Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
One Owner Club
2005 Yellow 6-speed
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday afternoon I met my wife at the local tire and auto shop for an alignment and when we went to leave my truck would not start.

I cranked over very fast but would not start. It almost seems like it was flooded. Not knowing what else to do I changed the ignition switch and it did not help.

I will be going back this morning to see if it will start when cold. If not I think I should have it towed home.
They said they can check it out @ $95 bucks per hour.
Needless to say I didn't sleep much last night.
I've been searching the site for hours to try and figure out where to start.

My wife asked me how will I figure it out and I told her that I would have the help of all my "fantastic fanatic friends"

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,294 Posts
Just think how much money you saved because the average shop probably would not have know what to look for on that wire in the fuse block being the problem. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,612 Posts
Sounds like a good guess. If you could make/borrow the "Fuse box jumper wire" you would know for sure.

Nick

·
Registered
2006 Ricochet Silver B.O.D. 12/06/2005
91 Posts
Since there have been quite a few postings on the Hot Start Problem. For less than $6.00 I now carry a TEMPORARY Emergency fuse box jumper. Seems like an easy and cheap TEMPORARY solution to a possible embarrassing moment.

Ed Borland has provided an excellent document on the Emergency Fuse Box Jumper!

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx...884&parId=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853&app=PowerPoint

I purchased the 2 fuse connectors from eBay. Had no issues with the China purchase and shipping. For a few more dollars, I'm certain you could get the fuse circuit jumper from a local auto parts store.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ADD-A-CIRC...m=322460583110&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Sure hope I never have to use the jumper for my 06, but if so I'll have one in the glove box.

·
One Owner Club
2005 Yellow 6-speed
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all replies! I'm thinking that it might be smart to go into the fuse box, clean it up nice and replace the wire even if it isn't broken?

But the jumper sounds like a must have item for sure! I'll do a bunch more reading on the site and onedrive.

My check engine light has been on, code for evap system. I am going to replace vent and purge valves to start with for that. I wondered if that had somehow flooded the engine but probably not.

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
There was a lot of discussion on this with another fanatic.
I provided some information on how to test for voltage (or test light) at the proper fuses when the problem was occurring.See posts 3 and 4. If no voltage at the fuses mentioned in these posts when problem is occurring - suspect fuse box.
This is what ultimately repaired this SSR. (post #29)

https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/hot-no-start-244109/

·
One Owner Club
2005 Yellow 6-speed
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There was a lot of discussion on this with another fanatic.
I provided some information on how to test for voltage (or test light) at the proper fuses when the problem was occurring.See posts 3 and 4. If no voltage at the fuses mentioned in these posts when problem is occurring - suspect fuse box.
This is what ultimately repaired this SSR. (post #29)

https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/hot-no-start-244109/
Thanks, I had been reading that. Great info!!

·
One Owner Club
2005 Yellow 6-speed
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sure enough! You can really see it with lighted magnifying scope. You can definitely see that it was twisted in the middle of the bend even in the picture!

This may have been the cause of my problem, if not it was going to be.

EVERYONE NEEDS TO FIX THIS!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
The start circuit is separate from the engine power circuit.
The Engine gets power from the Engine 42 relay.
The Starter gets power from the 43 relay
With the Underhood Fuse Box wire open circuited, the 42 relay is not energized and the engine will not RUN , BUT the Starter will operate.

·
One Owner Club
2005 Yellow 6-speed
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The start circuit is separate from the engine power circuit.
The Engine gets power from the Engine 42 relay.
The Starter gets power from the 43 relay
With the Underhood Fuse Box wire open circuited, the 42 relay is not energized and the engine will not RUN , BUT the Starter will operate.
That is what happened, engine would crank very fast but not start. I'd say it turns faster without any spark.
It also kept cranking when I would let go of the key. Even after a brand new switch

I just got the new wire installed. Old one came out in 2 pieces

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,284 Posts
...... It also kept cranking when I would let go of the key. Even after a brand new switch.......
That is exactly what it is supposed to do, starter is controlled by ECM, not key. It will crank until the ECM determines the engine started or until the time-out limit is reached.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,947 Posts
Not everyone needs to fix this, because not everyone has the problem, you do and many have.

We tried Vin# tracking, Month of Build, Year etc., no rime or reason. It is only on 05/06 SSR.

SO, you may have this problem which we have been repairing sense 2007.

Plastic Fuse box heats to engine compartment temperature, which expands fuse box, "pulling" broken wire apart!

Engine STOPS!

Cool down, will restart, MOST of the time.

How to Library: https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853&cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5

Dicktator

·
One Owner Club
2005 Yellow 6-speed
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Running fine again ?

All I was saying was after I had been reading more and more about the problem it was on my list of pro active things to do and I waited too long. Lucky I was in a safe place, parked!

I'm thinking that it is a ticking time bomb for all 05-06, just my opinion.

That said, carry a jumper or do one of the repairs for piece of mind. Wish I had!
I was belly sick when it didn't start!

Changed the Evap purge valves. No more check engine light. Now I have a couple more things to do to my baby.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,947 Posts
Running fine again ?

All I was saying was after I had been reading more and more about the problem it was on my list of pro active things to do and I waited too long. Lucky I was in a safe place, parked!

I'm thinking that it is a ticking time bomb for all 05-06, just my opinion.

That said, carry a jumper or do one of the repairs for piece of mind. Wish I had!
I was belly sick when it didn't start!

Changed the Evap purge valves. No more check engine light. Now I have a couple more things to do to my baby.
Okay! Got that one fixed! Have you changed Clutch yet? That will be your next project.

Dicktator

1 - 20 of 20 Posts