Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My horn stopped working from the steering column .....it works with the remote when I lock/unlock the truck....also works with panic button....does anybody out there have any hints as to the problem? Also a schematic of the horn circuit? I have checked the relay and the fuse and both are good .......thanks.....:blur::blur:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Horn button not working ---Help!!!

My horn button is not working and I need to get my truck inspected....The horn itself works when I hit the panic button and the lock/unlock button on the key fob but, the steering wheel button is not working. Any ideas? checked the fuses and relay (under the hood) associated with the horn and they are fine. Does anyone have a copy of the horn circuit and its connection points? It would be greatly appreciated......Thanks to all....:blur::blur:

To all the veterans out there....Thank you for your sacrifices from a fellow veteran.....

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Me TOO

I experienced the same problem this morning, and I remembered this thread, howver I was disappointed to find no solution to this issue. The most obvious cause is either the horn button switch or a break in the wiring. Any suggestions on how to diagnose further,

·
Slingshot Rules!
67,599 Posts
BUMMER no one responded to this thread / problem.

Not Doophus's horn but my '86 Jeep CJ-7's horn started acting goofy a few years ago and it turned out to be nothing but a little dirt and corrosion under the steering wheel button.

Good Luck

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I experienced the same problem this morning, and I remembered this thread, howver I was disappointed to find no solution to this issue. The most obvious cause is either the horn button switch or a break in the wiring. Any suggestions on how to diagnose further,
I fixed mine by reconnecting the horn wire harness. To do this remove the airbag, (no need to disconnect anything) then check that the spring loaded connection to the horn is secured/seated. Mine had popped out. I locked it back in and Voila....It worked again. To pop the airbag off, there are two small holes on the side of the steering wheel cover that you insert allen keys or 1/8 rods into to release the airbag........If you still have questions you can PM me and I will give you my phone number to call me......Hope yours is as simple as mine was......

:blur::blur:

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Sounds like a plan

I fixed mine by reconnecting the horn wire harness. To do this remove the airbag, (no need to disconnect anything) then check that the spring loaded connection to the horn is secured/seated. Mine had popped out. I locked it back in and Voila....It worked again. To pop the airbag off, there are two small holes on the side of the steering wheel cover that you insert allen keys or 1/8 rods into to release the airbag........If you still have questions you can PM me and I will give you my phone number to call me......Hope yours is as simple as mine was......

I finally found simiar info by trying different word combinations in the search engine
http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f4/honk-honk-11924/

Thanks hopefully I can carve out some time soon to work on this.

·
Clogger fan
36,695 Posts
I was driving behind Hells Angels and my horn was stuck.

Today is Test Your Horn Day.....

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,194 Posts

Thanks for this information. I did not know what to look for.

This will get tucked away on my fix list.

Dicktator

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Horn started working again

I cannot explain what happen in technical terms - What I did was just kept pushing along the edge in a circular pattern until something popped back into position and the horn started working again.

On Motor Week this week in Goss's Garage section they spoke of a clockspring ribbon connector that will frequency be an problem source for electrical issues in modern steering wheels.

Clock Springs & Airbags |MotorWeek

:purple:

·
Registered
522 Posts
I cannot explain what happen in technical terms - What I did was just kept pushing along the edge in a circular pattern until something popped back into position and the horn started working again.

I tried this the other day and danged if it didn't work. Easiest fix ever.
Big thanx to Bill Ligion. :liebe011: :liebe011: :liebe011: :liebe011:

·
Eat-Breathe-Sleep-SSR's
1,492 Posts
Horn not working

Thanks to Matman98 in Post#5. I followed the instructions and popped off the Air Bag...I disconnect the ground before attempting. This revealed the red wire with the plastic connector. I noticed one of the prongs was missing. I put it back in the hole anyway, and put the air bag back on, and voila, my horn works like a hot damn! First time the horn has worked in ages!
Thanks Matman98! See images below!
DSCF1101.jpg

DSCF1104.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had same problem with horn not working. Took your advice and starting pushing on the horn around perimeter and by the third or fourth push it worked.

Wish all problems we this easy.

Now I'm gluing the hood ornament back together after it broke while closing the hood. I checked the fuses first. Should have read this post first!!!

·
Registered
522 Posts

On Motor Week this week in Goss's Garage section they spoke of a clockspring ribbon connector that will frequency be an problem source for electrical issues in modern steering wheels.

Clock Springs & Airbags |MotorWeek

bump for dinerman, try the simple fix first.

·
Just a Canadian Fanatic!!
2004 SSR Ultra Violet
41,943 Posts
Our does this after sitting for a while, if I tilt the wheel all the way down, then all the way up fairly hard and back to “normal” position ..... it works, and works till it sits too long again!! I guess that’s its I have been sitting too long gauge!!!:wink2:

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt #11150
41,544 Posts
Our does this after sitting for a while, if I tilt the wheel all the way down, then all the way up fairly hard and back to “normal” position ..... it works, and works till it sits too long again!! I guess that’s its I have been sitting too long gauge!!!:wink2:
So my horn would only work when I turned the wheel to the right. I was going to take it apart this morning and I remembered your post about tilting the wheel up and down so before I took it apart I tried it and now the horn works fine ????????? :grin2: :banana:cheer::banana:cheer::banana

·
Just a Canadian Fanatic!!
2004 SSR Ultra Violet
41,943 Posts
So my horn would only work when I turned the wheel to the right. I was going to take it apart this morning and I remembered your post about tilting the wheel up and down so before I took it apart I tried it and now the horn works fine ????????? :grin2: :banana:cheer::banana:cheer::banana
I know .... weird huh???? Apparently it’s a “ive been sitting too long thing” perhaps our trucks came off the line near each other???:wink2:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts