Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning, folks.
Is there anyone on Oahu who knows their way around a SSR?
The discussions of roof hydraulics has me concerned.
Thanks in advance

·
BlueStreak
26,585 Posts
Good morning, folks.
Thanks in advance
Welcome!! Get your post count up so you can use PMs. Maybe someone will send you their contact information in a PM. You can receive but you cannot reply.
Good luck. You might want to post your neighborhood. I know there are a few on the island.

You can always ask here and maybe someone can help you out with pictures and there is always Dicktator's One Drive which is full of information.

Meanwhile you can always give us a bit more information about you and your truck here in another post in this thread.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,305 Posts
Good morning, folks.
Thanks in advance
Don't let the open discussions of roof problems scare you. This is the place where we share experiences and troubleshooting with each other in order to spread the information as far as we can.

Generally speaking, the roof system is highly reliable. The failure modes are limited and the solutions are known. I think the system was designed for a HUGE amount of trouble-free operation. They did good.......

If, on the off chance you have a problem, you need some troubleshooting..... there are several of us that can guide any reasonably competent technician through the repair of almost anything. Besides..... Dictator's library of repairs covers a lot of possible failure modes.

Put the top down and enjoy the ride,

Mike

·
Super Moderator
13,585 Posts
I married one woman twice, possibly this trip to Maui is why I was limited to just 2 as I really loved this woman and was content with her - I guess it was not mutual
At the time I had a "new" 92 Pathfinder and that is what I wound up with as a rental
I insisted on having a top-down Jeep - got my wish but it rained for 14 days straight! HaHa!
I loved driving it but she also wound up with a paba resistance and was a mess - not a holiday to remember but somehow it sticks in my mind
I was ankles deep every day, but it was warm water

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,549 Posts
If your worry is limited to what MAY happen, read up here on preventive measures such as lubrication of hinges and switches in addition to protecting vulnerable wires and cables from damage. What's the saying? An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure (or something like that).

Dave

·
Daily Driver
8,776 Posts
Or you could be like me. Bought it new in '05, push the button it goes down, push the button it goes up, thousands of times. Never oiled, greased, checked, diddled or fretted. Yeah yeah, I know, I've just jinxed myself, but 14 years of just push the button I believe to be more common than you would think reading this site.

Keep in mind this is THE place for SSR information, we've even got the Chevy dealers beat, just ask Dicktator how many dealers call him for information. Some owners are not aware of us, and many are but never post, partially because they tend to be older and a little internet shy. Then something acts funny and they post a question to which our brain trust (not me, the smart ones) will find the answer. When 3 or 4 people post the same problem it's easy to overlook the thousands of trucks that don't. The result is, it appears the SSR has all kinds of problems when it really doesn't.

I did have the pneumatic struts replaced as a preventative measure simply because I'm lazy and there were experienced people doing it at the Springfield Rally.
Enjoy the Permagrin. :cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am looking at a 2006 SSR that looks like it needs to have all eight hydraulic cylinders replaced. After 13 years, and 100000 miles, that seems reasonable. I am not a "handy" kind of guy. How much should I expect to pay my mechanic for this repair...just a ballpark figure. THANKS!

·
BAD BOW TIE
8,419 Posts
I am looking at a 2006 SSR that looks like it needs to have all eight hydraulic cylinders replaced. After 13 years, and 100000 miles, that seems reasonable. I am not a "handy" kind of guy. How much should I expect to pay my mechanic for this repair...just a ballpark figure. THANKS!
There are only a couple of places that do the cylinders. Just watching and reading on this forum it looks like the cost to rebuild the cylinders is about $1000 then add labor and incidentals. If you farm it all out I would say $2000 to $2500 should cover it. I think the turn around time on the cylinders is about a week. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,365 Posts
Bruce McCown, Welcome from Forney Texas!!! You will discover that you have found the BEST FORUM ever!----Consider going to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" something, it will show in the left column under your name, like the rest of us, and we will know where you are and what you drive, when you get one. Then if you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out.

And, if you decide on a "Lifetime or Premium" Membership, you will get more benefits and no ads!? and show appreciation for tips and help. Click "Get Premium" under the Red Banner, read and compare the Advantages!!

Nick & Kathy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
9 Participants
nj6969
Chevy SSR Forum
Chevy SSR Forum - where SSR fans discuss modifications, wheel & tire tech, performance and so much more!
Full Forum Listing