Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My heater on my '05 does not blow hot air from the heater. The AC works, the center blower speed mtr works, and the Ht/Def, etc on the 3rd button is working also. Could it be as simple as AC Actuator Calibration as described in the "How To" posts? Why would the AC, Heat, etc. ever need recalibration? I thought AC, Heat, were more or less mechanical except for the selector switch.
Jack

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,323 Posts
Do you hear any ticking under dash when moving the temperature dial in either direction?
Can you hear a motor working when you move the dial?
Might have to have truck off and just use the assy position with key to listen for the above....
With the truck warmed up, do you feel heat on both hoses at the firewall?
Your coolant is topped off and seems clean with no gunk?
Any previous history of any cooling or heating issues?
The temperature dial does not change anything at all or just a little bit of change?

There are 3 motors that control air flow and temp under the dash and they are prone to issues. One controls fresh and recirculated air, one for temperature and one for directing airflow from floor to dash.

You do not need to do the calibration procedure for the actuators if you don't want to, you can simply remove the battery power for a few seconds, the actuator motors recalibrate when power is removed and restored.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will check for the ticking tomorrow and try the disconnecting the battery both. I have AC and there isn't a lot of cold weather left but I want it to work.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lucked out again!! The heater issue was there was no water going through the heater core. It just had a short hose connected to nothing inserted from one heater core outlet to the other. Got the proper push-on connectors and replaced both heater hoses and, WALLA, got lot of heat. Still no AC. Checked freon level and that was very low so recharged the system and WALLA, now have both heat and air.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
When my heat/air fan on dash is turned off it makes a loud click click click sound until turned on.
I pulled my dash for speedo work and wonder if that has something to do with it.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,323 Posts
Lucked out again!! The heater issue was there was no water going through the heater core. It just had a short hose connected to nothing inserted from one heater core outlet to the other. Got the proper push-on connectors and replaced both heater hoses and, WALLA, got lot of heat. Still no AC. Checked freon level and that was very low so recharged the system and WALLA, now have both heat and air.
Well, that was an easy fix. The heater core of the SSR always has hot water running through it, there is a thought out there that it adds a little heat to the cab of the truck. Some people put a loop in or install an electronic solenoid that will control the water flow to prevent it from coming in the cab when not needed. Kind of like the old school days......

When my heat/air fan on dash is turned off it makes a loud click click click sound until turned on.
I pulled my dash for speedo work and wonder if that has something to do with it.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks
Usually that clicking sound means you have a broken tooth on one of the 3 motors under the dash that control the heat, air direction or fresh/recirculated air. The clicking should only happen with one dial position. Move them individually to see which one make the clicking stop, that would the the bad one. Try the heat knob all the way cold and hot, then do the fresh air and recirculated air, then make the air go from dash to floor. One of those actions should make the sound stop, the one that does is the motor that has the issue.

The recirculation motor is the one that is a real PITA to get to. It is located in passenger area against the quarter panel. It can be replaced without taking out dash but it is not easy. The other one that I have done is the one that controls the air from floor to dash. That one is located behind the stereo so it is fairly easy to get to. The other one I would have to research and locate for you. Parts are available and about $40 or so.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,323 Posts
So if I turn the fan off that is when it clicks means it is the fan motor? All the other speeds do not click.
No .... are you sure there is no clicking at all in the dash area with the motor on speed 1, engine off and key in accy to allow the electrical parts to operate? The only clicking issues I know of are related to the door actuators as I mentioned above. I know of no issue that would cause clicking with the blower motor off other than the blower noise is drowning out the clicking of the actuators and you cannot hear it with it on. Either that or one of the actuators is going to a different position when you shut down the blower. That is why I asked that you cycle all the knob positions so you could narrow down which actuator has issues.

This is a constant clicking about every second that never ends correct? This is not an unbalanced blower motor that ticks a little while it is shutting down and then stops clicking when it stops spinning right?

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,323 Posts
Actually I found out today that if I turn on the air circulation on the center knob it clicks all the time on every speed.

If you press the center recirculation button and it stops and starts the clicking then yes, you found the issue, it is the recirculation actuator. Out of all 3 actuators that could cause a ticking issues, this one is the worst for replacement. If you look under the dash in the passenger foot well area and to the top of the AC unit you will see and hear the recirculation door clicking and thumping due to the plastic gears missing a tooth. The problem unit is attached to that door, between the AC box and the truck kick panel wall.

If you go to the dealer I think it is a $2000 or so job to replace the $40 motor because they remove the entire dash from the truck. There is about 1 inch of room to get tools and hands into if you try to do it in the truck. It's been discussed here many times. Most people decide to just not put the system into the mode that causes the issue or put the system into the mode they want and then disconnect the power connection to the actuator.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts