Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I am away from my Florida home for work in Missouri. I have my SSR with me and am experiencing a new problem (at least I can't find any similar issue on the forum). About 2 days ago the door locks on my SSR began "UNLOCK-LOCK'ing" themselves on their own while the SSR is in motion. It was a only a couple of times that first day. Yesterday it started doing the same thing, door locks cycle UP-then-DOWN while driving, but doing it more often ... about once or twice every 30 minutes or so. TODAY ... THE DOOR LOCKS WENT CRAZY and cycled UP-DOWN UP-DOWN about 15 times in rapid succession ... THEN ... I got a lightshow on the dash! The ABS light, the BRAKE light, and the Traction Control Light illuminated steady and would not clear. I also got the "SERVICE BRAKE SYSTEM" text warning on the DIC. I stopped the car, shut it down and restarted, and everything cleared ... at least for the next three minutes ... and then the door locks began cycling UP-DOWN again. When this is occurring, the little indicator on the DIC that shows the transmission setting (P-R-N-D-2-3) would move from "D" to "P" and back again; and the TACH needle AND Speedo needle would drop then return to normal indication. The engine is also hesitating when this is happening ... seeming to lose power then regaining power. It stumbled once during the door lock cycling. I then got the dash lightshow again with the ABS/BRAKES/Traction lights illuminated and steady. I am searching the forum but need some HELP with this as I am relying on this truck working while I'm away from home. Any assistance or recommendation is greatly appreciated.
Cheers, Carl

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,755 Posts
Hi Carl search under the roof module and see if that also has anything to do with your problem. Where are you at in Missouri? If it is the roof module I think the 0506 is different from the 0304s.

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Could that tie into the engine compartment fuse block issue? I know the R will just drop dead if that jumper goes bad but it also sounds like a poor connection as well.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,887 Posts
I can't ever find anything searching on here but seems someone was having the same symptoms not too long ago. Seems it was the Switch??

Nick

·
SSR Pit Crew
13,173 Posts
Carl, Do you have ignition switch with you??

ACDelco D1426D, start there. Everything goes thru ignition switch!

Battery new or OK?

Ground at ECM?

Call me.

Dicktator

·
Premium Member
2006 Automatic
902 Posts
Yes, I would suggest that you start with a new ignition switch.

It is a cheep and easy replacement and it confirms or denies it was or is the problem!

Good Luck!

·
Tech Support/Research
1,740 Posts
Door Locks

Carl:

Since this is happening while the vehicle is in motion, one of the first and least invasive items to check for is loose or poor connections. That would include checking that harness connector plugs are tight and the ground connections at the upper firewall and the one at the chassis under the driver's seat are tight and free of corrosion. The insulation on the wiring from the locks as they pass through looms at or near the doors could be broken or stressed from repetitive opening/closing motion and providing an intermittent or low voltage connection. The latter was an issue for me on a different truck I owned. Also, if you have access to a GM Tech 2 scanner you can check for body-related diagnostic trouble codes.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
This same thing happed to me on my way to the international rally last year, all the same symtums as you noted. I found that when you started loosing power you could shift out of overdrive to 3rd gear and move on down the road. Note that your truck is still possessed with doors unlocking/locking, speedo and tact from zero to normal and the drive indicator trying to figure out what gear your in. Fix is a new TCM - Transmision Control Module, common GM part that can be bought at any GM dealer but has to be programmed to work in our truck. Cost was about 300 bucks and all the demond’s were gone.
Good luck
Terry

·
Premium Member
2003 Chevy SSR, Customized
594 Posts
Usually when there are multiple issues with the controls - the IGNITION SWITCH has a burnt contact that is reducing the voltage to the control Modules.
I suggest you change out the ignition switch first.

·
Premium Member
7,434 Posts
This same thing happed to me on my way to the international rally last year, all the same symtums as you noted. I found that when you started loosing power you could shift out of overdrive to 3rd gear and move on down the road. Note that your truck is still possessed with doors unlocking/locking, speedo and tact from zero to normal and the drive indicator trying to figure out what gear your in. Fix is a new TCM - Transmision Control Module, common GM part that can be bought at any GM dealer but has to be programmed to work in our truck. Cost was about 300 bucks and all the demond’s were gone.
Good luck
Terry
Excellent post "T" same thing happened to me/us on a cruise one Saturday, same "symptoms" and same "fix" and ... it was the TCM (Transmission Control Module).

tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To ALL,

Thank you for the responses, I have a few routes to take that, hopefully, will cure the problem. I was believing that I had the Fuse-Box-Broken-Wire issue. I need to read up on the TCM on this forum to become more familiar with how that thing fails.

I will start with changing out the IGNITION SWITCH and performing the FUSE BOX JUMPER-WIRE QUICK REPAIR. These are the least costly and most easily conducted repairs.

If these do not fix the issue, I will then purchase the Transmission Control Module (TCM) and replace it.

QUESTION: If the TCM is easily purchased, but must be programmed at a GM Dealer, I assume that the GM dealer will require I purchase the part from them to have the part replaced and programmed by them? Also, if I purchase and replace the TCM myself, I won't be able to drive to the dealer for programming ... Correct?

Dicktator, yes, Battery is NEW; Alternator is NEW; I have checked all grounds at least twice in the past year; I will call you within the hour! Thank you.

Cheers, Carl

·
SSR Pit Crew
13,173 Posts
Ok, some information to share.

03/04 does not have separate TCM (Transmission Control Module)it is part of PCM (Power Control Module).

05/06 has separate TCM (Transmission Control Module) mounted on same bracket as ECM (Engine Control Module) and HAS to be flashed/programed by Dealer.

That said, I described symptoms to Andy ASE/AMP Automotive and he said "Definitely" TCM.

I would still try ignition switch first.

Dicktator

1. TCM mounted next to ECM
2. TCM removed, plugs in
3. Both TCM and ECM mounted on bracket, front of fuse box/windshield washer tank, drivers side.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I believe you're right Carl. Todd's Complete Auto Care purchased my TCM at the dealership and had it programed there also. tennesseecozydog :ssr
TCD, ... just to clarify my understanding of your response ... is it possible to purchase the TCM from the Dealership and have it flashed for the SSR BEFORE it is installed?

Basically, I am asking if it possible to purchase a TCM, "pre-flashed" by the dealer, that I may install myself?. The Chevy Service Centers are NOT open on weekends, which means my missing work on a weekday to get the truck to the dealership for TCM install. Missing work is a BIG DEAL for me; puts a LOT of other people behind schedule if I miss a day. If I can go to the dealer and buy a TCM that is "pre-flashed" for the SSR, then I can install at my convenience.

I really appreciate all the help so far. I am confident that I understand the problem ... but it seems the bigger problem is getting it properly fixed on a WEEKEND! YIKES!

Cheers, Carl

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,755 Posts
Carl Jim Butler Chevrolet down south in Fenton is open today till 4:30 they are just down 270 to highway 30 (Gravois road) take highway 30 south to highway 141 east to the second stop light by the Lowes store turn right and you can't miss them on the right side of the road. If you need a ride call me. I sent my number in my pm earlier.

·
Premium Member
7,434 Posts
TCD, ... just to clarify my understanding of your response ... is it possible to purchase the TCM from the Dealership and have it flashed for the SSR BEFORE it is installed?

Basically, I am asking if it possible to purchase a TCM, "pre-flashed" by the dealer, that I may install myself?. The Chevy Service Centers are NOT open on weekends, which means my missing work on a weekday to get the truck to the dealership for TCM install. Missing work is a BIG DEAL for me; puts a LOT of other people behind schedule if I miss a day. If I can go to the dealer and buy a TCM that is "pre-flashed" for the SSR, then I can install at my convenience.

I really appreciate all the help so far. I am confident that I understand the problem ... but it seems the bigger problem is getting it properly fixed on a WEEKEND! YIKES!

Cheers, Carl
"pre-flashed TCM ??? that I do not know. I have to trust my SSR to the man that know's the car ... Todd Hayes @ Todd's Complete Auto Care. t-dog :ssr

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"pre-flashed TCM ??? that I do not know. I have to trust my SSR to the man that know's the car ... Todd Hayes @ Todd's Complete Auto Care. t-dog :ssr
TCD, I meant: can I go to the Chevy dealer and purchase a TCM that they "FLASH" for the SSR while it is OFF the vehicle?; and then I can install the "pre-flashed" TCM onto my truck? From your post it seemed that Todd's purchased a TCM that was FLASHED at the dealership and then Todd's installed it onto your truck without having to take the truck to the Chevy dealer.
Do you know if that is what Todd did? or did Todd take your truck to the dealership to purchase, install and flash the TCM?
Cheers, Carl

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,449 Posts
Dealers should be able to program outside of vehicle. If not, there are some TCM modules on EBay that come programmed for around $65-90.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts