Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy! I am so proud to find this site! Like all of you, I am proud to own an SSR. Mine is Redline Red with the 1SB package. I am thinking of adding running boards later. I am a retired car nut in East Texas. Got my SSR from a friend who is a Chevy dealer. He sold it to me under sticker. Ever hear of anyone else getting one less than sticker? So far I haven't. Love cars and have my own body shop with two part time employees. Do some restoration for my self and others. Also do some repair work. Became a Zaino distributor about 3 years ago. Without a doubt it is the best! Currently own several toys and am looking for more! (Very understanding wife, lol) Anyone know what Chevrolet's production run will be? I heard under 10,000. I love the car, but there is not enough acceleration for $45,000 in my opinion. Looking forward to discussing and learning with you guys. So long, Don

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
one of the lucky

I got mine for about $2500.00 under sticker. Great dealer. Of course I walked in with a deposit check before they knew what a ssr was.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Welcome Zaino

Hey Zaino...welcome to the family!

My SSR is also a Redline w/o running boards...brother. You will enjoy scanning the other posts on this site for answers to some of your questions. I paid 1K under and you'll find several others that paid under, too. All kinds of arrangements, though. Some have long-standing relationships with their dealer and some bought way ahead even leaving money with the dealer so he could earn interest meanwhile.

Whatever you paid, if you own one of these sweet babies, you got a deal!

Acceleration? Another interesting topic discussed at length here. Seems it depends on what you compare it to. Know of another stock pickup truck that can beat it?

I got my Zaino startup kit last week and hope to have nice weather this weekend so I can polish my SSR. I've never done this, but posts on this site helped me get stocked up with the right stuff. Had a hard time finding the towels recommended and we didn't have blue Dawn, but my basket is full, now. Just waiting for sunshine. Any tips or pointers?

Have fun!!!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Got my Zaino today. The whole kit. I hope I can get rid of some the very small scratches I made when I used a car washes brush to get some mud off the car on the first day I got the car. I'm so mad at myself but Sal at Zaino said it will be gone if I Zaino. The scartches are only visibly if you are standing 6 inches from them so not very deep.

Lightening is one of the fastest cars (and trucks) on the planet...

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Using Zaino

COLOR=red]Hey, guys just remember ole Sal likes to sell this stuff since he no longer paints show cars! Lets make the differentation between swirl marks and scratches. If they are reallly scratches then you will have to use something with grit (ouch) in it to remove them. Zaino 5 will fill swirl marks after you get the scratches out! Without a doubt the best "scratch remover" is True Finish. Don't know if it is available locally in your area or not, but I can hook you up with a source in California. That is where I get mine. Presta is also a good product, but I had to switch over to True Finish after giving it a try. The dealer there is great to offer hands on advice. It is fairly expensive, just like 99% of the good things in life. Only salvation is free. One of the most often committed mistakes in using Zaino is using too much of the product. Be sure to moisten (soak) with water the cotton applicator paid before applying Zaino. I use a different pad for each application.[/COLOR]

R

·
0 Posts
Welcome, ZainoSSR,
from a fellow Zaino distributor and SSR Owner!
You'll find lots of great info here, I am sure.

·
Registered
705 Posts
These are not really scratches. The are very faint marks that were made by the bristles of the brush at the local self serve car wash bays (the type that you can actually wash your car by hand). I just blanked out and used it over parts of the car to get the mud off. You can actually achieve the same marks if you run your nail over the paint. Not really scratches but I don't know what to call them. When I explained it to Sal, he told me Z5 would take care of it. What do you think?

Also, I have to scratches (real ones) by the tail gate door. Please tell me how to use the product you recommended.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Try this.

I would try the Zaino on the "marks" because it can't hurt anything. Now the other two products that I mentioned to remove the scratches can rubbed on by hand if the area is small and I expect it is. A wet cloth with product applied and horizontal with the ground motions should take the scratches out. Then comes the Zaino. I recommend the True Finish because it is a "one step" product. The Presta comes in several different grits. Both are better than anything anybody else offers. Hope this helps. Don

·
Registered
705 Posts
any websire to get some info on True Finish? What company puts it out? Thnaks

·
Registered
705 Posts
Thanks.

Just finished laying a layer of Z5 on my SSR. I've been working on it for 5 hours. I know it's sick but I love this car. Started with Dawn wash and dry. Cay the whole car, washed with Z7 and dried. One coat of Z5+ ZFX drops, wiped off and put a second coat on. Will wipe off tomorrow, add a coat of Z2 and then Z6 the whole car. I'll post pictures once done.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Uh Oh!

Hey, don't use the Zaino car wash before applying the Z5! Did you decide to do this or did someone instruct you to do such? Don

·
Registered
705 Posts
The clay instructions says that if you plan to apply Z2 or Z5 right away after claying to wash the whole car with z7 again. Did I do something wrong?

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe it's ok

Never knew anyone to use the Zaino wash before Zzzing! I think that is a waste of the product. I want the Zaino put on over nothing! This is like making a BLT and putting the mayo over the bacon. Guess it is ok, but I don't intend to do it. Zaino car wash is made to enhance the Zaino already on the vehicle. I don't use it except when washing a vehicle already treated with Zaino. Now, don't get me wrong; Zaino car wash will make a car with no Zaino look better. If you don' t believe me, just try it. Anyway Zaino put on any which way is better than the other "stuffs." Don

·
Registered
705 Posts
I just finished. 2 coats of Z5 and a coat of Z2. Wiped down with Z6. The car looks amazing. I can see the reflection of the building across the street. I love the stuff.

Don, I doubt Z7 car wash is anything special. I think it's just a mild formulation of Dawn. Zaino says that Dawn is a basic solution and they don't recommend using it all the time since it will dissolve any treatment you have put on your car. My guess is that Z7 is just a neutral detergent. That's why I don't think putting Z5 or Z2 on top of Z7 makes any difference.

As soon as it gets sunny here, I will post pictures.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm sick, too

I had my first nice warm day to Zaino my Redline this weekend, too. Spent more than 5 hours on mine...know what you mean redssr. Maybe this is another symptom of SSRitis! I ran the battery down listening to 70s rock CDs while I clayed, polished and buffed it. Neighbors had to come over and see this baby, so I was slowed a little. Reminded me of being 17 and waxing my 69 Camaro till she sparkled before a big date. It was a lot of work, but well worth it...Truth be known, I enjoyed every minute of it. Did find a few spots that need attention, though (small chip in front and rub marks on the top).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts