Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All our trucks are a minimum of 21 yrs old and heater hoses are bound to fail if for no other reason than dry rot. Pre-made heater hoses are no longer available. Not too hard to replicate BUT the trick to heater hose replacement is the snap-on connectors at the firewall (heater core). I didn't know whether I would need the straight-on or 90 degree connectors so I bought both. I will post later which one I used. O'Reilly's stocks the straight-on (Part #Dorman 47165) but NOT the 90 deg (Part Dorman 800-416) which I got at NAPA. Whichever you use, you will need 2. Price about $15 ea X 2. Might check other outlets, Auto Zone, Advance, etc.

Correction!! One of the outlets is 5/8" and the other is 3/4". Local NAPA and O'Reilly's had the 5/8" in stock but had to order next day on the 3/4". My truck had a plastic T in the short hose from Motor, to Overflow, to heater core. We also replaced it with a brass fitting. We replaced every rubber hose under the hood, heater, radiator, overflows, any we could find. Also replaced both belts and thermostat. Also replaced the oil pressure sending unit as the one on it cycled to 80, back to 0, and back to 80. It now works properly. I know it was a gamble whether it was sending unit or stepper motor but you have to get a little good luck every now and then.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,054 Posts
New Hoses available from Gates

I worked with Gates Engineering to create a new set of molded heater hoses for the SSR. Those were released last year and are now available. The hoses are more discrete than the OEM set. They use the higher grade Gates firewall disconnects and the fabulous Gates heat shrink clamps at the pre-built fittings. If you wish to buy a set, here’s the link: SSR Heater Hose Set

Regards,

Mike

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mike but a little too pricey for me. I didn't mention I am going to install a complete chrome engine department cover and fender well covers and your hoses might not work with them.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,017 Posts
All our trucks are a minimum of 21 yrs old and heater hoses are bound to fail if for no other reason than dry rot. Pre-made heater hoses are no longer available. Not too hard to replicate BUT the trick to heater hose replacement is the snap-on connectors at the firewall (heater core). I didn't know whether I would need the straight-on or 90 degree connectors so I bought both. I will post later which one I used. O'Reilly's stocks the straight-on (Part #Dorman 47165) but NOT the 90 deg (Part Dorman 800-416) which I got at NAPA. Whichever you use, you will need 2. Price about $15 ea X 2. Might check other outlets, Auto Zone, Advance, etc.

The trucks are not 21 years old. The first ones were made in 2003 so they would be max 15 years old. ????? Don't get me wrong, hoses still could be bad.

Reactions: James Dean

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,054 Posts
Thanks Mike but a little too pricey for me. I didn't mention I am going to install a complete chrome engine department cover and fender well covers and your hoses might not work with them.
If you are going to build your own hoses, I do not recommend using the Dorman firewall quick disconnect fittings. Of the 16 prototype sets of hoses I hand built using those fittings, there were two failures. One set suffered a cracked fitting and the second failed set was a leaking o-ring that turned out to be the fitting land that the o-ring nested in. Note..... the second failed set was on MY truck after about 2,000 miles of endurance testing. Both of the failures were isolated to the Dorman part.

If you are going to build your own hoses, I highly recommend using Gates components. Also...... be careful not to scratch the aluminum heater core lines that the fittings snap onto. The outer surface of the aluminum lines is the inner sealing surface for the o-rings on the fittings.

Regards,

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts