Chevy SSR Forum banner

Help--New member

2K views 33 replies 12 participants last post by  Kenny "Cruise" 
#1 ·
Just bought SSR 2003 and have very limited knowledge other than the vehicle book----the roof will not retract--nothing happens---I get info that cargo ajar---checked to see if everything is in place and can't determine where the issue is----the SSR sat in a garage for over 1 year so I may have other issues as well. Live in Whitney, Tx and love the SSR so hope I can resolve this problem--help and thanks---BillT

#2 ·
Welcome. I’m sure the Texas gang can get you going. Your on the web site so go to the technical section and look for Dictators One Drive. Sounds like it might be a stuck micro switch in the back left of the truck. It’s telling the car that the truck bed cover is not shut. Good luck and keep us informed. 🚗 😎

#3 · (Edited)
Welcome @BillT , I see that you have learned how to start your own thread. You will the Texas SSR family is very friendly and I am sure @Dinerman will be along shorty to get you into the circle and see if they can help you get your truck on the road with the PermaGrin the rest of us enjoy.
As mentioned above Dicktator's One Drive contains a wealth of information that will help you get started on learning the important things regarding the care and feeding of you SSR. You might want to bookmark it.

Reactions: soren703 and HUAW
#4 · (Edited)
@BillT, Welcome from Forney Texas--you're doing good, keep at it. On your "cargo ajar"-- the bed cover needs to be latched good. You know to close it first then the tailgate. The tailgate needs to be open when you close the bed cover. Cover down THEN tailgate up/closed. Others will give more info.

Nick

#9 ·
@BillT, Welcome from Forney Texas--you're doing good, keep at it. On your top--you know to close it properly the tailgate needs to be open. Cover down THEN tailgate up/closed. Others will give more info.

Nick
Never heard that before ... " On your top--you know to close it properly, the tailgate needs to be open" My tailgate has never been open when I run the top down or run the top back up. I think you are confused ... BillT is talking about his Roof Top not his Cargo Lid. What the hell has the tailgate got to do with the Roof Top not going down. or up ??? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

#28 ·
Especially if you’ve replaced the struts with new ones from Mike.
for a long time when I’d activate the cargo lid., it would just pop up about 3/4 of an inch enough to get a finger under the edge... when I installed the new “struts “it now goes all the way up. On its own which is really nice if your wife or you have your hands full and its RAINING or SNOWING ( I realize I’m probably the ONLY ONE who drives his truck under those conditions). But that HEAVY SNOW MAKES IT XTRA TOUGH ON YOUR WIFES FINGERNAILS ...Plus where it was previously harder to lift up all the way for some people... it is quite a bit harder to ACTUALLY CLOSE IT.
ALSO.. I read how the cargo lid was once a subject of discussion as to how they could program weather conditions (such as wet snow) into the opening process.”
AND ..I NO LONGER BLAME MY STRUTS...FOR THE LID OPENING JUST A LITTLE BIT ... and I LEARNED THIIS INFORMATION AT THE “TRIVIA FOR NEW MEMBERS”
post...that’s why I try to recommend that post for lots of New Members to check out...

#20 ·
I will try this because SSR sat for over a year in a garage but not used---when I try to lower the roof I can hear the pump cylinder tying to unlock but nothing happens---the windows went half way down but that is it----will go and see if I can break the seals now---thanks---BillT

#23 ·
Two things:
1 - Don't run a screwdriver around the rubber, no need for that, the seals aren't stuck like glue and new seals can be hard to come by if you tear them.
2 - If you are lifting to help the cover to start, you will need help - you need to gently lift on both sides at the same time.
Others smarter than I will be along for further advice. Are you sure it is unlatching the cover?

#24 ·
All I hear is the pump trying to work---no sound of ---hinge release. Tried to open by having wife push brake and release button while I push on each side but need another person to push the other side at same time---still trying my best effort!!!!! BillT No scewdriver used!!!!

#34 ·
rich is right about waiting ... it takes a long time to rectify a mistake made when patience is the answer IN JUST A FEW DAYS NOW ,THERE HAVE BEEN SEVERAL ANSWERS offered to you to possibly help rectify SEVERAL THINGS ABOUT YOUR TRUCK , which, I’m sure have been driving you crazy thinking about how to fix them Having an SSR and not being able to display that “PERMAGRIN” while you drive it HAS TO BE A REAL DRAG." and then out of the blue comes a whole BUNCHA people with answers as well as questions for you in order to ZERO IN ON THE MOST LOGICAL REMEDY ...WHATEVER YOUR NEEDS DICTATE.TRY TO JUST GO WITH THE FLOW AND LISTEN TO THE FANATICS ... THEY ACTUALLY HATE TO SEE ANYONE NOT BEING ABLE TO FIX SOMETHIN...THE PEACE OF MIND THAT YOU RECOGNIZED LAST EVENING WHEN YOU SAW THAT YOUR WINDOWS HAD GOTTEN THE SIGNAL TO GO DOWN MEANT THAT THE NEXT THING GOIN’ Down was gonna be your top...true..?
having friends like these people sure will put your mind at ease ...just listen to what they suggest... cause they’ll never TELL YOU WHAT TO DO...but they will SUGGEST WHAT THEY DID ONCE WHEN THEY HAD A SIMILAR SITUATION....
HOW CAN YA BEAT THAT...? my 3 cents ...(y);)
H
You are close enough to many people in TX to wait a bit until you can get some help from those who are experienced. Don't do something that you will regret just because you are in a hurry. Get in touch with @Dinerman as has been mentioned before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.