Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive my 04 to the store, return home and park it. Got up the next morning it started gages don’t move the radio will not come and fog lights don’t work.
Battery tested 12 volts and alternator chick out 14.8 and read 13.8 to 14 at the battery?
Help please

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had an incident with my SSR, I swap the fuse box and didn’t tight enough that body fuse (#49) R Will start but no power to windows and other accessories we can start from there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,496 Posts
Turn on your ignition (without starting the engine) and turn on the radio. With the negative meter lead on ground, measure the voltage on first one side of fuse 49 and then the other. Both sides should read 12.5vdc......

Let us know what you find. My bet is that the side of 49 closest to the fender will have 12.5 Vic and the inboard side will have zero.....

Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I clean all the grounds and replaced the 125 amp fuse .
Battery light is still on And gauges do you to not move and radio still dead.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,496 Posts
I clean all the grounds and replaced the 125 amp fuse .
Battery light is still on And gauges do you to not move and radio still dead.
All of your symptoms are indicating lack of power to the aft fuse box.
Are the jackscrews in the aft fuse box tight? Something is really goofy there.

Even though the Foglight fuse is in the engine fuse box, they are enabled by the Body Control Module (aft fuse box).

Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Should I remove , check and clean the back of fuse box or think of replacing it completely?
Thk U for your wisdom

·
Premium Member
2,070 Posts
What else doesn't work?
Windows, door locks, wipers, mirrors, seats, any lights

Personally I would use voltmeter to test and the top of each side of each fuse with the key on IN BOTH FUSE boxes. With black lead connected to a good ground

Any fuse with voltage on only one side is blown
Any fuse with no voltage on either side is a circuit that is not turned on - make note of these and compare to the chart I attached
A good fuse and circuit to the fuse will have close to 12 volts or more on both sides of the fuse
Pay close attention to the fuses highlighted in yellow for possible ignition switch issues. if 0 or low voltage on either side of these fuses with key in run position (other than the crank fuse) suspect a faulty ignition switch.

Post the results of your tests for further information

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I noticed a while back that the acc side of ign switch didn’t work. But after starting the engine everything worked.
Should I entertain the ign switch replacement?

·
SSR Believer
658 Posts
I noticed a while back that the acc side of ign switch didn’t work. But after starting the engine everything worked.
Should I entertain the ign switch replacement?
One of the least expensive, highly recommended projects there is. It might not resolve the issue, but it's a good start IMHO. Others have offered very good advice. They may or may not recommend replacing the ignition switch at this point as it could impact other troubleshooting. Whatever advice they have, be sure and follow it.

If/when you go to replace your ignition switch, be sure to buy the right one and follow the DIY instructions exactly. It's pretty easy on the body too since most all of it can be done by kneeling next to the vehicle by the driver's seat -- no having to lie on your back. (y)

Replacement ignition:

DIY Installation (click "Download" in the top-left toolbar):

1 - 13 of 13 Posts