Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all.... just getting the lay of the land here. I am a new owner of a 2006 3S with around 9K miles.. found it at a Kia dealer taken as a trade-in! I caught it early...fantastic shape.... even the undercarriage was pristine but had to replace the nearly 17 year old tires for a minor fortune. My wife has a 2005 3S with around 19K miles... super condition and that is what drove me for my new adventure after selling .

I have had and built many hotrods, classics and muscle cars (a few airplanes too) thru the years.. as well as been a technical author for many printed and online media (you can google "hotrodsrj" for a few left over articles from the past online).. I just sold my 1 of 112 1969 GTO Pontiac Ram Air III Convertible (Liberty Blue with Parchment top/interior) which was the tipping point of my new SSR search.

I mainly love the more modern handling and comfort a use it as just a cruiser.... and of course the looks.. But my 69 GTO was an unbelievable looker! I cried when it left.... but gave me a chance to be here! Looking forward to learning anew!

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
140 Posts
Welcome to the family! Sit back and relax. The information and comraderie here is second to none. Enjoy your truck and permagrin!

Your 69 Goat sure was a beauty!

Glad to have you here

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Welcome aboard from the ‘Sooner’ state of Oklahoma. Enjoy your new ‘ride’. Lots of friendly Fanatics out there to help you when needed.

·
SSR Believer
3,623 Posts
👋 Hi Jack and welcome from the Pacific Northwest playground! Congratulations on your new adventure. Would be great to have some more photos of both your SSRs when you have time.

Love that GTO! I had a '72... one of the best cars I ever owned. Wish I had it now! ;)

As you've found, there's a huge community of owners here. You can find people in your area by checking out the Pin Map linked below. Otherwise there are folks from all over the world here that can help you find parts, troubleshoot issues and offer great support if and when you need it. You've probably found some, but here are a few links that you'll find invaluable:

SSR replacement, aftermarket parts and accessories, repair tips, DIY videos and solutions:

Fun for SSR Newbies:

Trouble shooting and DIY repairs from @Dicktator

SSR DIY and other videos from @rcg530:

Recommended SSR Upgrade List:

Chevy SSR Club

You can find other Fanatics and add your location to the SSR Pin Map:

Forum FAQ - finding your way around and how it all works

Enjoy your PermaGrin and don't be a stranger!

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
6,515 Posts
@hotrodsrj, interesting story/background. Being an Engineer, maybe you can get with the others that are trying to solve our RDM issues :giggle:. Also---Welcome from Forney Texas. Consider clicking on the Colored Letter/Picture, top far right corner, go down to "Account Settings", click, and fill in your information. Especially your LOCATION and the year of your SSR, like the rest of us. Then go the the left side and click on "Signature". Also put the year of your SSR in your "Signature", and anything else you want to show in your posts, and we can help you better if you have a problem. When you finish click the "SAVE" box.

Click here for the "How To Library" OneDrive

Also click on this link and go to Post #1 Help Us Help You---UPDATE

Click here for parts, help and tips--Simple Engineering, LLC – Chevy SSR Aftermarket Parts, Accessories and Repair Solutions

Owner Pinmap locate other owners and let them locate you

Nick & Kathy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmm....

\\\ - Welcome to you from Conroe, Texas!! So glad you could join us. ((Beautiful Goat, BTW)) - :love:
Thanks... a lot of my other car buds are in Canton and Garland TX.

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2004, lowered, custom paint
4,308 Posts
Helloooo from Cincinnati! Low mileage beauty for sure! It probably still has stock fan so that would be high on my priority list of things to do! Enjoy the ride!

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
5,708 Posts
Welcome to the Fanatic Family!
A beautiful GTO you had and just the right color to as I am one of the "Blues Brothers" with a Pacific Blue 6 speed truck. Look forward to meeting you perhaps at our 2023 International Rally in Flagstaff, AZ.

In the mean time, check out some of those links already shared with you and enjoy your PermaGrin! 😁 💙

Reactions: soren703 and nj6969

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
30,363 Posts
Hello to all.... just getting the lay of the land here. I am a new owner of a 2006 3S with around 9K miles.. found it at a Kia dealer taken as a trade-in! I caught it early...fantastic shape.... even the undercarriage was pristine but had to replace the nearly 17 year old tires for a minor fortune. My wife has a 2005 3S with around 19K miles... super condition and that is what drove me for my new adventure after selling .
Welcome from our Family to your Family.
So the questions that come to mind are, Is your wife also a member here, and will you be driving two SSRs to events like the 2023 International Rally in Flagstaff?

Reactions: nj6969

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
6,515 Posts
Welcome to the Fanatic Family! Looks like Texas is gaining yet another great member to it's ranks! I'm tagging Frank @Dinerman for you. He is the primary organizer of the Texas Gang! 😉
A beautiful GTO you had and just the right color to as I am one of the "Blues Brothers" with a Pacific Blue 6 speed truck. Look forward to meeting you perhaps at our 2023 International Rally in Flagstaff, AZ.

In the mean time, check out some of those links already shared with you and enjoy your PermaGrin! 😁 💙
In another thread, What are you running?, he, @hotrodsrj, said he lives in Georgia. That's why it would be helpful to have folks complete their profile :cool:

Nick

Reactions: HUAW

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
5,708 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Helloooo from Cincinnati! Low mileage beauty for sure! It probably still has stock fan so that would be high on my priority list of things to do! Enjoy the ride!
I've read about the stock fan issue. I am going to look into that... have built my own streetrod cooling systems with all kinds of electric fans. Derale makes some of the best fans available and are producing more CFMs per watt than many others. I do understand that there is a "footprint" replacement however. Straight-blade fans are the most noisy and least efficient however... we'll see when I get there I guess. Also, while I am on this subject... what amperage rating is the fan relay in the stock ones now..... anyone know? Usually fan relays can be questionable too.

Reactions: Firetruck

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
30,363 Posts
I've read about the stock fan issue. I am going to look into that... have built my own streetrod cooling systems with all kinds of electric fans. Derale makes some of the best fans available and are producing more CFMs per watt than many others. I do understand that there is a "footprint" replacement however. Straight-blade fans are the most noisy and least efficient however... we'll see when I get there I guess. Also, while I am on this subject... what amperage rating is the fan relay in the stock ones now..... anyone know? Usually fan relays can be questionable too.
Sounds like a question for @Mike in AZ

·
SSR Believer
3,623 Posts
No need to reinvent the wheel. No one makes better replacement fans than Simple Engineering IMHO. They are almost silent. Either of these will drop right in and you can move on to other adventures.

Most have this one:

We and some others here have this Corvette Z-06 fan from SE:

We also have this "pusher" fan. It is a bit noisy, but if it's running, you know it's needed and that it's working. If you really need additional cooling:

Two other mods are recommended as well, the lower radiator support and the replacement air dam:

The gentleman that engineered all of those products, Mike Moro, conducts training seminars on SSR cooling systems. Everything you'd want to know can be found here (look for "Cooling System SSR Briefing"):

Hope that helps!

Our SSR sat in stalled and stop-and-go traffic while the temps were well over 100 degrees for several hours last month. We have all of SE's cooling system parts and pieces. The temp never went over 210 the entire time. Everything worked perfectly. More here:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the info folks... will definitely look into it! (y)

Reactions: richsadams
1 - 20 of 26 Posts