Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
A Big welcome from Estero, Fl. you will Love the SSR & the info filled family you will find on this site; prepare for the " perma grin " which is included. Lot's of us here in Florida. WELCOME !!!

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
1,018 Posts
Joined the forum yesterday and looking forward to picking your brains and sharing SSR info.
Tested an "04" over the weekend and going back today, to hopefully seal a deal.
Very Excited :wink2:
YES! Absolutely, take cali201's advice! Check this forum for what to look for BEFORE sealing the deal! Too many small things that can really bite you in the rear that even the dealer may not be aware of. If you can provide more info on the SSR you are looking at (VIN #?) there may be some members familiar with that truck. Also, you will want to be familiar with the SSR "upgrades" in order to determine if any have already been done to that vehicle. This site will also give you good idea of what is a reasonable sale price ... if you list the year and mileage of the SSR, you will likely get some good advice as to what you should be willing to pay.

While not comprehensive, this thread lists SOME of the things that are high on the "must fix" list.
Some things to check

Also, where are you in Florida? There are LOTS of SSR owners in Florida and there may be an owner in your area that will be happy to accompany you to check out the SSR that you are considering. There are also LOTS of SSRs for sale, may even be a few on this forum, you just have to do a simple search for them ... don't feel pressured to buy the one that is near you because you feel you might not find another. I didn't join this forum until AFTER I bought my 2005, but I sure wish I had become more familiar with the things that are known issues with the SSR BEFORE I put my money down.

In the 2 years I have owned the SSR, I have replaced:

ignition switch (affects various electrical components), LED bed light (fire issue), radiator support (replace plastic support), radiator fan (overheating), ABS heat shield, all 8 hydraulic servos for the convertible top (due to leaking), bed lid pneumatic pistons (holds open bed lid), top pneumatic pistons (assists in opening and closing top), battery (died 3x -- due to OEM radio), transmission linkage (crumbled plastic), hood emblem (easily broken), wheel center covers (tire shop broke tabs on OEM), windshield wiper arms. The above are COMMON issues for the SSR and will likely occur at some point in the SSR's life.

Good luck to you ...

·
SSR Pit Crew
2,051 Posts
Welcome fellow Floridian! As carlbush has pointed out there are many things to look at besides the beautiful lines of the R. Look this forum over for information on our vehicle and take your time making your decision. You want to have that permagrin on from the moment of purchase with no regrets down the road..

Dave

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,397 Posts
A big hearty welcome from Sunny Sturgis South Dakota!!!

·
Premium Member
3,069 Posts
Welcome from central OHIO home of THE Ohio State Buckeyes
I would also like to jump on the band wagon about what Carl posted :agree

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,147 Posts
A couple things you will want to do as soon as you can.

Let us all know where in Florida you are at. A lot of us around and we are always willing to assist with any issues.

Sign up for the Florida Fanatic newsletter. Go to SSR Fanatics Florida Chapter and fill out the quick form.

Check out the thread on the upcoming rally in Daytona Beach.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,635 Posts
TeakFreak>>>>Welcome from Forney Texas!!! you are on the BEST FORUM ever, BUT-----Go to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" it will show in the left column under your name and we will know where you are and what you drive. Then if you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out.

Nick

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Welcome from Ormond Beach. Take Carl's advice there are many nuances with the SSR. Many of the items that he mentioned are small and inexpensive but need to be addressed. Some like the 8 hydraulic servos for the convertible top (due to leaking) are expensive.

David

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hearty welcome from the west coast of Florida, If you are buying your truck from a dealer see if you can still get the extended warranty might seem expensive at the time but will be worth it in the long run if you have any issues down the road. I am already into my warranty company for $5,000 and still have three years and a lot of miles to go.

·
Premium Member
38,624 Posts
Welcome from Canada! :cheers

Good advice from Cali201 & carlbush. Also if you ask maybe you could get a fanatic to look it with & help point things out for you.

:black:
:purple:
Krazy Ed

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt
47,338 Posts
Welcome From Western Pa !!!!!!!!!!! :00000732:

·
Slingshot Rules!
75,489 Posts
WELCOME . . . from Southern Arizona.