair it for you. Several folks have also had starters go out and replaced. They are about 15 years old.

If you go back to the beginning page where the Avatars are and fill out your BIO such as year SSR and location etc. Folks near you can reach out to you.

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,770 Posts
What is it? Do not recognize the term,
Heat soak is a much broader term than just air intake temperatures. It refers to the engine bay's heat situation in general - how the engine itself absorbs and dissipates heat, how well the coolant system works, how well the oil stays slippery, and of course how much power the engine makes during all this.Jul 30, 2011

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Car starts fine when cold, when its hot wont start til it cools off. It takes about 1/2 hr before it starts fine again.
:|
Till you determine just why/what is causing it, this trick worked for me. My old streetrod with a small block Chevy in it did that one time after an extended run down the interstate.

Stopped for gas and after, it would not crank. Filled a large Dixie cup twice with cold water from faucet on side of gas station. Poured directly onto the starter motor.

Got in and drove off.:wink2:

·
BlueStreak
26,585 Posts
Heat soak is a much broader term than just air intake temperatures. It refers to the engine bay's heat situation in general - how the engine itself absorbs and dissipates heat, how well the coolant system works, how well the oil stays slippery, and of course how much power the engine makes during all this.Jul 30, 2011
Thanks for that definition

If this happens only when you have shut it off I suspect the problem is not as AuggieDoggie described. That problem usually shows up while you are driving and the engine just dies and will not start for a half hour or so. If you try moscooter's suggestion you might have a challenge to keep from burning your hand as the engine compartment is a tight fit. Good luck and I hope others jump in with suggestions but meanwhile please do as Auggie suggested and fill in your profile so we know a bit about you and where you are. I see you have been around the site for a year and are finally beginning to post. I hope that means you have been reading and learning about your SSR and this wonderful family.

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
I am having a similar problem on my '04, narrowed it down to a bad starter solenoid which seems to be typical for the 5.3L. It's going into the local shop to get a new starter Monday. I was going to change it but after looking at the access I decided to pay someone else. If I had a lift, it would be a bit easier. I have a local family run shop I trust!

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
Hot soak starter issues usually mean starter cranks slow. The fuse box issue DOES NOT affect the cranking speed.

I would start by checking ALL battery connections. Positive and negative at battery and at ground on frame, and positive terminal on starter.
It would be helpful if you knew cranking current draw when acting up. But without proper equipment that would be difficult.
But you could check voltage levels while cranking and problem is present.
If drops below about 10, weak battery or excessive current draw. If voltage is above 10 and it cranks real slow you have a high resistance problem. Cable, connection or internal starter.

·
BlueStreak
26,585 Posts
How about moving this thread to Technical?
Done. I need to pay more attention to where the threads I am reading are posted. I usually work from the Active Topics list and do not look at what Forum I am going to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
9 Participants
yellow bear
Chevy SSR Forum
Chevy SSR Forum - where SSR fans discuss modifications, wheel & tire tech, performance and so much more!
Full Forum Listing