Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all here at SSR Fanatic.com, from a newbie.
I bumped into the site while searching for a 1955 Bel Air, Street Rod, or a SSR, what ever right one comes 1st. I know they're to different vehicles, but I always liked a 55 Chevy done as the right street rod, plus never owned one, & the SSR is one of those vehicles that you either love them or not, & when I 1st saw a yellow one in person at a February, 2003 car show close to me, I was one that liked them from the start. I owned many muscle cars over the years, but by 1974 & 75, it was way to hard to find fuel with enough octane to run 11.5:1 pistons. I went to the airport & bought 100/130 & even that changed to 100 Low Lead by 1976, but it got to be a pain to fill up 5 gallon gas cans to keep then going down the road. I know, this making me sound like an Old Fart, I guess I do fall in that category. The 1st car I built in 67 was a 1936 2 door Chevrolet sedan & put in a 283 that I made into a 301, 2nd car, a 69 Z/28, 3rd car, a 66 Chevy II SS, with the L-79 327/350 hp, 4th car, a 69 COPO Camaro. It was the little steel head one with only 425 hp, but a pair of open headers, Edelbrock Sideways Torker Intake, & 456 gears made it the only 10 second 1/4 mile street/strip car that I owned. 5th car, a 1948 English Ford Anglia, that I built with a 327, 6th & last one, another 1969 Z/28, but this was a rally sport Z. See the pattern, a Chevy kinda person. Like I said, gas was a factor, then kids, house, & then the only wrenching I did was keeping 2 cars going, until they went to fixing the car's injection under the dash with a chip & not under the hood anymore, 3 mowers & the kids motorcycles, then college bills, you know the routine, and now, I'd like to get my last big boy toy. So there's a little about me & my motor head days. The big thing that changed in the past 10 to 12 years to me, was in my time we used to say, WOW, that has 400 to 500 hp under the hood, & now in present time it's, it's ONLY 400 to 500 hp & a 10 second street machine is slow now a days, at least with the top ones.
Now I have a question I hope some of you SSR professionals can give me some advice on ?? Oh, by the way, the SSR may have beat out the double nickle Bel Air, that's what my question is about.
I found a 2006 Pacific Blue SSR with 3,200 miles on it for $37,000 that's about 2 hrs away from me.
I'm not up on all the options, but here are what I think were options. It has the Manual Trans & Eaton Rear (which could be a bad thing down the road, because of so few made, compared to the auto trans & rear), Rear Wind Screen, Chrome or Polished Wheels, Gauges in Front of Console & the Carpet & Fake Wood Strip in the Bed. That's all I know with what I think were options ?? Is This A Fair Price ??
Thank You,
Rick.

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
sounds nice, perhaps there is a forum member who can go see it with you. then you can see if there is a bunch of desired equipment.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Hello to all here at SSR Fanatic.com, from a newbie.
I bumped into the site while searching for a 1955 Bel Air, Street Rod, or a SSR, what ever right one comes 1st. I know they're to different vehicles, but I always liked a 55 Chevy done as the right street rod, plus never owned one, & the SSR is one of those vehicles that you either love them or not, & when I 1st saw a yellow one in person at a February, 2003 car show close to me, I was one that liked them from the start. I owned many muscle cars over the years, but by 1974 & 75, it was way to hard to find fuel with enough octane to run 11.5:1 pistons. I went to the airport & bought 100/130 & even that changed to 100 Low Lead by 1976, but it got to be a pain to fill up 5 gallon gas cans to keep then going down the road. I know, this making me sound like an Old Fart, I guess I do fall in that category. The 1st car I built in 67 was a 1936 2 door Chevrolet sedan & put in a 283 that I made into a 301, 2nd car, a 69 Z/28, 3rd car, a 66 Chevy II SS, with the L-79 327/350 hp, 4th car, a 69 COPO Camaro. It was the little steel head one with only 425 hp, but a pair of open headers, Edelbrock Sideways Torker Intake, & 456 gears made it the only 10 second 1/4 mile street/strip car that I owned. 5th car, a 1948 English Ford Anglia, that I built with a 327, 6th & last one, another 1969 Z/28, but this was a rally sport Z. See the pattern, a Chevy kinda person. Like I said, gas was a factor, then kids, house, & then the only wrenching I did was keeping 2 cars going, until they went to fixing the car's injection under the dash with a chip & not under the hood anymore, 3 mowers & the kids motorcycles, then college bills, you know the routine, and now, I'd like to get my last big boy toy. So there's a little about me & my motor head days. The big thing that changed in the past 10 to 12 years to me, was in my time we used to say, WOW, that has 400 to 500 hp under the hood, & now in present time it's, it's ONLY 400 to 500 hp & a 10 second street machine is slow now a days, at least with the top ones.
Now I have a question I hope some of you SSR professionals can give me some advice on ?? Oh, by the way, the SSR may have beat out the double nickle Bel Air, that's what my question is about.
I found a 2006 Pacific Blue SSR with 3,200 miles on it for $37,000 that's about 2 hrs away from me.
I'm not up on all the options, but here are what I think were options. It has the Manual Trans & Eaton Rear (which could be a bad thing down the road, because of so few made, compared to the auto trans & rear), Rear Wind Screen, Chrome or Polished Wheels, Gauges in Front of Console & the Carpet & Fake Wood Strip in the Bed. That's all I know with what I think were options ?? Is This A Fair Price ??
Thank You,
Rick.
A few thoughts:
-6spds were made in 05/06 and typically command a premium over an auto
-That is a very low mileage vehicle, again a premium but may be some concern due to sitting (but not a deal breaker for me).
-A “full chrome” vehicle, not just wheels is a limited option. Chrome wheels are very common option, check the shifter surround or interior door handles to see if it is a full chrome vehicle if that is what you want. All the satin parts can be swapped to chrome, but it is getting harder. That said, the satin looks nice too.
-The console gauges are cool for some people, and are pricey if you attempt to go buy a set.
-A carpeted bed is more desirable, and the faux wood strips is also desirable.
-Running boards is also a desireable option.
-Final production run Rs can command a higher price, they were some of the last few off the production line and have a special chrome badge on the waterfall console.
-Pacific Blue was only made for 1 year. Only 530 were made. There were 91 6spd chrome examples. I just bought one.

Regarding price, that is really hard to say and really up to you. I would say it isn’t super outrageous as the miles are low and if it is a chrome 6spd, paint is in good shape and it is what you want. There are additional costs you’ll probably be looking at soon like tires, assuming the tires are originals or really old.

My advice: If you want it, buy it and forget about the price, and don’t listen to anyone else’s opinion. It’s like buying a computer, someone always has a better spec’d one and got it cheaper.

I have 2 06 chrome trucks, with carpeted beds, running boards, etc. Both are around 50K miles, and you wouldn’t guess it by looking at them. One is a silver auto and the other is a pac blue 6spd. The pac blue is nearly bone stock and the silver was stock, but now just looks it. I’ve personally done all the upgrades and it rides and handles dramatically better than a stock. I didn’t appreciate it as much until driving them both for a couple hundred miles back to back.

Go have a look at it, quickly if you are really interested. Pac Blues aren’t common and 6spds are rare-er. Check the tires and see if the top goes up and down, and everything works to know if there are any other immediate expenses, none of it would be a dealbreaker for me as I can fix it all, and of course you’ll get some help here.

Buy it if you like it. Then come back and lets talk :). Come to the Branson rally, then come to a tech day in the Houston area and we’ll help you out.

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
37,436 Posts
Where in Pa are you located as stated above maybe one of us can help you make a good choice ? I'm just north of Pittsburgh.

·
Premium Member
2,472 Posts
A few words from another "Blues Brother" (those who own a Pacific Blue SSR). I also recently purchased a Pac Blue 6 speed. My previous Pac Blue was an automatic (which I sadly totaled) and I absolutely love the 6 speed! There are an usual amount of Pac Blue 6 speeds on the market right now, so you do have some options. Having one only 2 hours away sure makes that one tempting and it's seems well optioned. I'm unclear if it has the premium chrome wheel and interior package though.

We do have an SSR Fanatic that has a Pac Blue 6 speed for sale with all the options. While I was searching to replace my truck a month ago, I happened to be in the Atlanta, Georgia area. I looked at and drove the truck. I hadn't settled with my insurance company yet so no deal was made but the truck was very nice and drove very well! Here is the link if you are interested in looking around. Jim is a really nice guy!

I also nearly bought a Final Production Run (FPR) 6 speed at a very good price with 19,000 miles with also the chrome package, carpet kit, gauges and running boards. Both of these are well below $37K. Not as low milage but as TXNSSR stated, driving them some is better than just parking them but certainly not a deal breaker!

Not trying to talk you out of that truck but giving you some options. Like I said, it's unusual to have several choices when it comes to a Pac Blue 6 speed. Send me a conversation (private message) if you want to know more about the other truck or call me at 419-439-0473.

Regardless, I hope to have you join us as a "Blues Brother"! 😎

·
MY05SSR
476 Posts
It doesn't matter, if you want the truck and can afford it, then BUY it.
I bought my 6 speed for less, but it had serious issues (and had to trailer it home). If your happy with what you bought, who cares!

·
MY05SSR
476 Posts
And I forgot to welcome you from Northeast Georgia to the best knowledgeable SSR family there is. With this group, there isn't nothing they can't figure out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A few thoughts:
-6spds were made in 05/06 and typically command a premium over an auto
-That is a very low mileage vehicle, again a premium but may be some concern due to sitting (but not a deal breaker for me).
-A “full chrome” vehicle, not just wheels is a limited option. Chrome wheels are very common option, check the shifter surround or interior door handles to see if it is a full chrome vehicle if that is what you want. All the satin parts can be swapped to chrome, but it is getting harder. That said, the satin looks nice too.
-The console gauges are cool for some people, and are pricey if you attempt to go buy a set.
-A carpeted bed is more desirable, and the faux wood strips is also desirable.
-Running boards is also a desireable option.
-Final production run Rs can command a higher price, they were some of the last few off the production line and have a special chrome badge on the waterfall console.
-Pacific Blue was only made for 1 year. Only 530 were made. There were 91 6spd chrome examples. I just bought one.

Regarding price, that is really hard to say and really up to you. I would say it isn’t super outrageous as the miles are low and if it is a chrome 6spd, paint is in good shape and it is what you want. There are additional costs you’ll probably be looking at soon like tires, assuming the tires are originals or really old.

My advice: If you want it, buy it and forget about the price, and don’t listen to anyone else’s opinion. It’s like buying a computer, someone always has a better spec’d one and got it cheaper.

I have 2 06 chrome trucks, with carpeted beds, running boards, etc. Both are around 50K miles, and you wouldn’t guess it by looking at them. One is a silver auto and the other is a pac blue 6spd. The pac blue is nearly bone stock and the silver was stock, but now just looks it. I’ve personally done all the upgrades and it rides and handles dramatically better than a stock. I didn’t appreciate it as much until driving them both for a couple hundred miles back to back.

Go have a look at it, quickly if you are really interested. Pac Blues aren’t common and 6spds are rare-er. Check the tires and see if the top goes up and down, and everything works to know if there are any other immediate expenses, none of it would be a dealbreaker for me as I can fix it all, and of course you’ll get some help here.

Buy it if you like it. Then come back and lets talk :). Come to the Branson rally, then come to a tech day in the Houston area and we’ll help you out.
Thank You Mr Bill for getting back with me.
I did look & there is no chrome shifter surround or interior door handles, just the wheels.
It does have running boards.
No Final production run chrome badge on the waterfall console. I do know what you're talking about, because I did see that on a couple of 06 SSRs while searching.
I did find a 03 yellow one locally at a car lot & took it for a test drive. It had the 5.3 & there was nothing wrong with that engine. It was not taken care of, even if it was a daily driver, which it had to be with 140,000 miles on it, so I moved on. I did not test drive a 6.0 to compare the two.
I love the new tech in these new cars, less maintenance & better mileage, but when it comes to troubleshooting the electronics, I'm lost there. Now a small block Chev, no problem. It's been a few years & I'll need to get out the manual for torque specs, but when I was racing stock classes & hurt an engine, when I got home & starting at 8 am the next day, give me 6 hours, the hood would be off, drive shaft, cross member & motor mounts dropped & disconnected, engine & trans out as 1, engine on the stand engine apart, problem solved, engine back together, torque sequence & proper torques locked in the brain (no manuals needed at that point), engine & trans back in, set up & tuned, hood back on & ready for next weeks races. Naturally, if a scored cylinder or main or rod journal, would be much longer then 6 hrs, but that was a long time ago, when the body still worked good !! I still plan to do what I can. That's part of having a big boy or girl toy !!!
It sounds as you have a nice pair Bill.
Thanks again for taking your time to help
Kindest Regards,
Rick.

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
37,436 Posts
I live about 50 minutes west of the other big City in PA James, Philadelphia.
Kindest Regards,
Rick.
At least we are not in the big city's !!!!! :)
Welcome From Western Pa !!!!!!!!!!!

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
1,331 Posts
One thing you won't get with street rod or that 55 Belair....a fanatic family! I have a street rod as well but the family you will gain here far outweighs your other options. The commonality we all have makes trouble shooting a breeze. There are several gurus on here for every possible issue, even those pesky electrical ones. So choose wisely.....
Oh and hellooooo from Cincinnati!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A few words from another "Blues Brother" (those who own a Pacific Blue SSR). I also recently purchased a Pac Blue 6 speed. My previous Pac Blue was an automatic (which I sadly totaled) and I absolutely love the 6 speed! There are an usual amount of Pac Blue 6 speeds on the market right now, so you do have some options. Having one only 2 hours away sure makes that one tempting and it's seems well optioned. I'm unclear if it has the premium chrome wheel and interior package though.

We do have an SSR Fanatic that has a Pac Blue 6 speed for sale with all the options. While I was searching to replace my truck a month ago, I happened to be in the Atlanta, Georgia area. I looked at and drove the truck. I hadn't settled with my insurance company yet so no deal was made but the truck was very nice and drove very well! Here is the link if you are interested in looking around. Jim is a really nice guy!

I also nearly bought a Final Production Run (FPR) 6 speed at a very good price with 19,000 miles with also the chrome package, carpet kit, gauges and running boards. Both of these are well below $37K. Not as low milage but as TXNSSR stated, driving them some is better than just parking them but certainly not a deal breaker!

Not trying to talk you out of that truck but giving you some options. Like I said, it's unusual to have several choices when it comes to a Pac Blue 6 speed. Send me a conversation (private message) if you want to know more about the other truck or call me at 419-439-0473.

Regardless, I hope to have you join us as a "Blues Brother"! 😎
Hello:
Sorry to read about your accident .
As I told Mr Bill, I think in Texas, after he explained that the chrome wheels are more common then the chrome package. This only has the chrome wheels, not the chrome handles or console shifter plate around the boot.
No Final Production Run chrome badge on the waterfall console, so it's not one of those either.
I agree with both of you about the low mileage, because I do have concerns with that too. It's always better to run & circulate all the fluids, then just letting them basically sit for 14 years. That is a bite scary.
Makes it about 19 miles per month & I doubt he did it as under 5 miles per month. If he did, I could live with that, but you know he did not do it like that. It more then likely just sat for months to maybe years at a time. More then likely bought it just to sell someday, so he or she did not enjoy it. Were I 1st saw it was on eBay listed at $43,000 about a month ago & then disappeared after the 7 day Buy It Now action ended, & now I bumped into it on Trovit Cars at $37,000.
I did check out the Georgia one you listed above to see if it's available, but in the last post back on March 6, 2017 it states, Sorry...decision not to sell is final.
Thank You for the Georgia SSR info & also for taking your time to comment.
Kindest Regards,
Rick.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome Rick, from a former PA guy. Now in NC!
Hello back Blur'd Vision & Thank You.
My oldest son left Pa 15 years ago & Moved to the Charlotte Area for about 2 years & then to Weaverville, NC (just north of Asheville) for about 5 years. He's a hiker, so he loved that area of North Carolina. In fact when he lived in Charlotte, he would drive drive to the Asheville area to hike the mountains on the weekends. Now he lives north west of Denver, CO. The mountains are nothing to sneeze at in the western end of NC, but now he lives in the really big mountains. His job gets him around.
Kindest Regards,
Rick.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rick,

I'm in Carlisle with a 2005 that has been tuned. It has all the options for that year.

Tim
Hello Tim:
I've been to Carlisle many time in my life over the years to go to the many great Carlisle Car Shows & Swap Meets.
I live about 1.5 hrs east of you if I take the turnpike (that you need a Brinks truck following you so you can pay the tolls anymore, plus they don't take care of the highway as they use to do before it went privately owned) in a little town called Brickerville. If you never been there you will not have a clue where it's at. Most know of Lancaster County. Brickerville is in Northern Lancaster County & if you blink, you missed it. It's about 3 minutes from the Lebanon County Line. It really north in little Africa. It a standing saying in Lancaster, because how much the shape of Lancaster County resembles Africa.
It sounds like you may have a runner in your hands with your 2005.
Kindest Regards,
Rick.

·
Premium Member
2,472 Posts
Rick, I think you might have looked at the wrong Pac Blue in Georgia. The owner just posted 3 hours ago that he was lowering the price. You might want to take a second look on this link...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One thing you won't get with street rod or that 55 Belair....a fanatic family! I have a street rod as well but the family you will gain here far outweighs your other options. The commonality we all have makes trouble shooting a breeze. There are several gurus on here for every possible issue, even those pesky electrical ones. So choose wisely.....
Oh and hellooooo from Cincinnati!
Hello back WKRB.
My 1st impressions of something are normally good, so I have to agree with you.
The commonality has been very good in this SSR community with my question.
I hope you got the WKRP above, but may be to young to remember the great half hour comedy show in the early 70's, WKRB in Cincinnati.
That show use to crack me up. I enjoyed that half hour, & all the different personalities of the characters really worked, but my favorite was the Thanksgiving show with the Big Guy & his turkey promotion.
If you never saw it, I totally understand you would not get it.
What flavor is your street rod ?
Kindest Regards,
Rick.

·
Slingshot Rules!
62,106 Posts
WELCOME, Rick . . . from Southern Arizona.

My advice, "adopt" the best SSR you can find at the best price.

I adopted mine way back in July of 2005 with a mere 18 miles on the odometer and I plan to "take it with me."

! :cool: ! (n) ! :cool: ! (n) ! :cool: !

1 - 20 of 33 Posts