Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is no big deal but am just curious. The front height measured at highest point on fender well is 28 1/2 (35000, miles) Measured another at 29" (75000 miles). Tire pressure is right on. The TOY had 20k on it when I purchased it. Can't believe anyone would lower it a 1/2 ". Any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
7,279 Posts
This is no big deal but am just curious. The front height measured at highest point on fender well is 28 1/2 (35000, miles) Measured another at 29" (75000 miles). Tire pressure is right on. The TOY had 20k on it when I purchased it. Can't believe anyone would lower it a 1/2 ". Any suggestions.
Please do not refer to me as "another" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Yes I have a suggestion !!! Maybe it was my driveway ... might have been a high spot in the concrete when we measured yours or it could have been a low spot when I measured mine. :grin2: :grin2: :grin2:

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
:surprise:
It sounds as though you measured side by side with another. Did you consider taking into account the tire size/ratio aspect. Your's just may be different than the other one. This could be a primary reason for the diff.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please do not refer to me as "another" /forum/images/SSRFanatic_2016/smilies/tango_face_smile_big.png /forum/images/SSRFanatic_2016/smilies/tango_face_smile_big.png /forum/images/SSRFanatic_2016/smilies/tango_face_smile_big.png Yes I have a suggestion !!! Maybe it was my driveway ... might have been a high spot in the concrete when we measured yours or it could have been a low spot when I measured mine. /forum/images/SSRFanatic_2016/smilies/tango_face_grin.png /forum/images/SSRFanatic_2016/smilies/tango_face_grin.png /forum/images/SSRFanatic_2016/smilies/tango_face_grin.png
Measured it at home, both sides same measurement. So got any other suggestions?

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Had one been sitting and not driven for a while and the other had been? If so the spring on the one driven may have had more movement and cause a different height than the one that had been sitting. I asked what the stock height was when I got mine to verify mine had not been lowered and I got a couple different answers but they were all with in an inch if I remember correctly.

·
Premium Member
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
/forum/images/SSRFanatic_2016/smilies/tango_face_surprise.png
It sounds as though you measured side by side with another. Did you consider taking into account the tire size/ratio aspect. Your's just may be different than the other one. This could be a primary reason for the diff./forum/images/SSRFanatic_2016/smilies/tango_face_wink.png
Same size tire. Might be the quality of air. The "other"" truck has new air from Buds tire. When I had mine installed at Discount tire and I cannot afford new air so we used my old air. The molecule is different from old air versus new air.

·
Premium Member
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had one been sitting and not driven for a while and the other had been? If so the spring on the one driven may have had more movement and cause a different height than the one that had been sitting. I asked what the stock height was when I got mine to verify mine had not been lowered and I got a couple different answers but they were all with in an inch if I remember correctly.
Now that sounds like a great answer, that I will expect.

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,004 Posts
Same size tire. Might be the quality of air. The "other"" truck has new air from Buds tire. When I had mine installed at Discount tire and I cannot afford new air so we used my old air. The molecule is different from old air versus new air.
:agree
This is most likely the answer.

However, I think on another thread somewhere I read the tolerance in height difference was something like 1/2 inch.... It's somewhere in the tire ride height discussions.

- Robert
:silver:

·
Ms Donna's Driver
04’ Silver and 05’ Sinister
4,867 Posts
need to consider rear height at fender openings and the four ground spots where the truck was sitting must be the same elevation I would think that the driveway would not not be level since it drains water

Reactions: Quest

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,778 Posts
This might be a crazy question, but how about fuel load? If I was real curious, I'd run it near empty, check the height and then fill her up and check the height. It might make some difference.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
When comparing vehicles always insure fuel load, tire pressure, tire size, cargo area clean. The manufacturer lists build tolerance to be plus or minus 12mm side to side in front and plus or minus 6mm in the rear. Therefore difference between cars could be as much as 24mm in the front or 12mm in the rear.

The shop manual describes the measurements known as trim height.

Also realize the springs will sag over a period of time so mileage may have something to do with your differences.

1/2 inch would be within factory specs

·
HobbyBob
641 Posts
Age and mileage are the secret. Mileage applies as stated by SBUBBAKLEIN. The springs lose some temper by going thru heating and cooling cycles, like mild heat treating and the material relaxes a bit. The other component that can cause the difference is the suspension bushings and body bushings.:jester:cheers

·
Premium Member
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Age and mileage are the secret. Mileage applies as stated by SBUBBAKLEIN. The springs lose some temper by going thru heating and cooling cycles, like mild heat treating and the material relaxes a bit. The other component that can cause the difference is the suspension bushings and body bushings.
I agree I agree I agree. As stated in my original post. I have 40,000 less miles on mine and it is lower.

·
Premium Member
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Robert, I suspect the total weight of all the CHROME AND BLING you have added to your ride lowered your truck at least 1/2 inch! /forum/images/SSRFanatic_2016/smilies/tango_face_wink.png /forum/images/SSRFanatic_2016/smilies/tango_face_devil.png
Thanks Jim, you the MAN.
That's my answer. LOL.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
:|

Whew, I'm glad this whole deal is solved via the (extra bling). Although I was really into the (old air versus new air) in the tires as the solution.:grin2:

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
But was it same brand and model tire? brand A tire 275x45 and brand B tire 275x45 can vary in overall diameter +- 0.1inch While not the full 1/2 inch difference but when you add in difference in tread-wear it could explain some of the difference.

·
Ms Donna's Driver
04’ Silver and 05’ Sinister
4,867 Posts
Keep in mind that the engine is not in physical center

1 - 20 of 22 Posts