Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchaced an 04 ssr and am thinking of buying a hand held tuner to do upgrades to stock 5.3. Exaust has been upgraded and I am wandering if maybe previous owner may have already done some tuning. How can i tell if stock settings have been changed or will I have to buy the tuner to find out? APPRECIATE ANY HELP!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
You might want to do it on your own many here have in the past. I had my 04 done in April at Daytona rally by Jeremy Fastpromo he adjusted shift times as well as speed settings couldn't be happier picked up added speed and a little better gas mileage.
Fill out your profile so we know where you are so guys close to you might give you some feed back. Look for any rallies or get together where tuneups are being given in the future.

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2004, lowered, custom paint
2,670 Posts
Jeremy tuned my 04 @Maggie valley. Love it, love it! I would think you would need some knowledge on what to adjust with the handheld or maybe their intuitive enough to be useful. Jeremy has done so many of these he has it down to a science. All the guesswork is eliminated. Just one fanatics opinion...

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Don't do a handheld...have a professional tune it and you will be very happy. On a side note a cam and heads will really wake up the 5.3 especially if you already have true dual exhaust

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Here goes the debate...

If you have access to a good professional tuner, go that route.

However, if you are in a situation like mine where no pro tuner is in the area, a handheld unit does a good job. I have a superchips flashpac and I am very happy with it. It allows me to use pre-programmed tunes and to adjust various things to my liking. Is it as good as a pro tune? Probably not. But it is head and shoulders above the stock factory settings.

I'll duck for incoming now...

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,621 Posts
od mcginnis, Hang on you will get more opinions, meantime--Welcome from Forney Texas!!! You will discover that you have found the BEST FORUM ever! -----Consider going to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" something it will show in the left column under your name, like the rest of us, and we will know where you are and what you drive. Then when you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out.

--Also if you haven't yet, go to "FOURMS", "SSRFanatics News & Polls", "New Member section" and introduce Yourself!

Nick & Kathy

·
Premium Member
7,342 Posts
Here goes the debate...

If you have access to a good professional tuner, go that route.

However, if you are in a situation like mine where no pro tuner is in the area, a handheld unit does a good job. I have a superchips flashpac and I am very happy with it. It allows me to use pre-programmed tunes and to adjust various things to my liking. Is it as good as a pro tune? Probably not. But it is head and shoulders above the stock factory settings.

I'll duck for incoming now...
"If you have access to a good professional tuner, go that route" Excellent advice. Had mine tuned by Joe Delano from California at the 2015 SSR International Rally ... very happy with results. tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Wizzr: Not from me you won't. The SSR is an individual choice on everything from tunes to customizing...whatever makes you happy you should do.

·
Daily Driver
8,958 Posts
The hand held tuner will never be as good as a pro tune from someone who's done a bunch of SSRs. However the stock tune for GM is verrry conservative. They were concerned with government regulations, warranty costs, and a dozen other restrictions from the higher ups. That being the case a hand held will wake it up appreciably. You just have to be cautious what you change and how much you change it. Have at it and welcome to the family. :00000732:

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,369 Posts
I purchaced an 04 ssr and am thinking of buying a hand held tuner to do upgrades to stock 5.3. Exaust has been upgraded and I am wandering if maybe previous owner may have already done some tuning. How can i tell if stock settings have been changed or will I have to buy the tuner to find out? APPRECIATE ANY HELP!
If you don't mind spending a few dollars just visit the dealer and have them check the program. They can flash it back to stock if needed.

If it were me I would just get the hand held programmer first and check it. If it has issues then go to dealer. I have used the same Superchips programmer for my 03, 04 ,and 05 and was VERY happy with it. The Diablo programmers have a few more indepth options. Sure, it did not squeeze out ever single ounce of power out of it like a tuner but I could change things when and where I wanted and not worry about spending another $100 or so every time or having to send out the computer. The $200 I spent paid for itself many many times over. New tires larger than stock and speedometer off, simple handheld change. Want to run high performance high octane tune one weekend and cheaper gas the next? Read and clear trouble codes? Etc..... Worked great for me!

Good luck with the new ride

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
If you don't mind spending a few dollars just visit the dealer and have them check the program. They can flash it back to stock if needed.

If it were me I would just get the hand held programmer first and check it. If it has issues then go to dealer. I have used the same Superchips programmer for my 03, 04 ,and 05 and was VERY happy with it. The Diablo programmers have a few more indepth options. Sure, it did not squeeze out ever single ounce of power out of it like a tuner but I could change things when and where I wanted and not worry about spending another $100 or so every time or having to send out the computer. The $200 I spent paid for itself many many times over. New tires larger than stock and speedometer off, simple handheld change. Want to run high performance high octane tune one weekend and cheaper gas the next? Read and clear trouble codes? Etc..... Worked great for me!

Good luck with the new ride
:surprise:"New tires larger than stock and speedometer off, simple handheld change."

Are u saying I could buy my own hand held programmer/tuner and correct my speedo.

Planning on the 456 rear gear swap sometime next month. Which will create an error in my speedo reading. I found a shop that says they can perform the correction for $200.....but if what you're saying above works, I might be better off to get one and make the speedo correction myself.:|

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
The superchips can adjust for tire size and/or gear change. At least on my '04. I have stock size tires but I do have a 4:11 gear. One little click on the tuner and the adjustment is done. Speedo is accurate as per GPS. It can adjust for 4:11 and 4:56 but not 4:30. Not sure how it will work with '05 an '06 models but a quick call to superchips might answer the question. Also, not sure you can use one if you already have another non stock tune in your truck. It might wipe out what you already have.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
wizzr: I believe a complete over ride will indeed wipe out any tune but also believe Diablo you can just set the tires and gearing and nothing else. Someone will chime in that has one I'm sure.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,369 Posts
Diablo you can just set the tires and gearing and nothing else. Someone will chime in that has one I'm sure.
U7193 Diablo Predator programmer capabilities for the 03-04 SSR -----

Stock Vehicle Tunes:
Performance Tune: Designed to add power and torque using premium fuel.
87 Octane Tune: (Trucks Only) Designed to add power and torque using low to mid grade fuel.
Factory Tune: Designed for users who wants to adjust parameters using the factory tune.

Specific Features:
Timing Table 1000-3800rpm (+15/- 20%)
Timing Table 4000-4800rpm (+15/- 20%)
Timing Table 5000-7000rpm (+15/- 20%)
Fuel Table 1000-3800rpm (+/- 20%)
Fuel Table 4000-4800rpm (+/- 20%)
Fuel Table 5000-7000rpm (+/- 20%)
Idle (+ 500rpm / -300rpm)
Speed Limiters (Trucks Only)
Rev Limiters
RPM Shift Points
MPH Up and Downshifts
Shift Timing
Shift Pressure
Cooling Fan ON and OFF temperatures
Re-Calibrate Speedometer for Gear and Tire Size Changes
Upshift torque reduction (all gears) ON/OFF
Adjust for different injector size
Adjust COT enable temperature
All standard DiabloSport Predator features
Transmission functions do not apply to trucks with the Allison transmission.

Predator Custom Tuning
Custom tunes are most likely needed if you modified your car, which are available from any CMR dealer.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
And just to add Superchips info for those who care...

Model #2845. Retail price $349.95

Key Product Features from their web site:

High-definition, 2.8" color screen
Redesigned graphic interface for improved user experience
Increased memory with faster processor for improved tuning & updating speed
Performance tuning for Economy, Towing, Daily Driving, & Extreme Tuning
Eliminate downshifting when climbing hills
Speedometer correction for changes in tire size and gear ratio*
Adjust speed & rev limiters*
Tuning for shift points, shift firmness, & TQ management*
Internet updateable with all-new update software via USB
Active fuel management control*
Vehicle parameter monitoring capabilities
Read & clear diagnostic trouble codes
Compatible with other performance upgrades
2-year powertrain warranty

Speedometer Correction
Tire Size - 26^ - 38^
Axle Gear Ratio
Shift Points
Shift Firmness
Torque Management On/Off
Speed Limiter
Rev Limiter
Adjust Fan
Data Acquisition - Advanced + PIDS
DTC Read & Clear
Internet Updateable
Performance Tune(s)
Tow Tune
Economy Tune
+ 18.7 HP & +32.8 lb-ftHP
Performance 18HP 32TQ (91 octane)
Performance LVL 2 12HP 21TQ (tow)
Economy 8HP 14TQ

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,563 Posts
As stated above you can get Jeremy Formato to tune it for you (from Fast Proms)at a rally in the East or South and I wanted to add that there is also Our West Coast friend from Escondido (Joe Delano from West Coast 32) who has joined us several times in Laughlin and at a couple International Rallies. They have both gained good reputations and do updates and tweeks for reasonable prices. In all cases you want to make sure that the dealer does not flash your computer when you leave the vehicle with them.

·
Tech Support/Research
1,735 Posts
SSR Already Tuned?

Relative to your specific question about the possibility of a previously installed tune as it relates to handheld tuners: I can't speak for all of the different ones available, but my Diablo handheld was sold with the capability to be used on only one vehicle at a time. It stores the VIN of the vehicle on which the tune has been applied and is locked from being used on another until that tune is removed (using the device), at which time it is available for reuse or use on a different vehicle. When buying one of these handhelds in the secondary market it's critical that it be unlocked from a specific VIN, otherwise it won't work. Given that, plus not knowing which brand/model of handheld may have been used to tune your truck, I'm not sure that buying one and plugging it in will confirm if your truck already has a tune. It may just start its own process of removing what's installed in the ECM and overwriting it with its own program. I think a professional laptop tuner would be required to determine what's actually installed and whoever is using it would have to be familiar with the factory parameters such as fuel and timing tables to be able to know if they have been changed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
get Jeremy to do it

just did mine last night

ported throttle body and tuning for 550.00

so far the best thing I have done to my 04

mike

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
tuner

Keith Wenzel @ : [email protected] has done a lot of SSR's (currently doing mine after major modes) charges $200. Pull your ecm and send to him
along with your data sheet

rest easy and know it's done right

1 - 19 of 19 Posts