Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Registered
SSR 2003---black
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought SSR 2003 and have very limited knowledge other than the vehicle book----the roof will not retract--nothing happens---I get info that cargo ajar---checked to see if everything is in place and can't determine where the issue is----the SSR sat in a garage for over 1 year so I may have other issues as well. Live in Whitney, Tx and love the SSR so hope I can resolve this problem--help and thanks---BillT

Registered
2005 yellow over black. 馃槑
Welcome. I鈥檓 sure the Texas gang can get you going. Your on the web site so go to the technical section and look for Dictators One Drive. Sounds like it might be a stuck micro switch in the back left of the truck. It鈥檚 telling the car that the truck bed cover is not shut. Good luck and keep us informed. 馃殫 馃槑

One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 9/2106 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
Welcome @BillT , I see that you have learned how to start your own thread. You will the Texas SSR family is very friendly and I am sure @Dinerman will be along shorty to get you into the circle and see if they can help you get your truck on the road with the PermaGrin the rest of us enjoy.
As mentioned above Dicktator's One Drive contains a wealth of information that will help you get started on learning the important things regarding the care and feeding of you SSR. You might want to bookmark it.

Reactions: soren703 and HUAW

Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
@BillT, Welcome from Forney Texas--you're doing good, keep at it. On your "cargo ajar"-- the bed cover needs to be latched good. You know to close it first then the tailgate. The tailgate needs to be open when you close the bed cover. Cover down THEN tailgate up/closed. Others will give more info.

Nick

Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
You might have a roof compartment stuck to the seals. What all does it do and in what order? Engine running foot on the brake and you push the top down button what happens next?

Premium Member
Bill, also on the left side of the bed just in front of the tailgate it the "Emergency Release" T shape handle. Check that it, the cable, is all the way into the housing. Just push it up into the housing.

Nick

Premium Member
@BillT, Welcome from Forney Texas--you're doing good, keep at it. On your top--you know to close it properly the tailgate needs to be open. Cover down THEN tailgate up/closed. Others will give more info.

Nick
Never heard that before ... " On your top--you know to close it properly, the tailgate needs to be open" My tailgate has never been open when I run the top down or run the top back up. I think you are confused ... BillT is talking about his Roof Top not his Cargo Lid. What the hell has the tailgate got to do with the Roof Top not going down. or up ??? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Registered
Never heard that before ... " On your top--you know to close it properly, the tailgate needs to be open" My tailgate has never been open when I run the top down or run the top back up. I think you are confused ... BillT is talking about his Roof Top not his Cargo Lid. What the hell has the tailgate got to do with the Roof Top not going down. or up ??? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
If not shut properly, the truck thinks it鈥檚 still open. Very hard to shut with the tailgate up. 馃槑

Premium Member
I gotcha' !!! Actually when I had my Roof Cylinders out for repair, my Cargo Lid would not open. Now it opens perfectly since my Roof Cylinders have been rebuilt and reinstalled. 馃嚭馃嚫 馃嚭馃嚫 馃嚭馃嚫 馃嚭馃嚫 馃嚭馃嚫 (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

Premium Member
Bob, thanks, I corrected it. @Groceryman101 knew what I meant BUT I'm sure @BillT did not.

Nick

Registered
Looking back at the first post, he does say he鈥檚 getting a cargo ajar message. So I鈥檓 thinking stuck micro switch or lid not properly shut. Nick is right too about the emergency release handle. Sometimes it stays kinked and doesn鈥檛 go all the way back in. That will give you the same display. 馃槑

Registered
SSR 2003---black
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@BillT, Welcome from Forney Texas--you're doing good, keep at it. On your "cargo ajar"-- the bed cover needs to be latched good. You know to close it first then the tailgate. The tailgate needs to be open when you close the bed cover. Cover down THEN tailgate up/closed. Others will give more info.

Nick
Nick---you were right the cover was not locked so now when I push the button the windows come down and I get this---roof cycle timeout---so still have issues---where do I go next??? Will look at the library for answers---thanks for your help!!!!! BillT

Registered
Nick---you were right the cover was not locked so now when I push the button the windows come down and I get this---roof cycle timeout---so still have issues---where do I go next??? Will look at the library for answers---thanks for your help!!!!! BillT
If it takes to long for the roof to go up or down, you will get the timeout message. You can push the left top button on the steering wheel to clear it then you can try your roof again. I suggest only doing that a couple of times so you don鈥檛 overheat the pump ( if the pump is working ) let us know what it is doing. Does it unlatch from the top of the windshield, does it move down at all, do you hear the pump coming on. It may just need to be exercised as we say, meaning the seals are sticking together ( the black rubber between the roof pieces and top of the windshield ) and the hinges are tight from lack of use. All of these are covered on the one drive. Good luck and keep us informed. You鈥檒l get there. 馃槑

Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
When I got my 04 it was winter time so the top had not been lowered in a while. I had to get out and raise up on each side of the roof compartment lid cover to loosen it from the seals. Once I did that it went down like it should. I later lubricated the rubber seals and have not had a problem sense then

Registered
SSR 2003---black
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When I got my 04 it was winter time so the top had not been lowered in a while. I had to get out and raise up on each side of the roof compartment lid cover to loosen it from the seals. Once I did that it went down like it should. I later lubricated the rubber seals and have not had a problem sense then
I will try this because SSR sat for over a year in a garage but not used---when I try to lower the roof I can hear the pump cylinder tying to unlock but nothing happens---the windows went half way down but that is it----will go and see if I can break the seals now---thanks---BillT

1 - 20 of 34 Posts