Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
SSR 2003---black
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I will try this because SSR sat for over a year in a garage but not used---when I try to lower the roof I can hear the pump cylinder tying to unlock but nothing happens---the windows went half way down but that is it----will go and see if I can break the seals now---thanks---BillT
I tried to lift each side but still nothing moves however the pump is trying so what do I need to do to break the seals???Do I run a screwdriver under the rubber or what---keep in mind I know little about these issues----thanks again for your help---BillT

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
5,032 Posts
Do I run a screwdriver under the rubber or what---keep in mind I know little about these issues----thanks again for your help---BillT
Don't use a screwdriver !! post the last 6 numbers of your vin., the early '03 had bad hinges that bent and bind.

Nick

·
BLU SSR
3,691 Posts
Two things:
1 - Don't run a screwdriver around the rubber, no need for that, the seals aren't stuck like glue and new seals can be hard to come by if you tear them.
2 - If you are lifting to help the cover to start, you will need help - you need to gently lift on both sides at the same time.
Others smarter than I will be along for further advice. Are you sure it is unlatching the cover?

·
Registered
SSR 2003---black
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Two things:
1 - Don't run a screwdriver around the rubber, no need for that, the seals aren't stuck like glue and new seals can be hard to come by if you tear them.
2 - If you are lifting to help the cover to start, you will need help - you need to gently lift on both sides at the same time.
Others smarter than I will be along for further advice. Are you sure it is unlatching the cover?
All I hear is the pump trying to work---no sound of ---hinge release. Tried to open by having wife push brake and release button while I push on each side but need another person to push the other side at same time---still trying my best effort!!!!! BillT No scewdriver used!!!!

·
Registered
SSR 2003---black
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
All I hear is the pump trying to work---no sound of ---hinge release. Tried to open by having wife push brake and release button while I push on each side but need another person to push the other side at same time---still trying my best effort!!!!! BillT No scewdriver used!!!!
102665 is last 6#'s of vin #--BillT

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,965 Posts
I would suggest getting a hold of @Dinerman he is in Texas and is very, very good with tops, repairs and what they should be doing and how to fix them when they aren't working.

·
BLU SSR
3,691 Posts
102665 is last 6#'s of vin #--BillT
I think all of the 2003's were subject to the hinge problem and some of the early 2004's but many have been changed so it is anybody's guess if your hinges are the problem - but got to get the cover to unlatch first.
I see you are not far south of Dallas/Ft. Worth so help should be near to get some eyes and hands on the problem. This will alert @Dinerman - Frank is the Texas leader so he should be along soon to put you in touch with some local knowledge.
You'll be in good hands!

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Hard to shut the cargo lid is what I mean. 😎
Especially if you’ve replaced the struts with new ones from Mike.
for a long time when I’d activate the cargo lid., it would just pop up about 3/4 of an inch enough to get a finger under the edge... when I installed the new “struts “it now goes all the way up. On its own which is really nice if your wife or you have your hands full and its RAINING or SNOWING ( I realize I’m probably the ONLY ONE who drives his truck under those conditions). But that HEAVY SNOW MAKES IT XTRA TOUGH ON YOUR WIFES FINGERNAILS ...Plus where it was previously harder to lift up all the way for some people... it is quite a bit harder to ACTUALLY CLOSE IT.
ALSO.. I read how the cargo lid was once a subject of discussion as to how they could program weather conditions (such as wet snow) into the opening process.”
AND ..I NO LONGER BLAME MY STRUTS...FOR THE LID OPENING JUST A LITTLE BIT ... and I LEARNED THIIS INFORMATION AT THE “TRIVIA FOR NEW MEMBERS”
post...that’s why I try to recommend that post for lots of New Members to check out...

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Just bought SSR 2003 and have very limited knowledge other than the vehicle book----the roof will not retract--nothing happens---I get info that cargo ajar---checked to see if everything is in place and can't determine where the issue is----the SSR sat in a garage for over 1 year so I may have other issues as well. Live in Whitney, Tx and love the SSR so hope I can resolve this problem--help and thanks---BillT
Welcome... I’m sure the dictators Library will help you as well as a WHOLE BUNCHA NICE BUNCHA PEOPLE WHO IM SURE WILL BE GETTING BACK TO YOU....
IF YOU GET A CHANCE OR GOT NOTHIN ELSE TO DO SOMETIME... GO TO THE NEW MEMBER‘S SSR TRIVIA POST
Youll be amazed at the number of interesting facts you can learn...fix your roof first though....

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 9/2106 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
28,914 Posts
I tried to lift each side but still nothing moves however the pump is trying so what do I need to do to break the seals???Do I run a screwdriver under the rubber or what---keep in mind I know little about these issues----thanks again for your help---BillT
You are close enough to many people in TX to wait a bit until you can get some help from those who are experienced. Don't do something that you will regret just because you are in a hurry. Get in touch with @Dinerman as has been mentioned before.

·
SSR Believer
1,990 Posts
Excellent advice from @BlueStreak (y)

My advice is whatever you do, do NOT force anything! That almost guarantees something will break. Don’t ask how I know. :cautious:

Either wait until you have clear marching orders or someone local can assist.

The good news is, it can get fixed.

My $.02 :)

·
Registered
SSR 2003---black
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
You are close enough to many people in TX to wait a bit until you can get some help from those who are experienced. Don't do something that you will regret just because you are in a hurry. Get in touch with @Dinerman as has been mentioned before.
I got in touch with Dinerman and gave him my issue and he asked for my information and hope we can get together---thanks for your help---Bill

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
5,032 Posts
I got in touch with Dinerman and gave him my issue and he asked for my information and hope we can get together---thanks for your help---Bill
Just curious--are you retired or are you tied down with a J O B ? :cool: Are you comfortable driving it to our DFW area?

Nick

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Excellent advice from @BlueStreak (y)

My advice is whatever you do, do NOT force anything! That almost guarantees something will break. Don’t ask how I know. :cautious:

Either wait until you have clear marching orders or someone local can assist.

The good news is, it can get fixed.

My $.02 :)
rich is right about waiting ... it takes a long time to rectify a mistake made when patience is the answer IN JUST A FEW DAYS NOW ,THERE HAVE BEEN SEVERAL ANSWERS offered to you to possibly help rectify SEVERAL THINGS ABOUT YOUR TRUCK , which, I’m sure have been driving you crazy thinking about how to fix them Having an SSR and not being able to display that “PERMAGRIN” while you drive it HAS TO BE A REAL DRAG." and then out of the blue comes a whole BUNCHA people with answers as well as questions for you in order to ZERO IN ON THE MOST LOGICAL REMEDY ...WHATEVER YOUR NEEDS DICTATE.TRY TO JUST GO WITH THE FLOW AND LISTEN TO THE FANATICS ... THEY ACTUALLY HATE TO SEE ANYONE NOT BEING ABLE TO FIX SOMETHIN...THE PEACE OF MIND THAT YOU RECOGNIZED LAST EVENING WHEN YOU SAW THAT YOUR WINDOWS HAD GOTTEN THE SIGNAL TO GO DOWN MEANT THAT THE NEXT THING GOIN’ Down was gonna be your top...true..?
having friends like these people sure will put your mind at ease ...just listen to what they suggest... cause they’ll never TELL YOU WHAT TO DO...but they will SUGGEST WHAT THEY DID ONCE WHEN THEY HAD A SIMILAR SITUATION....
HOW CAN YA BEAT THAT...? my 3 cents ...(y);)
H

21 - 34 of 34 Posts