Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 1SB, RED, 30,000 miles, one owner car, perfect car fax report.
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to buy parts for my 2004 SSR here and I can't find any place to do so! I need pneumatic roof struts and driver side door lock relay. Don't have a clue what to do next. A for days ago I seen something from the guy called something like dictator who has parts. Can anyone show me how to get a hold of him (only a member for 3 days) so I'm lost on this website! THANK YOU, Richard.

·
Registered
2006 Pacific Blue
123 Posts
I'm trying to buy parts for my 2004 SSR here and I can't find any place to do so! I need pneumatic roof struts and driver side door lock relay. Don't have a clue what to do next. A for days ago I seen something from the guy called something like dictator who has parts. Can anyone show me how to get a hold of him (only a member for 3 days) so I'm lost on this website! THANK YOU, Richard.
c
Contact Mike at simpleengineering.com for your parts needs.

·
Premium Member
7,540 Posts
@Dickydo7172 Contact Mike at Simple Engineering for the roof struts. For the door lock assembly contact @Dragon2U he can repair the door lock for you. @Dicktator is traveling now and won't be home for a while. Those two can get you taken care of.
Top Roof Cylinders can be rebuilt by Zig in Florida if that's what you are referring to as "roof struts" Don't panic "Dickydo" HELP is on the way ... sit back and relax. Oh, by the way where in the hell do you live ??? We need info, we are nosey ass SSRfanantics. :D :D :D :D :D 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

·
SSR Believer
2,128 Posts
👋 Hi Richard from another Richard and welcome from the Northwest's playground! That Redline Red is a beauty!

As you're finding out, there's a huge community of owners here that can help you find parts, troubleshoot issues and otherwise offer great support. There are a number of folks right in your own backyard that can offer assistance so help is on the way.

In the meantime, here are a few links that you'll find invaluable:

SSR replacement, aftermarket parts and accessories, repair tips, DIY videos and solutions from @Mike in AZ:

Trouble shooting and DIY repairs from @Dicktator

SSR DIY and other videos from @shiftz33:

You can find other Fanatics and add your location to the SSR Pin Map:

Forum FAQ - finding your way around and how it all works

Enjoy your PermaGrin and don't be a stranger!

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,471 Posts
@Dickydo7172 .
Drivers side door lock relay??

There is one 5 pin lock relay used for both doors in rear fuse box(behind passenger seat) the SSR (and other GM models) use a seperate 5 pin relays for unlock. This is done because the first press of unlock button on key fob is designed to only unlock drivers door. You have to press the unlock button again to unlock passenger side. But current still feeds through these relays to lock the doors when not energized. Rare one fails that way but it has happened to a member I helped a few years back.

The passenger unlock relay is is in rear fuse box, the drivers door unlock relay is located in the relay box next to the cover for the RDM in the roof storage compartment.

I saw your other post and have been busy, I had hoped to reply this evening.

You can switch the two unlock relays. But realize the passenger door lock may not do anything and the driver door lock may only unlock depending on if and how relay the failed.
That relay is not unique to SSR and should be available from a local auto parts store.

Advice, switch the two unlock relays. If things change on door lock operation for either door. Take the relay to the parts store for replacement. If they can't find one, post here and I will find a replacement application.

If symptoms don't change suspect wiring or door lock motor.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info! I found the door lock relay information in the owners manual so that shouldn’t be a problem to replace, now the top struts is the next problem it’s not all the little eight hydraulic cylinders it’s the two hydraulic struts that slow the top from falling down hard when it hits the bottom. Of course I have been discontinued but Unbelievably I found some after about four hours and found some on Amazon, they measure the same distance and same size and for the HHR with the same party number that’s on the original strut so hopefully that will solve my problem and they went only around $80 a pIr. and that Mike information
Did not work it wouldn’t go through a text or email, but thank you very much sure appreciate it, Richard

·
SSR Believer
2,128 Posts
Thanks for the info! I found the door lock relay information in the owners manual so that shouldn’t be a problem to replace, now the top struts is the next problem it’s not all the little eight hydraulic cylinders it’s the two hydraulic struts that slow the top from falling down hard when it hits the bottom. Of course I have been discontinued but Unbelievably I found some after about four hours and found some on Amazon, they measure the same distance and same size and for the HHR with the same party number that’s on the original strut so hopefully that will solve my problem and they went only around $80 a pIr. and that Mike information
Did not work it wouldn’t go through a text or email, but thank you very much sure appreciate it, Richard
Richard, the struts from Amazon are not the right ones and even if the measurements are correct you will not be able to replace them without compressing them and if they were the right pressure you could not physically compress them. Cancel your order if you can.

You'll want to buy them from @Mike in AZ - Simple Engineering. They are specifically made and designed, size, pressure, etc., for the SSR. They come compressed in an installation kit (which you return after you've installed them - return shipping label included). Installation instructions and DIY videos on Mike's website. Replaced ours recently and it made a world of difference. Stay away from the others.

You can discuss with Mike directly. All of his info is on his website.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well as I was doing my research I seen some comments and people kept saying they were too long, come to find out they thought they were struts for the rear cargo cover and not the top single struts, that slows the top from hitting bottom of well. they measure the same exact size as the ones I took out, they were just worn out so hopefully when I get them they should pop right on! Thanks

·
SSR Believer
2,128 Posts
Well as I was doing my research I seen some comments and people kept saying they were too long, come to find out they thought they were struts for the rear cargo cover and not the top single struts, that slows the top from hitting bottom of well. they measure the same exact size as the ones I took out, they were just worn out so hopefully when I get them they should pop right on! Thanks
Trust me, the ones you found on Amazon will not "pop right on". If they did they would not be the correct pressure. They are nothing like the hood or deck struts. The correct struts are very high pressure - 130lbs each. Visit this page on Mike's site for more info and watch the installation videos. Anything else can damage your hydraulic system and that can be very expensive.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I contacted Mike to see if he still has the items I need, waiting for a response. So I ordered both so hopefully Mike’s will be better, I can return the ones from Amazon. I can’t thank you enough, I’ve been searching for hours to try to figure this out, you guys are definitely great I’m a fellow car guy has a problem thank you again I’ll let you know how it works out, Richard

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got them ordered from simple engineering, great website thank all you guys so much for the help with my five day old Ted baby🚘

·
SSR Believer
2,128 Posts
I contacted Mike to see if he still has the items I need, waiting for a response. So I ordered both so hopefully Mike’s will be better, I can return the ones from Amazon. I can’t thank you enough, I’ve been searching for hours to try to figure this out, you guys are definitely great I’m a fellow car guy has a problem thank you again I’ll let you know how it works out, Richard
Good to hear and happy to help a fellow Fanatic. I'll never be able to repay all of the folks here that have and continue to help me!

FWIW I'm as big a bargain hunter as anyone, and there are other SSR parts and pieces out there but the convertible top struts are critical. Of course there's no guarantees that the hydraulics won't fail at some point, but a couple hundred vs a few thousand dollars is a bargain in my book. ;)

Mike's up to his rear in alligators (orders) right now with summer approaching and everyone working on their SSRs, so be patient, it'll be worth it.

BTW, we used to live in Scottsdale too. Miss it sometimes, but weather app says it's 105 today? 🥵 Just not right now. :LOL:

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good to hear and happy to help a fellow Fanatic. I'll never be able to repay all of the folks here that have and continue to help me!

FWIW I'm as big a bargain hunter as anyone, and there are other SSR parts and pieces out there but the convertible top struts are critical. Of course there's no guarantees that the hydraulics won't fail at some point, but a couple hundred vs a few thousand dollars is a bargain in my book. ;)

Mike's up to his rear in alligators (orders) right now with summer approaching and everyone working on their SSRs, so be patient, it'll be worth it.

BTW, we used to live in Scottsdale too. Miss it sometimes, but weather app says it's 105 today? 🥵 Just not right now. :LOL:
THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE!

·
SSR Believer
2,128 Posts
OH! I don't no if MIKE is the one from Simplengineering but that who I ordered from
Yes, that's Mike Moro (@Mike in AZ), the owner, operator and head chef at Simple Engineering. Mike isn't just a "middle man" selling parts. Mike's actually designed and engineered many of the parts he offers. He works closely with many folks here to get everything just right before he ever offers them to the public. Mike's one of the nation's SSR treasures here. ;) More about Mike:

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,471 Posts
@Dickydo7172

I found the thread from 2017 where this was the problem - If it doesn't fix yours there is some great trouble shooting stuff here.
Post #11 describes swapping relays

1 - 20 of 24 Posts